• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Good parts source?

dennisarner

It seems I would be able to part out my new to me 1983 r100rs for about 4 times what I paid for it, seeing the asking prices of used parts on ebay. But I would rather get it fixed up, so I am in need of new parts, such as front and rear rotors at the moment. I guess location does not matter due to the shipping efficiencies we enjoy. Can someone recommend a good source for parts at a reasonable price? I am seeing front rotors for $355 ea = $710 total? I will soon have more in the brakes than I bought the whole bike for. :)

I found several similar to the max site. I am looking for reasonably priced aftermarket parts. $355 for a rotor is insane. You can get one for a Volvo for less than $100.

I found several similar to the max site. I am looking for reasonably priced aftermarket parts. $355 for a rotor is insane. You can get one for a Volvo for less than $100.

Hell, you can get an original one for a Porsche 993 for about $180 and it is vented and drilled.

A possible option

Try SPIEGLER, at one time, I believe, they sold after market rotors mounted to original carriers on an exchange basis.

The info came with the new brake lines I purchased from them a few years ago. Good Luck

These things are like old air cooled 911's. Pay the price and buy a good one . .....or buy one cheap and end up with a lot more in it.

The car rotors referenced are iron. The Airhead rotors are stainless.

Econ 101: there are likely at least 10 times more Volvos in the world than Airheads. Comparing parts prices between the two is apples/oranges and ridiculous.

Since iron rotors for your bike will be a performance increase, they may be more expensive. They will of course show rust.

Checkout EBC rotors--they are probably cheaper and you can fantasize they're better because they're "floating."

EBC's -- I see front left and rights at superstore but no rear listed. It appears from my measurements that the rear is the same as the front (diameter and offset) and that a front left would work on the rear. Can anyone confirm this?

roto pice

I checked the link in reply #2 for a UK parts place. They have an after market roto for 85.50usd.
I need one myself, you try it if it works ok let us know. Be the first to review it.
joe

I checked the link in reply #2 for a UK parts place. They have an after market roto for 85.50usd.
I need one myself, you try it if it works ok let us know. Be the first to review it.
joe

Are you talking about the Grimeca rotors? If so, I purchased a set about 5-6 years ago and I've been very happy with them. They come with new carriers and the rotors are bolted on (to the carriers) instead of riveted like the BWM; as such, replacement in the future should be easier and cheaper since the rotor can be unbolted from the carrier. For the OP's 1983 bike, they would be about $163 each.

Try these guys

Benchmark out of Sturgis, Mississippi-they have had the best prices on anything I've purchased. Not only that, they are also extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Chuck

EBC's -- I see front left and rights at superstore but no rear listed. It appears from my measurements that the rear is the same as the front (diameter and offset) and that a front left would work on the rear. Can anyone confirm this?

Same part number front and rear.

Back