• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW riders and TATOOS!

Mar said:
You know what the definition of a tattoo is, don't you? A tattoo is permanent proof of temporary insanity.

Not necessarily my opinion... just something I heard years ago.

Check out this guy: www.stalkingcat.com. Why limit body changes to tattoos? :) Those are metal implants in his lip, by the way, to attach the whiskers.

If You Are Going To Have A Pet You Should Keep It On A Leash....
I Wouldn't Be Caught In Public With Something That Looked Like That... :sick

Tatoos UGH

Tatooed people put me in mind of Jailbirds and other low lifes. I know that many people in respectable walks of life have them. I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a tatoo enhances their appearance. :violin

I have to remember......

amiles said:
Tatooed people put me in mind of Jailbirds and other low lifes. I know that many people in respectable walks of life have them. I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a tatoo enhances their appearance. :violin

Article [I.]
Congress shall make no law....snip... respecting abridging the freedom of speech, ....snipped non-relative passages....

Your opinion, of course, yours. In the case of tattoos, most people either do not care or are pleased that others hold your attitude. I happen to maintain the former.

Although unnecessary for either of us to voice our opinions on the issue, I will fight to the death for your right to make judgemental statements.

Last edited:
amiles said:
I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a tatoo enhances their appearance.
I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a narrow mind enhances their appearance, especially when they're vocal about it.

I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a tatoo enhances their appearance.

In many cases aesthetics are actually not the strongest consideration. For many of today's disenfranchised youth, they feel that their bodies are the only thing they truly own or have control over. For others it could be more a rite of history- of marking themselves as a way of recording where they've been. My best friend has one on his arm that at first looks like some sick psycho thing- it's the name MEGHAN done totally in red, and in a scribbly hand with a letter reversed. Turns out that it's a precise copy of how his very young daughter signs her name to the pictures she draws in school. He's going through some very tough times in life these days, and his daughter is probably the main reason he hasn't killed himself. The tattoo serves him as a reminder, as a beacon that he must never lose sight of what is most important to him.

Flash, apparently having an opinion that you disagree with makes one "Narrow Minded". I didn't say that having a narrow mind enhances ones appearance, although to (as you say narrow minded) me an absence of tattoos looks better than their presence.

The Veg, I suppose that there are reasons for self mutilation in the youth, I just don't happen to agree with it as a useful option in life, if you do so, more power to you. I suppose that your friend is fortunate that something so simple as a tatoo can be the "beacon" in his life

Selil, I didn't say that anyone who has a tatoo "is" a jailbird or low life, calm down & read more carefully. I said "Tatooed people put me in mind of Jailbirds and other low lifes." Further I said "I know that many people in respectable walks of life have them. I just don't see why anyone thinks that having a tatoo enhances their appearance" Did you miss this or ignore it as it didn't fit into your personal attack implying that I am close (closed?) minded and thus "inbred"?

One chooses to have a tatoo. Some people love them...Some people hate them... Why hating them makes one narrow minded and inbred while someone who likes them is well adjusted and a fine person escapes me.

Please, personal attacks will not elevate you over others.

Thanks amiles. I think we're on a closer sheet of music than you think. I'm not into them myself, nor do I promote them or think they're cool. They're just *there* and I know the less obvious reasons simply from association with people who have them.

Selil, your list of occupations reminds me of two more personal associations. I have a friend who came "this close" to being a Unitarian minister (finished seminary but decided not to be ordained after an internship as a hospital chaplain) who has two (a phoenix on one arm and a 'HOPE' logo from an Elton John album on the other). His are life-symbolic.
And then my mother has a friend I've never met who is a psychiatrist. She's 40-something and thought about getting a grey alien on the upper part of one breast, but then nixed the plan when she thought about how it would look after a few years of gravity taking its toll.

I'd persoanlly never get one, but the stories are interesting.

amiles said:
Flash, apparently having an opinion that you disagree with makes one "Narrow Minded".
No not at all. I learn more from people who disagree with me than I ever do from those who agree. One of the great values of diversity is different viewpoints and the logic (or history) behind them.

If you feel that your statement "Tatooed people put me in mind of Jailbirds and other low lifes," exhibits a broad minded attitude, please help me understand. I guess there is something there that I am just not getting. Thank you.

selil said:
Arrogance or ignorance many law enforcement officers, preachers, doctors, and secretaries have tattoos. Some people think memoralizing events, things, or events in their life is important. Kind of like a wedding ring, but a tattoo is forever.
That's me! Two of them. My wife and childrens' names. I think I'm neither arrogant nor ignorant. I wanted a tattoo and they were the most important people in my life. Why do people judge what others do? Why not admit some do things and others do not and all for a variety of reasons, some of which you may never had concidered. To each their own!

P.S. The best tattoo I ever saw was on this guy's chest. It was a zipper from belly button to Adam's apple. The zipper was spread open in the middle to reveal clock work inside.

Amiles is entitled to his opinion.

I can see where he might get the stereotype about tattoos, so I understand where he's coming from. But 99 blue marbles doesn't make the last one red. It's all okay.

Last edited:
the body

lol veg...the grey alien thang was soooooooooooooooooooo funny.....I do whatever I want to my bod....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....but my eyesight ain't what it use to be... :groovy

Tattoos reflect fleeting passions. Then they sag.

The Veg said:
And then my mother has a friend I've never met who is a psychiatrist. She's 40-something and thought about getting a grey alien on the upper part of one breast, but then nixed the plan when she thought about how it would look after a few years of gravity taking its toll.

THAT is why I've never gotten a tattoo. I have nothing against them on others. Some look good; more do not. But I've not yet found a design that would meet my criterion: It would have to be something that I'd be proud to have on my body when I'm 65.

I see 20-somethings today all tattooed, and I wonder: What's that going to look like to you and others in 35 years? But of course, it's the nature of 20-somethings not to look that far ahead, I guess. I probably didn't.

But on the subject of whether I'm a "real biker"... It's just a term. I ride motorcycles. What you want to call me is up to you. Frankly, I don't care.

jdt367 said:
Flash is entitled to his opinion. I can see where he might get the stereotype about tattoos, so I understand where he's coming from. But 99 blue marbles doesn't make the last one red. It's all okay.
You've got me confused with someone else. I generally like tattoos and people who have them.

flash412 said:
You've got me confused with someone else. I generally like tattoos and people who have them.
You are right, I meant Amiles (sp?) - sorry.

Not Impressed

amiles said:

Wow, it's pretty easy to disrepect someone when you post anonymously. Your statement carries no weight with me. That's my opinion, YMMV. :stick

Charles, you just reminded me of a hilarious cartoon I saw years ago, I think in Newsweel or someplace like that. It showed two very wrinkled, very old men sitting in wheelchairs in a nursing home. They had various piercings and tattoos, including tribal bands and one that said "Alanis rulez." One old guy is saying to the other, "I see you were an idiot back in the '90s too."

:ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha

ok, I thought it was about time to gross everyone out. Someone once sent me this photo.. I don't know who it is, but I'm not sure I'd want my daughter dating him if I had one

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 398
Yikes!

snoone said:
ok, I thought it was about time to gross everyone out. Someone once sent me this photo.. I don't know who it is, but I'm not sure I'd want my daughter dating him if I had one
Who would hire this person? imagine having him as a neighbour... Might be the nicest person in the world, but I would never really want to find out!

What would push a person to mutilate a good body to this extent? This goes way beyond what I had in mind for this light humored thread... Thanks for the pic though.

Cheers

Denis 1200GS

Hopefully it makes him happy. I just wonder how long it takes him to get through the metal detector at the airport?

Back