• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Sensor Strip Warranty

Hopefully you ARE reporting these failures to NHTSA? There are links in the fuel-strip survey thread sticky on how to easily do this.. and what parameters to use when you report it.

FWIW - people often complain that the MOA should be more pro-active toward BMW-Motorrad on behalf of the club members. That's not an easy thing to do if people don't take some responsibility and effort themselves. In this case - reporting failures to NHTSA so they get an idea of the failure rate is something YOU can do that may result in an outcome you'll be happy with. It's good you can post failures here, but the NHTSA isn't reading this forum so it is basically just venting. After you vent here - visit the NHTSA website and report the failure, that may well help all of us (and I believe it already has with BMW's extending the warranty to 12 years from in-service date for the fuel strips.)

If it is otherwise working - ie - indicating a full tank when the tank is full - the problem isn't the strips, it's whoever is replacing it isn't calibrating the system correctly. That has to be done with a dry strip - the protocol now calls for it to be connected and calibrated before installing it into the tank.

I specifically asked that last time, Don, because it seemed to me if the past three strips are consistently incorrect, another strip wasn't going to help. I believe they told me there is no calibration possible, but they checked the resistance on the new one (dry) before installing.

I specifically asked that last time, Don, because it seemed to me if the past three strips are consistently incorrect, another strip wasn't going to help. I believe they told me there is no calibration possible, but they checked the resistance on the new one (dry) before installing.
There IS a calibration available - and it's supposed to be done when installing the new strip. FWIW - the GS-911 beta software enables the calibration function also..

I'd be looking for a competent dealership at this point. They've unnecessarily changed strips that were likely perfectly good.

Warranty

Just made an appointment at my dealer for fuel pump flange and the service writer said the fuel strip would also be covered under warranty and she believed it is a 12 year warranty. Have had the problem for a while but was living with it 08 GSA with 33000 miles.

There IS a calibration available - and it's supposed to be done when installing the new strip. FWIW - the GS-911 beta software enables the calibration function also..

I'd be looking for a competent dealership at this point. They've unnecessarily changed strips that were likely perfectly good.

I've put in new strips befor the GS911 support and did not calibrate. I selected strips that had a sensor resistance reading of 2500 ohms +\- 50 ohms and these were "accurate". 2500 ohms is the nominal value in a fairly wide range...maybe 5K or more. But calibrating is probably still best and Viki's GS was calibrated and is fairly accurate. BTW, it's fuel flange was not cracked, and the metal cap was added.

Well, my new strip, that was just reading inaccurately, failed completely this morning. It lasted around 250 miles.

If anybody is in the market for a 2009 GS, it's listed in the flea market. Namibia orange 2009, Peoria Illinois. Seriously, it's been an outstanding bike, except for the fuel strip. But I'm moving on.

I'm on my third replacement in the last two weeks. The warning light comes on when I have around 1.6 to 1.7 gallons left. Replacement #1 did it, as did #2, as does #3.

Is that a problem? I think all of mine did when they were working...that leaves about 45 miles to go and a bit to keep the pump cool.

Is that a problem? I think all of mine did when they were working...that leaves about 45 miles to go and a bit to keep the pump cool.

Well, today it doesn't seem so bad, Jack. Now that its failed completely. :) I don't expect it to be perfectly accurate. The original was - for 36 months. The light would come on with about a gallon left, maybe a bit less, and the one time I kept going to push the limit on the range countdown, I think one or two miles after it hit zero, I was out. That was a couple years ago, so I don't think that one time hurt either the pump or the original strip. I was only a few hundred yards from a station, so I tipped the bike left, started it back up, and rode on to the station. Basically, the way it has been acting, until this morning, you're just looking at that yellow triangle for 30 to 40 miles, before you should be. Not the end of the world. I guess each of us would draw the line at different points. I was unhappy the warning light came on with 1.7 gallons left. A question for you - no disrepect to a guy who's been around since the Underwood days - would you be upset if yours came on with 2 gallons left? 3 gallons? Heck, some guys don't seem upset their gauge doesn't work at all. If the bike had a reserve like my airhead, and that triangle wasn't glaring at me - that would be OK.

I thought I might take the bike to Urbana this time - 90 miles instead of 180 to St. Louis. But I called them, and they don't wrench on Saturdays. I called St. Louis, and I think they had a good suggestion, knowing the bike is for sale. If I were local - sure, swing by on a Saturday morning, eat a couple donuts, etc. But since it's an all day deal to go down and back, they suggested if I get any potential buyers, tell them the fuel strip needs replaced, they (the dealer) will verify it's under warranty, and if that's a deal breaker, then I can use a day off to run and get it replaced.

You know...you'd look good on Namibia Orange, Jack.

Hi Howard,
Our K12S bikes have always taken about 3.7 or so gallons if we fill up just after the light goes on. Since they were the same (roughly) then I figured that was how it was. If we rode the gas down from 45 miles range to around 20 or 15, then we could get 4 gallons in them.
When Viki's '08 was new until just last week, it would start out at a range of about 290 miles and was always about 80 to 100 miles more range indicated than how the K12Ses were. I figured she would probably run out if she tried to ride it down to how we rode the K12S. Then last winter the fuel strip opened up. So it was timed well with the new warranty of 12 years. The new strip Sportland put in it behaves like the K12Ses now too.

A couple years ago we were on US 136 out of Colorado headed into Kansas on the K12Ses. I figured we could go another 40 miles from the gas station at the state line and then fill up in what looked like a small town to fill up. Only there was no gas station at 40 miles. So we turned south and went another 25 miles down to I 70. My range indicator went from 45 miles at the state line to almost zero at the 40 mile point where the was no gas. As we headed south the range went to zero and stayed there all the way to I 70. When we filled up the tanks took about 4.8 gallons. That is just about all it holds except for a little puddle around the gas pump.
The most I ever got in the K12Ses was 4.9 gallons each last week when they put the new pumps in on the pump flange recall. Aaron at Sportland told me we should go out the drive way and into the gas station across the street. There was just a tiny puddle of gas around the pump intake, at the water separator sock, he said. It was interesting to see how much gas they actually held.
When we ride on a trip and not sure where there is a gas station, I fill up if the tank is down to half or less when we happen to be near a gas station. We rode that way when we ride 2 lanes out west like to Oregon last summer on the GSes and stopped every 100 miles or so.
I am looking good on an R12GS Rallye, Viki insisted I get it and bought it for me. :)
It's fuel gauge behaves about the same as the K12Ses always did. So I guess I'm happy with the 1.X gallons left when the light goes on. Seems to hold about the same amount of gas as the S. And the bike carries a ton of whatever you want to carry...after 39 years on an S or RS.

I had several strips replaced under warranty and am glad to hear BMW extended the warranty period.

A couple of years ago I stopped by Southsound BMW in Fife to get a new rear tire during a trip. I mentioned to the service writer that my fuel strip was again acting up. He said that many folks had better results if they ran the BMW fuel conditioner every six months or so. I thought it might be snake oil, but it wasn't expensive so I decided to give it a try and bought a bottle. After getting home I added the suggested amount during a fuel fill up and ran the bike a bit. I didn't notice any difference right away, but the next time I rode the bike the fuel strip was working properly. Ever since then I have run some through the bike every six months or so and the fuel strip is still working reasonably accurately. It is by far the longest I have gone without having one fail. YMMV but it seems to have helped mine.

Is that the Techron fuel treatment you're speaking of? The one that, if it has the BMW label, costs 2-3 X as much?

My R1200R runs almost exclusively on Chevron with Techron, and the fuel strip still failed. So I don't that helps the fuel strip.

The plus side, it Chevron has excellent stability. It takes me a 2 months to use a tank of fuel in my K75 and pick-up truck, but I never have "bad gas" problems or fuel system clogging in either.

My R1200R runs almost exclusively on Chevron with Techron, and the fuel strip still failed. So I don't that helps the fuel strip.

The plus side, it Chevron has excellent stability. It takes me a 2 months to use a tank of fuel in my K75 and pick-up truck, but I never have "bad gas" problems or fuel system clogging in either.

I had 4 failed fuel strips on my 07. When I was at the dealer that recommended the fuel additive the fuel strip wasn't working. After adding it, running the bike and setting for a bit the fuel strip started working again. The only conclusion I could reasonably draw was the fuel treatment had an effect.

Just because there is Techron in the blend maybe its not the ingredient that actually helps the fuel strip?

I put Techron in my bike every few tank fulls during the first three years I had the bike. I thought maybe that, and the fact I ran almost exclusively Shell gas, had helped me avoid fuel strip failure. Maybe it did, I don't know. My original lasted until after the warranty had expired. (BMW picked up the cost of replacement as a good will gesture.) The dealer told me last week they have replacement strips out there with over 5 years on them, and others that have failed before they got out of the parking lot. I'd like to see the government force BMW to do a recall and retrofit a float. I suspect with the 12 year warranty BMW is trying to avoid that. I've got mine for sale, but won't be particularly upset if it doesn't sell and I end up keeping it, in which case I'd like to have a more lasting fix than continued trips to the dealer for replacements.

My original strip lasted around 52K miles. First replacement the shop put the BMW fuel additive in and suggested running it each tank. Well, at 1 oz/gallon that was adding around $0.75 to each gallon, and in any event it didn't help the first replacement strip (which failed within one tank of fuel). After the second replacement (third strip) I've been adding 5 oz of conditioner each 3000 miles. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but the third strip has held since last summer.

JayJay

Back