• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Other Diabetic Riders?

Like many of you, I am a diabetic. I received a list of food vendors for the Rally. It's Deep Fat Central. Does anyone know of healthy alternatives available at the Rally or nearby?

Hampden Park Coop
928 Raymond
651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
622 Selby
651-310-9499

I used to go to Hampden Park for lunch when I worked in the area - Coop food but a wide variety of very healthy and tasty fare.

University Avenue (1 mile south of fairgrounds) has GOBS of ethnic foods available.

Several grocery stores and general purpose restaurants within 1-2 miles of the fairgrounds in either direction.

Hampden Park Coop
928 Raymond
651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
622 Selby
651-310-9499

I used to go to Hampden Park for lunch when I worked in the area - Coop food but a wide variety of very healthy and tasty fare.

University Avenue (1 mile south of fairgrounds) has GOBS of ethnic foods available.

Several grocery stores and general purpose restaurants within 1-2 miles of the fairgrounds in either direction.

Thanks for the suggestions...unfortunately rallies are never the best place to find "health foods".... a lot of the offerings will be standard "fair foods", but the food vendors do have some unique offerings like Elk Burger, Hickory Smoked BBQ Pork, Northwoods Fries, Walleye Cakes, Smoked Salmon on a stick, Walleye Fries, Salad on a stick, as well as some Irish offerings from O'Gara's..breakfast will be offered, and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :eat:eat:

In a fairgrounds setting, it's difficult to address everyone's dietary restrictions, but there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores within 3 miles of the grounds. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods within 5 miles. Nelson Cheese & deli (walking distance) has sandwiches, but also excellent salads (take-out only).

Stop at the Visit St Paul/Visit Roseville table in the MOA building for lists of local resources. Also the Hospitality team will be able to help folks, and insure you have an enjoyable trip to St. Paul.

I have a diabetic buddy who rides everywhere (think remote boonies), he carries what he needs for sugar and insulin and does his needle testing from the seat of his bike every morning. PITA to wait for him sometimes. but what the hey...I love him. :ha

...and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :eat:eat:

So long as the Thanksgiving in a bowl does NOT involve lye soaked cod :nono:sick, we're going to be OK.

Thanks, Karol

Thanks for the suggestions...unfortunately rallies are never the best place to find "health foods".... a lot of the offerings will be standard "fair foods", but the food vendors do have some unique offerings like Elk Burger, Hickory Smoked BBQ Pork, Northwoods Fries, Walleye Cakes, Smoked Salmon on a stick, Walleye Fries, Salad on a stick, as well as some Irish offerings from O'Gara's..breakfast will be offered, and Salem Lutheran Church will have Thanksgiving in a bowl, as well as a "meatball sundae" (sounds interesting)....there will also be the traditional hamburger, cheesburgers, brats, and fries. :eat:eat:

In a fairgrounds setting, it's difficult to address everyone's dietary restrictions, but there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores within 3 miles of the grounds. There is a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods within 5 miles. Nelson Cheese & deli (walking distance) has sandwiches, but also excellent salads (take-out only).

Stop at the Visit St Paul/Visit Roseville table in the MOA building for lists of local resources. Also the Hospitality team will be able to help folks, and insure you have an enjoyable trip to St. Paul.

Thanks, Karol, for a more complete answer than you gave my original e-mail. We can eat stuff like pork, but the problem is the barbecue sauce, which is loaded with sugar. Salad on a stick would probably work, as long as it isn't doused in dressing. Hamburger buns have way too many carbs. I appreciated the other answers to my query, before we had the inevitable fall off into irrelevance.

Thanks, Arthur

Hampden Park Coop
928 Raymond
651-646-6686

Mississippi Market
622 Selby
651-310-9499

Thanks, Arthur, for your helpful reply. I tried to get this info out of Karol in a personal e-mail, but s/he pretty well blew me off. I'm glad to see the forum has some clout. I will keep your suggestions and use them. Look me up at the Rally--black/silver 09 K1200LT, Iowa license 8519LZ. I'm staying at my son's downtown.

Last edited:
Where are those melon ladies that had the fruit and veg market at Johnson City....when we need them?

They where covered up each day with buyers and not bad to look at either.

Location, location, location and marketing....

Insulin storage

Hello, diabetics
F.Y.I. -
There will be a refrigerator in First Aid where you can store your insulin.
You will be able to access it at any time.
See you in St Paul,
Steve Makela, First Aid Chair

Back