• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Sensor Strip Warranty

Lee200

Took my '09 RT to my local dealership today for the fuel pump recall. Seems I have a cracked fuel pump which will be replaced with a new one.

On another note, my mechanic said that they had just gotten notice from BMW that RT fuel sensor strips will now be warranted for 12 (twelve) years from the original purchase date of the bike. So my '09 RT, bought in early '10, will be warranted until 2022. Sounds hard to believe that BMW would step up and do so for such a long time, but maybe this wethead RT ride ban is causing BMW to rethink their customer relation policies.

Cannot confirm or deny this info, but just passing it along FYI.

my mechanic said that they had just gotten notice from BMW that RT fuel sensor strips will now be warranted for 12 (twelve) years from the original purchase date of the bike. .

Surely he meant all bikes with a fuel strip and not just RTs.

I had to replace my 05 RT fuel strip out of pocket $$$. Glad to hear they are finally stepping up and taking care of customers.

I'd also guess this might mean BMW thinks they've solved the fuel strip problem - so your next replacement will be the last (and I bet the vendor who made the strips is eating the cost..)

Just curious - when my last one was replaced around May of last year - the service manager said BMW had recalled all the strips dealers had in stock and replaced them with new ones - with the same PN in April. In later discussions with the guys in the shop, they mentioned that they hadn't had to replace any strips on bikes where they replaced them after this happened... that the strips seem to be lasting.

Anyone who had a strip replaced since April 2013 had it fail?

And for the people reporting failures in this tread - please do check the fuel strip poll thread on how to report failures to NHTSA, and do it. That might just have had some effect on BMW's decision - especially if NHTSA started asking BMW about failures.

IMHO this will be a voluntary recall, as I doubt there will ever be agreement that this is a safety issue. Repeating of course, the only things that legally can prompt a gov't recall are safety and emissions.

I'd also guess this might mean BMW thinks they've solved the fuel strip problem - so your next replacement will be the last (and I bet the vendor who made the strips is eating the cost..)

Just curious - when my last one was replaced around May of last year - the service manager said BMW had recalled all the strips dealers had in stock and replaced them with new ones - with the same PN in April. In later discussions with the guys in the shop, they mentioned that they hadn't had to replace any strips on bikes where they replaced them after this happened... that the strips seem to be lasting.

Anyone who had a strip replaced since April 2013 had it fail?

And for the people reporting failures in this tread - please do check the fuel strip poll thread on how to report failures to NHTSA, and do it. That might just have had some effect on BMW's decision - especially if NHTSA started asking BMW about failures.
Don - I had my original strip replaced in July 2013 (53K miles), it lasted less than one tank. Probably old stock. The one that replaced that (#3) is doing fine 6K miles later.

JayJay

If you have been watching this forum for the past 6-7 years the fuel strip has been a regular topic for discussion.
RT and GS owners have run out of fuel with over 100 miles to empty on the display and have had the units replaced. A bit later these same folks talk about how the new strip does not work properly or is inconsistent.
I had my bike towed in because it just quit. The gauge showed a half a tank and well over 100 miles to empty.
The dealer said it was the fuel strip. We replaced it under warranty but I never, ever look at the fuel gauge.
The most popular fuel gauge is the trip minder. When you get to about 200 miles you start looking for a gas station.
I am going to check with the dealer if my bike is covered under the warranty. I still will not use the gauge though.
If there is a new and improved pump or mount I am in line.

Running out of fuel with 110 miles to empty on a causeway or a levee road with no where to bail out would be a safety issue in my book.
I do understand however that a luxury item like a fuel gauge may not be considered a safety issue.
When I ran out of fuel I was on an uphill grade and there was a curb and a drop off on my side. Cars were passing me at 60 plus miles an hour. I was scared shi_ less.
The dealer contacted me and advised I do have the fuel pump recall per my VIN. I have scheduled an appointment in mid July. It seems they are busy. He did ask if I smelled fuel. I had a hunch if I had a fuel leak he would have moved me up on the schedule.
Will the fuel strip be replaced as part of the pump recall?????

Will the fuel strip be replaced as part of the pump recall?????
Nope, different issue. However, as long as you got the hood up ... You should be able to negotiate the labor hours for the fuel strip replacement downwards since they have to remove the plastic to do the recall work already (I believe my dealer charged me one hour to do the fuel strip replacement, so you should be able to get at least a half hour knocked off that). If they have to replace the pump on the recall then there should be no labor charge at all for replacing the fuel strip, it has to be removed and replaced as part of the fuel pump replacement.

JayJay

I'm on my third replacement in the last two weeks. The warning light comes on when I have around 1.6 to 1.7 gallons left. Replacement #1 did it, as did #2, as does #3.
If it is otherwise working - ie - indicating a full tank when the tank is full - the problem isn't the strips, it's whoever is replacing it isn't calibrating the system correctly. That has to be done with a dry strip - the protocol now calls for it to be connected and calibrated before installing it into the tank.

IMHO this will be a voluntary recall, as I doubt there will ever be agreement that this is a safety issue. Repeating of course, the only things that legally can prompt a gov't recall are safety and emissions.

In this case by offering an extended warranty on the part - it appears BMW is trying to forestall a safety recall by NHTSA. As has been pointed out many times (I'd suggest reading the fuel-strip poll.. lots of info in it) on other vehicles, including BMW cars - NHTSA has mandated a recall calling it a safety hazard to run out of fuel unexpectedly.

Don - I had my original strip replaced in July 2013 (53K miles), it lasted less than one tank. Probably old stock. The one that replaced that (#3) is doing fine 6K miles later.

JayJay
JayJay,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it was old-stock. The dealer may have been neglectful in returning stock to BMW..

Well I just had to replace the strip on my 2005 R1200ST on my own dime. Never heard from the dealer that there may be help from BMW. But the way I figure it. They are now on the hook for the next two years. And if BMW Canada does bring in the new warranty, at least I should be able to put this issue to bed.

The fourth fuel strip on my 2010 GSA was installed in November of 2012 and replaced today. Hoping this is the last one.

Back