• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW riders and TATOOS!

G

gened12

Hi My wife says that BMW riders are NOT bikers because we do not wear tatoos like the Harley guys. I tried to explain that we are bikers nonetheless with our own code of conduct (helping out on the road, like speed but not recklessly, love fine german motorcycles and kermit chairs, smart enough to wear safety gear etc...) but she refuses to believe that any of us are real bikers and are really commited unless we have a tatoo.

MY BIG QUESTION IS: How many of you have got a tatoo to show your commitment to being a real biker AND what is your tatoo AND where is is located on your body. Depending on the response I might just have to conceed to my wife (AHRRRR) and my be forced to get a tatoo or I will prove my point (yeahhh)

Denis #119526 oilhead R1200GS :D

I respect my body and I am a motorcyclist. Would never consider subcutaneous ink. I don't necessarily consider tatoos disrespectful to one's body, everyone has their own thoughts on that, but I have no basis in my personal belief system or aesthetic sensibilities that tells me that ink under my skin is a choice I want to make. Also, if I got a tatoo I think my wife would throw me out of the house! That's part of why I love her.

Last edited:
Tattoos and pierced

Hey Mrs. Gened12--Ole Ironhorsecowboy hear has 2 Tattoos and a few piercings! Wanna get a few more before I'm thru. :brow
My tattoos did not have a thing to do with Motorcycles. A portrait of my son when he was a baby (he just turned 24) also my wifes portrait when she was young and 1st married (25 years of marriage this October).They are like history of life from times gone by. I can always remember those times when I look at those tattoos.

What no BAD-TO-THE-BONE tatooes yet?

Looks like I'm almost winning my argument at this point...

No-one with the BMW logo on their butt? :D

Denis R1200Gs

I own three bikes (2 BMW, 1 Triumph) and have two tattoos on my upper right arm. Neither of them have anything to do with bikes. I just like them.

Got the first tattoo at age 40. Come to think of it I bought my first bike also at age 40. And now that I mentioned that, I got my ear piereced at...you guessed it age 40.

Maybe there is a connection!

Rick G
:brow

I have 1 tattoo, upper left arm. It's the Department of Defense firefighter shield, surrounded by a lick of flame with 24 points on it. I got it when I was an army firefighter. I wasn't ever going to get one, but the rest of the truck crew got one, and was pressuring me to get one too. I had a reservation about ever piercing or painting any part of my body. But.... as it was drawn, each lick of flame represents 1 soul we pulled out of a downed C-130. I am convinced that it means a great deal more than just ink, and peer pressure. (Didn't take much convincing, and it's something that I'm glad I got when I look back on it.)
I don't know that I'll ever get another one, although I've been debating something for about 11 years now. I just can't find a design that measures up. If I do, it won't be anything brand related. (Of any brand)

I do know that there is a young lady who has a Rider glyhp on her ankle... somewhere on the forum there is a picture of it. I do have an acquaintance that has a Mercedes Logo on her lower back. But she drives a Toyota.

So am I right we are not TRUE bikers?

Great responses from everyone. I have nothing against (or for that matter for) tatoos. My point was that real bikers do not need tatoos. My wife differs (see the first post). So who has a BMW motorcycle related tatoo?

I was thinking that if I were to get a tatoo, it would have to be practical. I would post an A on my right arm and a corresponding A on my right shoulder, then a B on my left arm and a corresponding B on my left shoulder then a C on my forehead and a corresponding C on the front of my throat annd so on... On my torso I would tatoo an outline of a body with the part numbers and where they go.

In case of a bad crash, a map could end up practical... :D

Please keep your tatoo posts coming, I haven't yet won my argument withe the significant half YET.

Cheers

Denis R1200GS :brow

You might not be alone

mysticranger said:
I own three bikes (2 BMW, 1 Triumph) and have two tattoos on my upper right arm. Neither of them have anything to do with bikes. I just like them.

Got the first tattoo at age 40. Come to think of it I bought my first bike also at age 40. And now that I mentioned that, I got my ear piereced at...you guessed it age 40.

Maybe there is a connection!

Rick G
:brow
Hi I got my first bike ever this spring and Im 43... no tatoos yet unless I loose my argument, and no piercings either (unless you count the ones I was born with... :D ) What are your tatoos then?

Cheers

Denis !200GS

Nothing wrong with that.

einnar said:
I have 1 tattoo, upper left arm. It's the Department of Defense firefighter shield, surrounded by a lick of flame with 24 points on it. I got it when I was an army firefighter. I wasn't ever going to get one, but the rest of the truck crew got one, and was pressuring me to get one too. I had a reservation about ever piercing or painting any part of my body. But.... as it was drawn, each lick of flame represents 1 soul we pulled out of a downed C-130. I am convinced that it means a great deal more than just ink, and peer pressure. (Didn't take much convincing, and it's something that I'm glad I got when I look back on it.)
I don't know that I'll ever get another one, although I've been debating something for about 11 years now. I just can't find a design that measures up. If I do, it won't be anything brand related. (Of any brand)

Hi, Great post. Nothing wrong with that. You and your buddies should be all very proud of what you did.

Cheers

Denis

My kind of girl

BradfordBenn said:
I do know that there is a young lady who has a Rider glyhp on her ankle... somewhere on the forum there is a picture of it. I do have an acquaintance that has a Mercedes Logo on her lower back. But she drives a Toyota.

Hi, Now just imagine if she had a boxer engine layout on her lower back, One could not keep their eyes off her lovely features ( I mean the cylinder head of course) Also If you squint real hard a Mercedes logo can look like a Toyota logo :D

By the way, I love the ears on your helmet. At what speed do they go way flat?

Cheers

Denis R1200GS

I'm afraid so

CARVERBOATBOY said:
I have 2 ................ do I have to sell my bike?

Jeff

Dear Sam, On behalf of the BMW motorcycle owners of America, I regret to inform you that due to your 2 tatoos, we will have to confiscate your bike. I am willing to look after them personally.... since you are not helping my case. By the way what are your tatoos.
:D

Cheers

Denis R1200GS

Got my first and only tattoo on my first solo trip out of state. 16 years old, on a motorcycle 250 miles to my uncle's house. I guess it was a rite of passage. A tiger's head, fierce with ears flattened out, on my left calf. About the size of a silver dollar. 23 years ago, way before tattoos were cool.

Thinking about a family crest very large on my back (argent shield with red chevron and 10 red crosses) we were defenders of the church.

I have a friend with the Yamaha tuning forks logo tattoo, it looks really cool.

Tattoo you.....

MY BIG QUESTION IS: How many of you have got a tatoo to show your commitment to being a real biker AND what is your tatoo AND where is is located on your body. Depending on the response I might just have to conceed to my wife (AHRRRR) and my be forced to get a tatoo or I will prove my point (yeahhh)

I played my pipes in a Tattoo in Edinburgh, Scotland. Does that qualify?

Makes about as much sense as suggesting that in order to become something that you have to get a tattoo versus doing that which you wish to become. I follow the way of Zen. I don't need a tattoo to advertise.
I certainly appreciate fine Japanese body art. I've played rugby with some extraordinary Maori men who had equally superb patterns etched into their skin. These tracings had purpose and meaning. They were not done frivolously.

Tell your wife that Harley sells temporary tattoos, perhaps she'll feel better.

PS I correct others when they refer to me as a biker. I don't like the term. It associates me with a group of people that I try to avoid.

Adios,
T.

This thread was just meant to be light hearted

Callmethebreeze said:
I played my pipes in a Tattoo in Edinburgh, Scotland. Does that qualify?

Makes about as much sense as suggesting that in order to become something that you have to get a tattoo versus doing that which you wish to become. I follow the way of Zen. I don't need a tattoo to advertise.
I certainly appreciate fine Japanese body art. I've played rugby with some extraordinary Maori men who had equally superb patterns etched into their skin. These tracings had purpose and meaning. They were not done frivolously.

Tell your wife that Harley sells temporary tattoos, perhaps she'll feel better.

PS I correct others when they refer to me as a biker. I don't like the term. It associates me with a group of people that I try to avoid.

Adios,
T.

Point well made, but I did not mean the thread to be taken so personally. Strangely enough though ever since I bought a motorcycle, my wife has been pestering me about this tatoo issue, not that I care about it one bit, I just like to ride and ride a loa nd ride fast and ride a BMW motorcycle because they are well made. And come to think of it also smell the roadkill (not just see it as when I'm in a car). Now that adds a new dimension to the word involvement.

Denis R1200 GS
:)

Back