• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Connection from Corbin Canyon Seat to R1150 Fuse Panel

JRD

Live the Dream
I need the fused wiring connector from a Corbin Canyon heated seat to the fuse panel of my BMW R1150R. Unbelievably, Corbin does not sell this part separately. Attached is are pics of the connector on the seat which is probably the same for all R1150 series bikes. I'm posting this on the chance that someone may have one to spare. If not, advice or experience on how to make one would be appreciated.

Pics can also be viewed at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mz4wfht1lyn9g2x/AADlxwLet1LhzKz9XA9E_Hima

Thanks, JD

Attachments

• Corbin Canyon Connector pic 1.jpg
    Corbin Canyon Connector pic 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 46
  • Corbin Canyon Connector pic 3.jpg
    Corbin Canyon Connector pic 3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 46
Not only NAPA, but probably any place that sells auto trailer accessories. Looks like the exact same animal.

Sounds like you want two fuses in series... why? If one is the correct size, then two only reduces reliability (by increasing the number of connections) and increases the series resistance, lowering the available current to produce your heat.

Not only NAPA, but probably any place that sells auto trailer accessories. Looks like the exact same animal.

Sounds like you want two fuses in series... why? If one is the correct size, then two only reduces reliability (by increasing the number of connections) and increases the series resistance, lowering the available current to produce your heat.

Thanks for that and the previous post about the connector. The Corbin customer service reps have been nice but not too helpful in sorting this out so your advice is greatly appreciated.

As shown in the pics, the female connector on the seat has two wires running to it: red and black. The black one is labeled with a tag reading "2/03 UNVB." Don't know what that means...

Corbin sent me a fuse holder with a 7.5 amp fuse and 4" red pigtail which will get me connected to the bike's fuse panel. I would connect the red lead from the fuse holder to the (new) male Delphi WeatherPack connector and then to the connector on the seat. So much for the hot/red wire connection.

Instructions on the Corbin website state that the black wire is the ground wire. I haven't looked at the fuse panel lately, perhaps it includes a grounding terminal for that connection.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks for that and the previous post about the connector. The Corbin customer service reps have been nice but not too helpful in sorting this out so your advice is greatly appreciated.

As shown in the pics, the female connector on the seat has two wires running to it: red and black. The black one is labeled with a tag reading "2/03 UNVB." Don't know what that means...

Corbin sent me a fuse holder with a 7.5 amp fuse and 4" red pigtail which will get me connected to the bike's fuse panel. I would connect the red lead from the fuse holder to the (new) male Delphi WeatherPack connector and then to the connector on the seat. So much for the hot/red wire connection.

Instructions on the Corbin website state that the black wire is the ground wire. I haven't looked at the fuse panel lately, perhaps it includes a grounding terminal for that connection.

What do you think?
The best is to run it right back to Battery -.

Tying to one of the Brown wires (BMW's negative colour) could cause issues depending on it's circuit loads.

Unless somebody actually added an after-market one, the 1150R doesn't have a "fuse panel"; it has a box under the seat with the row of fuses.
Not certain, but it appears that Corbin would rather you wire it directly to the battery (thus their supplied in-line fuse); or if there is a "panel" or fuseblock, yes to that is ok too. You would need to verify that whichever path you select on a fuseblock will actually support the current required.
Red to positive and black to negative/ground (side note: BMW's "ground" wires are brown, per the Bosch color code, but do NOT just splice your black wire into an existing brown, I agree w/ what GSA says); someplace on the frame might be more handy (less wiring) than going to the battery, as long as that point has perfect continuity back to the negative post of the battery.
As to the physical "how", you'll probably need to crimp on a couple of lugs (maybe with some heat-shrink tubing for extra protection) to mate with what & wherever your ultimate source of 12 volts is.

Only problem with wiring direct is one must remember to turn the seat off when leaving the bike or a flat battery will be waiting upon your return.
A switched positive is more desirable.
Using a relay or tapping into the heated grip circuit on the hot side of the fuse and fusing the tap lead per corbin's specification.
They make a piggyback tap that sneaks in on the fuse blade.

thanks guys. Corbin's online instructions (with pics) show how to connect the red wire directly into the fuse box at a specific location with a provided fuse holder adapter and then ground the black wire directly to the frame at one of the small hex head bolts just forward of the fuse box.

Unfortunately the fuse holder adapter that the Corbin rep sent me is too small for my bike. I need the larger one as shown in the attached pic which shows what Corbin sent (above two items) and the size I need (below) to fit the receptacle in my bike's fuse box. The fuse shown at the bottom of the pic is the actual 7.5 amp fuse from the specified location in the box and the adapter must be that size.

Where would I get such a fuse holder adapter? BMW dealer? Auto parts store? The terminal connectors to the seat and fuse box are the missing links, once I get them I know how to make the pigtail I need.

Excuse any wrong terminology as I try to describe this situation and part names that are unfamiliar to me.

Attachments

• Corbin Pigtail with Small Fuse Holder and Larger Size Needed.jpg
    Corbin Pigtail with Small Fuse Holder and Larger Size Needed.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 27
thanks guys. Corbin's online instructions (with pics) show how to connect the red wire directly into the fuse box at a specific location with a provided fuse holder adapter and then ground the black wire directly to the frame at one of the small hex head bolts just forward of the fuse box.

Unfortunately the fuse holder adapter that the Corbin rep sent me is too small for my bike. I need the larger one as shown in the attached pic which shows what Corbin sent (above two items) and the size I need (below) to fit the receptacle in my bike's fuse box. The fuse shown at the bottom of the pic is the actual 7.5 amp fuse from the specified location in the box and the adapter must be that size.

Where would I get such a fuse holder adapter? BMW dealer? Auto parts store? The terminal connectors to the seat and fuse box are the missing links, once I get them I know how to make the pigtail I need.

Excuse any wrong terminology as I try to describe this situation and part names that are unfamiliar to me.

Start at the auto parts stores, the piggyback will to be very narrow as the fuses are very close together.
If you strike out, PM me I can make something up for you and mail.

Start at the auto parts stores, the piggyback will to be very narrow as the fuses are very close together.
If you strike out, PM me I can make something up for you and mail.

Thanks for the offer. I've requested the larger piggyback from Corbin, but I'll be amazed if I get it from them. New seats is what they like to sell and I bought mine used w/o the connector, thus the need for all this. The original owner lost the connector but the price was right so I bought the seat anyway.

Back