• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW riders and TATOOS!

A very pertinent opinion

JMister said:
Tats should be a personal decision. Weather you want to have something on your body for the rest of your life or not is a personal choice and should not be a label of who or what you are.

Personally, I have no tats or piercing and not planning on getting any. I plan on leaving this world in the closest resemblance as I came into it. Just a personal choice.

As far as a biker or motorcycle enthusiast you could call me biker.

Biker; what is a true definition of a biker? Is it an outward appearance or a state of mind, an enthusiasm for the enjoyment of the experience? The appearance or the camaraderie?

Personally, my buddies call me a biker due to it doesnÔÇÖt matter what you ride just so that you ride. If youÔÇÖre ever in need of help or assistance I would be there tats or not. This is MY definition of a biker. A motorcyclist to me is the person who would fly by you when youÔÇÖre broke down along the side of the road. I donÔÇÖt say this because I have a HD parked in my garage (IÔÇÖve never owned one and donÔÇÖt plan on it). Seems to me that a lot of people associate bikers with ÔÇ£1%ÔÇØ (outlaw bikers) and no, I donÔÇÖt hang with people like that, they usually have their own support vehicle to assist when they break down.

A good example of my point is when my wife and I were traveling out to the west coast this year we were getting our gear loaded on the bike outside of the motel and there were 3 metric cruisers parked next to me. I said ÔÇ£morning ÔÇ£and I was snubbed by the 3 couples wearing their leather vests, chaps and chains. I guess they didnÔÇÖt like our full riding zuit suits or my long hair. Well sure enough about 45 miles out of town there they were, 1 of them broke down on the side of the road. Having to take a long thought about what happened a little while earlier I turned around and offered my assistance because I am a biker.

This is just my personal opinion right or wrong as it may be. But isnÔÇÖt that the great part that we all can have our own opinion.

:bikes

Reminds me of this one time this summer when I was riding past a guy on a broken down Harley. I naturally stopped and asked if I could help. He replied simply that he did not need help from a guy riding a BMW and that he would just use his cell phone to get himself out of trouble. I wished him good luck and rode on.

This post is fast degenerating...

BradfordBenn said:
I was at the MOA HQ last week and came across three tattoos. I think I am going to start a contest as to identifying who is who from the tats....

Next thing we'll hear is that we will have tickets and a grand prize for whose tattoo is it anyway... Let's keep it serious please and stick to ink lol
:buds

Cheers

Denis R1200GS

Yea you do meet all different kinds of people riding.
Some good and some bad but thatÔÇÖs the experience.

Tatts are the skin equivalents of bumper stickers. They are designed for others rather than for the wearer (unless of course the wearer is a narcissist or fetishist who likes to pose in front of mirrors). Some people like to advertise their personally held beliefs, feelings and proclivities through a visual versus a verbal medium. If I walk by with a Death's Head tattoo on my clearly visible arm or chest it tells you something about me without my having to say anything to you.
Tattoos and "bikers" easily go together if you consider the message implied, such as "I'm a rebel, independent, noncomformist, cool, bad, different and if you don't like it well you can kiss my ass."
I find this stuff amusing since many of these "bad boys" are in reality book keepers whose wives tell them where to sit.
At the end of the day, I think it's about image, not mysticism or spirituality or any other "high-minded" values. Some people just like to show off, be it through their motorcycles or their skin. "Bikers" just offer a double shot of narcissism.

breeze

Tatoo again

Post was dead last year. On another site some of the same discussion about the guy who put the roundel on his arm and if memory serves me right the words Daytona 2006 around it? May or June issue MOA 2006. I was told to take a look over here and see the postings on this long thread? I guess he and I are the only one with the roundel on our bodies?

00weel

I checked...I didn't see anything like that in the April through July 2006 issues.

Kurt in S.A.

never say never, thought I would never have a tat.
not all tats are advertsiing or showing off
I work a job where I can not where a ring
I guess wedding rings are showing off and advertising, hey IM taken
anyway, after 27 years of being married, I got a wedding ring tat on my finger
so
not all tatas are bad, or say, look at me , IM BAD TO THE BONE

I have one. Inside left calf. It's a silhouette of a crow (big surprise) from a photo I took.

I'm kind of ambivalent about it. The guy who inked it was pretty sloppy, and even though it sees almost no sunlight it's gotten blue and fuzzy. I guess that's not so totally bad, though, because it looks older than it is. It's in a good place: not on a particularly naughty bit, but in a private enough place that nobody sees it unless I want them to. And it serves as a good reminder that decisions I make stay with me.

I'd never do a corporate logo. I always imagine a guy with the Enron "E" tattooed on his bicep. Every now and then I consider one of the logos I've designed (like the avatar over there), but I find I get tired of them way too quickly.

Not Exactly a Tattoo

While not exactly a tattoo, I got a muffler burn from my F650 that is going to leave a permanent mark...
Branded_0032.JPG

The write-up is here.

Other mags?

20774 said:
I checked...I didn't see anything like that in the April through July 2006 issues.

Kurt in S.A.

Must have been Motorcyclist or Cycle World then? I thought for sure it was in the MOA? TOO OLD! Cant remember nuttin except where to point the bike! :blah

00weel

Don't have a tat, don't need one. What I wear doesn't define me, what I am does. Makes no difference to me if someone else has one, I'm not their guardian. Same as I don't care what you ride, it's your money.

goferu said:
Crow I like that logo you designed...have you designed a lot?

Thanks. I haven't done a whole lot. I used to be a professional digital artist type, and for a while I got on a kick of designing hockey jersey logos (and, to stay slightly on-topic, I've done a couple of tattoo designs for people). I guess I've done about 7 or 8, but only 3 have made it to the embroidery stage. The crow avatar is the shoulder patch for the team I coach.

ooweel said:
Must have been Motorcyclist or Cycle World then? I thought for sure it was in the MOA? TOO OLD! Cant remember nuttin except where to point the bike! :blah

00weel

Nope, you are correct, I am not sure how people missed it...

It is on page 11 of the July 2006 issue.

OK, since Flash has opened the discussion to burns as permanent marks of motorcycling, here's what I got:
82699024-M.jpg

I've owned two motorcycles and somehow I wound up getting a header-burn from each. I forget which is which anymore, but I think the one nearer my elbow is from my former K100 and the other is from The BatBike. Or is it the other way around???

I have a small spot of ink on my right arm from a high scool dare some 38 years ago. I have considered having it covered up with something a bit more meaningful but I have yet to do it.

I try not to judge others by the ink they wear but I have to admit it is a bit hard to chat at ease with someone in the old check out line when they have a big 81 on thier neck.

The_Veg said:
OK, since Flash has opened the discussion to burns as permanent marks of motorcycling, here's what I got:
82699024-M.jpg

I've owned two motorcycles and somehow I wound up getting a header-burn from each. I forget which is which anymore, but I think the one nearer my elbow is from my former K100 and the other is from The BatBike. Or is it the other way around???

go to a tattoo parlor and get them labeled! :D

tattoo pic in Owner's News

If you're looking for the pic of the Daytona 2006 Roundel tattoo, check out the July issue's letters to the editor (page 11).

The member's name is Jay Neuman and he's from Mount Airy, Maryland.

:lurk

I have a small spot of ink on my right arm from a high scool dare some 38 years ago. I have considered having it covered up with something a bit more meaningful but I have yet to do it.

I have a very tiny dark grey spot on the back of my left hand from being stabbed with a pencil by a first-grade classmate. Since it's pigment permanently embedded in the skin, than I guess you could medically define it as a tattoo.

two tattoos, the first was in 1994, a wedding present to my wife, a heart with our inititals, (this marriage is forever). Second is my Vietnam unit patch on my right arm. a red cross with wings on a blue field with 237 Dustoff on the shield and "Fly the Mission" above. This tattoo is in honor of the 13 members of my dustoff unit that lost their lives trying to save others. Got it three years ago when I started to reconnect with the surviving members of the unit. Neither has a thing to do with motorcycles. My wife got Dr. tattooed on her thigh when she got her Ph.D. I consider myself a motorcycle rider, have ridden a bunch and tattoos don't have a damn thing to do with it. but I do believe that body art is cool. Sociologists will tell you that people who get tattoos are risk takers, as are people who ride motorcycles. Sounds like your wife has a hells angels image problem. :dunno

Back