• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW riders and TATOOS!

Denis sounds like your wife may have a little thing for tattoos (no offense) show up with a temp one to see if you get a + reaction.

Might be worth a little pain, for a lifetime of giving her a little boost

Long story, but my friend wound up with a pair of fingerless (worthless) biker gloves. He put them on and was clowning around for his super conseravtive straight laced, lawyer wife and she nearly broke his back. You never know what pushes what buttons.

Tattoos and midlife crisis

Got a Kokopelli tattoo on my left thigh (inside) when I was fifty. Got my bike at 55. A couple of hip surgeries at the age of 53 made the motorocyling possible. And prevents me from getting another tatoo.

love to ride. no tatts. never even got one when i was younger and more stupider.

Been riding Beemers for 20 years. I have 5 tats, my wife 3. She has a butterfly, flower and heart and I have well, look at my avatar.

I'm starting a new fad...

...being tattoo free!

Getting "ink" is a personal thing, and I know how important they are to some people as reminders, symbols, etc. I have nothing against tattoos or the people that wear them.

But, it's very different in today's world. When I was a kid, the only people that had tattoos were ladies in a circus sideshow, or guys that had served overseas and had the mermaid on their arm.

Go to a summer event now, when people are showing a little skin, and you'll see more people with tattoos than without. Teens and even pre-teens, in some cases with real ink on their arms, backs, and legs. Housewives with butterflies on their shoulders.

Not for me, since I already have enough scars and marks on my body. Like I said, soon, if not already, I'm a loner, a rebel, a guy with no ink. :brow

Taking a breath

gened12 said:
Point well made, but I did not mean the thread to be taken so personally. Strangely enough though ever since I bought a motorcycle, my wife has been pestering me about this tatoo issue, not that I care about it one bit, I just like to ride and ride a loa nd ride fast and ride a BMW motorcycle because they are well made. And come to think of it also smell the roadkill (not just see it as when I'm in a car). Now that adds a new dimension to the word involvement.

Denis R1200 GS
:)

My apologies. Got a bit overwrought. Will go break some boards with my head. Thanks for your comments.
Cheers,
T :thumb

Wife's name, plus a cross and a heart on either end of the name - tattooed on my ring finger right where the ring would go. Been married 25 years.

No tats, but lots of miles

Uninked at present, and no plans for the future. But I ride a lot of miles every year. I do occasionally wear BMW t-shirts.

Got this (avatar) a few years ago - Bob Nye took this pic at the race in Daytona.

I noticed an immediate improvement in my riding skills when I got it, by the way. Maybe having ink makes you faster, just like black is the fastest color. :D

Motogirl

Love your old school Motoman he is a million times better than the new swoopy one.

Black machines are slower than silver or white

German, White or Silver, never red!
English, BRG (non metallic BTW)
American, Red White or Black
Italian, Red, (people like black or yellow as well, but this is blasphemy)
French, Blue (who cares)
Japanese, Red White or Black

This can be superceded buy a brandÔÇÖs racing colors in certain cases
Example; Subaru Blue

Got two. both at age 40. I have a wedding band tattoo since I can't wear a ring and the other is Japanese calligraphy on my left shoulder. Glad to have them both as they both mean so much to me. You gotta think long and hard cause forever is a long time. I ride a bike, I am not sure I will ever be a biker.

i'm thinking about getting more and even dumber ones than the ones i got when i was younger. i'm defenetly thinking a big motorcycle themed thing, maybe even a tattoo of myself (in full gear of course) with my old bike in the background to commemorate my road trip. it seems like everytime i get the cash i find a new accessory for the bike. a buddy of mine just got the picture of the guy lying out on the vincent black lightning setting the world speed record in a bathing suit on the salt flats in the early fifties, takes up his entire forearm............

Interesting.

selil said:
Former job required no ink any place on my body, but now I'm a state employee.

What kind of place had a rule like that? How would they know? Chippendale dancer?

I have a large scar on my body, and it felt like I was struck by lightning when it was made. I am not a big fan of identifying marks, but since the scar is already there, the lightning bolt I put across it seems to fit.

I want to get the packer "G" on my shoulder. I have a rule about tattoos, when i want one I decide what I want and then wait 10 years. if I still want that same tattoo I get it. I still don't have one yet, but want that packer one and its been 10 years.

Rules?

My rules....and only for me, of course, is:

No brands, no cartoons, and no girl's names.

I got my first (and only, so far) with three or four sibs and their swmbo's on the occasion of my parent's 50th anniversary about ten years ago. One parent dead now. Makes each of our marks mean someting more, now.

Mine's a candy-ass tat. About silver-dollar sized of an outlined eagle head (kinda like Motogirl's) on my right shoulder blade. If you're lucky, you'll never see it. Shirt stays on for pig-body reasons.

I hate needles. No tatts. It's hard to improve on the human body, IMHO.

That said, I know a woman with full sleeves that were done by a Japanese guy. They're the beautiful Japanese tattoos with the koi and the lilies and all and are magnificent. She told me that the whole tattoo will tell a story when it's done.

I try not to wear shirts with labels or logos as I try to identify myself by my actions and my person, not a label or mark. I think about the things I would have put on my body in my twenties and I don't think I'd want them there now. I don't even wear logo Tshirts or attire that often any more.

I was talking to a guy when I was getting my hair cut and commented on his tattoo. He asked me if I had any and when I said I did not, he replied that he wished he'd not gotten one as everybody has them now.

These days, I think many tattoos are the result of people following a temporary trend that has permanent implications.

YMMV, of course, as everyone has a different motivation for body modifications..

I have two. The second one is this gecko without the writing:
cssd1_thumbnail.jpg

as I am a parrothead. Got it the night before a Jimmy Buffett concert. It's on the outside of my left ankle.

The first one is this dog without the roundel:

logo.jpg

Not just any dog, of course, and, while I am a Sled Dog, I still asked permission from the founder before getting it tattoed. This one is on my right shoulder blade. So, I guess this one does go with my riding. But I ain't no biker. I'm a motorcyclist.

gened12 said:
Dear Sam, On behalf of the BMW motorcycle owners of America, I regret to inform you that due to your 2 tatoos, we will have to confiscate your bike. I am willing to look after them personally.... since you are not helping my case. By the way what are your tatoos.
:D

Cheers

Denis R1200GS

One on my calf of Betty Boop playing volleyball  (Very bikerish) and an arm band on my left bicep.

Jeff
PS If you need to take my bike bring friends :thumb

Back