• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding to the rally from the "west" here are some suggestions

shandeland

Club President
Hope others will feel free to join in with their favorite roads and attractions.

Riding to or from the west many times I have taken this route..

Heading to Minneapolis on Hwy 12 here are some spots to visit;

1. The Petrified Forest in Lemon SD. Admission is free, donations accepted. The museum has a bunch of neat stuff that you can spend way too much time looking at. The people that run it and the gift shop are very nice.

2. Great Plains Family Restaurant in Mobridge SD. Only open 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. they have fantastic pie made by the grandmother of the family that owns it. If you are there on a Sunday they have this really good soup called knoephla, try it.

3. Indian Creek Recreation Area on the east side of Mobridge is a nice place to camp. So is Mina State park just west of Aberdeen.

4. At Ortenville MN stop to visit the Big Stone County Historical Society Museum where they have the Muskegon. A ship that lie on the bottom of Big Stone Lake for 94 years.

From Ortenville you can continue east on Hwy 12, my usual route, or go south on MN Hwy 75 to MN Hwy 7. The second option is my preferred way to leave town as I head west.

Hwy 12 will become I-394 you will follow it to I-94, continuing East. Exit on to Hwy 280 then take the Larpenteur Ave Exit. Go east on Larpenteur about 2.5 miles and the fairgrounds will be on your right. Or Continue on I94 to the Snelling Ave Exit, go north on Snelling to the Fairgrounds. Plan to arrive about 8 p.m. Wednesday evening, set up your tent and walk across the street to Stout's for a burger or pizza and a cold drink.

Twin Cities Riders go ahead and chime in here with other ideas.

Steve

I'm going to chime in about the routing after 394 merges with 94. I personally wouldn't ride a bike through the I-94/I-35 C.F. at any time. ever. (I drive it in a car, but way, way too much chaos through there to ride in it)

When coming into MPLS from the west on 394 I generally get off on Washington/3rd and go through the skirts of downtown. You turn right onto Washington and "Robert is your father's brother" you get to Hennepin (turn left) which becomes Larpenteur, follow to fairgrounds.

Alternately, take a moment to cross Hennepin and turn left at the Mill City Museum and walk the Mill Historic District. Great river views. Get back on Hennepin, etc.

Second alternate, turn left onto Washington and go up to Broadway, turn right and go see the Grain Belt Brewery site. Follow Broadway to NE MPLS. Quite a lot to do there.

Great suggestions for "surface roads" to take. Some folks may prefer to go that way. Also a great way to go if there is an accident on the freeway blocking traffic. Maybe I am nuts but I have gone through downtown on the surface roads many times. In fact I live on one side of downtown and work on the other so I ride through downtown everyday. I also ride 394- 94-35 all the time. Yes it can be crazy, but so are the freeways in Chicago, / Denton Texas, Atlanta, Kansas City, etc and many riders take those everyday.

Having just had an accident 3 weeks ago today (Mini van that had been stopped for over a block of my vision and riding time pulled out of a strip mall just as I was almost there) I feel that an accident can happen on any road. On the freeway there are many things to watch out for just as there are on city streets especially at intersections. I am ok. Insurance called today to say my Bike is "Totaled". Talking with them again tomorrow.

Steve

From Ortenville you can continue east on Hwy 12, my usual route, or go south on MN Hwy 75 to MN Hwy 7.

Here is another way to avoid the I94/I35 - Take the Hwy 7 option from the original post.

Ride 7 into Minneapolis. Lots of options then:

Turn left on Hennepin Ave, it turns into Larpenteur Ave and takes you to the Fairgrounds.

Turn Left on Lyndale, make a stop at http://www.bobsjavahut.com, then continue on Lyndale, it merges with Hennepin, follow the signs, then like above you get to the rally.

You could take Lake Street all the way to Snelling Ave turn left and get there.

Last one - Lake Street to the River Road (either side your choice) turn left go to Franklin Ave turn right (heading mostly east) jog right on to University Ave. Left on Raymond and right on Larpenteur.

Steve

If you come into the metro area on MN hwy7, there's a BMW M/C dealer (Hitching Post) 1/4 block south of 7 at Hopkins Crossrtoad/CoRd 73. It is about 2 miles E of I-494. I live ~ 0.4 mi N of 7.

Medora, ND too:)

July20, Sunday afternoon/evening, The GSGiants have a campout in Medora, ND and the group tour begins for points East and Rally. Its a gathering spot for riders of GS/GSA and others to congregate, camp and ride together the back roads of ND...Some dirt. Starts JULY20 at the Medora Campground in Medora, ND..Im the "Host" and look forward to meeting up:). Ive ridden all the Dakota's thru the years and find this spot at Theodore Roosevelt NP(Medora,ND) a fascinating locale, beautiful. Having ridden my BMWs around this area, but never thru it, so time to explore. Please join US, if you're into back country USA...Youre welcome to come on in to camp Medora with us , even if youre passing thru with your own routes...some may join you and we all end up in St.Paul come Wednesday...."Volunteer" to build an exceptional RALLY experience...Randy"Polarbear"Owens, GSA1200...My contact;559-288-2555 or gsarbear@gmail.com

Almost there:)

I get my "old guy" National Parks Pass this September at age 62:). Ive been buying them every year, so I'm due. I looked into camping at the TRNP campgrounds, but they have no showers:(. I picked the Medora Campground based on the facilities and even though I am a GSA rider and my bike looks the part of dirt byways America, I pick showers every time, at end of days in the saddle:). Sleep better.

Back