• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Recommendations for R1100-RT

dwtshadow

Danny T
Morning All,

I hope this isn't a repeat of a previous thread, but I am looking for suggestions regarding tires for my 2000 R1100-RT. I did a forum search on tires, but it came back with nothing.

I just got back from the Tail of the Dragon and saw that I am down to the cords. It had Metzler Roadtecs on it when I bought the bike last fall and am looking for a tire that will give me some mileage and consistent grip.

Any thoughts?

I was very happy with a set of Bridgestone BT-023 (since replaced by the T30) on my 2000 R1100RT. Replaced them at about 12,000 miles. They probably had another 1,000-2,000 miles in them if I'd wanted to push it a bit. Currently very happy with Michelin Pilot Road 3 at 6,000+ miles and no sign of squaring off, good tread left.

The 880s are pretty fair, but it's hard to beat those Pilot Roads. Very well balanced, great feedback and wet-road capability. (Geeze tires have gotten expensive lately... glad I have a couple stashed in the garage... You're in the northeast, so check prices at Revzilla.) If you spend time in twisties, Pilot Powers are great.

On my 99 R1100RT I ran the Metzeler ME 880. I really liked them and the mileage was good. JMHO

I had Metzeler's ME 880s on my '98 R1100RT. I found the ride to be very rough 13,000 miles. Currently the bike has Metzler's Z8s. I don't how long they'll last but I have a much smoother ride with the Z8s.

The 880s are pretty fair, but it's hard to beat those Pilot Roads. Very well balanced, great feedback and wet-road capability. (Geeze tires have gotten expensive lately... glad I have a couple stashed in the garage... You're in the northeast, so check prices at Revzilla.) If you spend time in twisties, Pilot Powers are great.

PR3's turn my bike into a different animal.

PR3's turn my bike into a different animal.

In the first 6,000 miles, I honestly can't say I notice much difference between the PR3s and the BT-023s (which cost 25% less).

Some have made the case to me that the PR3s will maintain their profile longer into their life, and that they have better wet performance. The first I'll know in, say, 6,000 miles; the second I guess I pretty much have to take on faith. Hard to do an A/B test on that.

In the first 6,000 miles, I honestly can't say I notice much difference between the PR3s and the BT-023s (which cost 25% less).

Some have made the case to me that the PR3s will maintain their profile longer into their life, and that they have better wet performance. The first I'll know in, say, 6,000 miles; the second I guess I pretty much have to take on faith. Hard to do an A/B test on that.

I had a Bridgestone BT-023, which lasted 6k miles. Both the Michelin PR2 and PR3 last about 10k for both the front and rear tire. The Metzler front tire lasted 18k and rear tires lasted about 7k. Right now I use my bike primarily as a commuter bike, so I drive the bike on the same route each day. 75% asphalt, and 25% concrete. Mainly highway driving at 55-60 mph, with few turns. Only a couple stop lights during my 35 mile commute one-way.

While I don't like Bridgestone, I have to admit they performed very well in wet and dry conditions. Actually much better then I had expected. They seem to stick to the road almost as well as the Michelins. But, they wear out faster. While the Bridgestones are cheaper in price, they don't last as long, so they are not a better value for me.

The Michelin rear tires are excellent. Very happy with them. I usually change them out with 2.5mm of rubber left to reach the threads. That is the point where the groves are no longer visible on the tire. I could probably travel another 2-3k before I reached the threads. The front tires wear out way too fast. Michelin actually puts very little rubber on the front tire, which annoys me. I also have to run more air pressure (36-38 psi) on the front tire to keep the cupping down to a minimum. A stronger sidewall and more rubber would make the front tire a premium tire. The front tires wear out on the sidewalls before the top of the tire. Rear tires wears out on the top of the tire. Sticks very well on wet and dry pavement. Very sticky on hot concrete. Love the rear tire, but I am ambivalent with the front tire. Michelin does not make the PR4 for my model of bike, so I can't comment on the PR4. I understand that they have two versions of the PR4. The better version has a stiffer sidewall. I believe that the wear is the same as the PR3, but I could be wrong.

Metzler tires had long wear for the front, and not so good for the rear. Would switch back if they update their tires. In my opinion they seem to be out of date. Especially on wet road performance. But, maybe that is my perception. The sidewalls appeared stronger then the Michelins.

Right now, my preferred tire mfg is Michelin. But, I am unhappy with the front tire. Will be ordering a new set of PR3's in the next month. But, I am keeping an eye out for a better tire in the future.

While I don't like Bridgestone, I have to admit they performed very well in wet and dry conditions. Actually much better then I had expected.

So what's not to like? :laugh

The Michelin...The front tires wear out way too fast.

I've had bigger issues with Dunlop Roadsmart wearing out really fast. Not so with my Pilot Road

I also have to run more air pressure (36-38 psi) on the front tire to keep the cupping down to a minimum.

Could be you have a suspension issue. I typically run 33 psi and suffer no cupping on any tire I put on my bikes.

I understand that they have two versions of the PR4. The better version has a stiffer sidewall. I believe that the wear is the same as the PR3, but I could be wrong.

A different version has a stiffer sidewall. Wear of the PR4 is allegedly in the area of 20% better.

Good discussion.

Great discussion and input. I had to make a quick decision because I was down to the cords. I was leaning toward changing to the Michelin PR3's but had been told they will be discontinued and the 4's don't have the 18" for the rear. That being said, I took the easy way out and ordered the Metzler Z8's. I got good mileage on the Z6's and they did seem to ride smoothly. Also, considering I went down to the cords on the Dragon and it still held was impressive; even in the on and off rain we rode through.

Thanks all. Maybe we should have a sticky for tire comparisons for different bikes and riding styles.

Sad to see the Michelin PR2 fading from the shelves now that the PR4 is out. Love that tire on the RT. Rolls in nice and long lasting. Apparently the PR3 will be gone soon too. I just ordered my first PR3 front just to try it out but I hear they are no better or worse than the PR2 was. Time will tell I guess. I still have an unused Roadsmart 2 in the shed that I MUST use up! My rear always seems to go when I'm far from home.

What I do notice is every version of Michelin in the last four years has risen in price about 15 to 30 bucks. :brow

I just ordered my first PR3 front just to try it out but I hear they are no better or worse than the PR2 was. Time will tell I guess.

Not my experience AT ALL!
Ran the original PRs on my R11S. Loved them, until I tried the Pirelli Diablo Strada. In comparison, the PR felt wooden. Ran MANY sets of the Pirellis. Then I tried the PR2. An improvement from the PR1, but still liked the Pirellis better. Preferred the feel and handling of Conti Road Attack, but life was not so great. Spooned on a set of the PR3s last summer, now have 6K on 'em. They are a great tire, and I still have a ton of miles left on them. BIG improvement from the PR2s. Touring mode, canyon mode, even dirt.. all good. Have a set of the new Pirelli Angel GTs waiting to put on next, but these PR3s are just not wearing out.
EVERYthing I read on line said they were worth the uptick in price over the PR2s, and NOthing indicated that the 4s were massively better.

If you could get the PR3s at a good price, they would do you very well. And just from my experience with the Pirellis, I would not hesitate to suggest the Angel GTs.

the pr4 gt got me 12.5k, excellent set of tires. i really could have pushed them another 3k but needed a more aggressive set for the haul road. handling was superb as well. metzlers are a bit rough riding for my liking.

Pity about the PR3,s being phased out. i ran 10000 miles in 11 days on the '13 IBR on my 2000 rt..will keep using them till i am forced to try something else..

I haven't seen anything from Michelin saying the PR3 is discontinued. With the PR4 not available in all sizes, hard to see the PR3 not continuing.

I haven't seen anything from Michelin saying the PR3 is discontinued. With the PR4 not available in all sizes, hard to see the PR3 not continuing.

Info came from the tire vendor at the John Day Rally. Maybe they were trying to push the new stock on hand ?

Interesting to note that the Michelin Motorcycle Tire site http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tire-selector#s=0 still shows the Pilot Road, Pilot Road 2, Pilot Road 3 and the Pilot Road 4 without any indication of obsolescence. Trying to buy some of them however might not be possible. YMMV!

Got the Mich PR3 front tire(on sons recommendation) to replace the heavily dry rotted Metz my new/used 03 came with and what a difference. The bike went from very heavy steering to awesome. The Dunlop on the back stays for now as its next to new. The front made all the difference. I can't imagine what a match set will be like?

Back