Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Fuel Sensor Strip Warranty

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I think the outcome of coverage is that the strip has to be determined faulty by an authorized BMW dealer. That's the only way BMW can be sure they are paying for a truly failed strip.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I am on my 5th original type fuel strip. It had been working somewhat intermittently. I have been thinking about getting it replaced under the extended warranty with the new style unit. I was just on a trip and visited a dealer to have new tires put on, and I needed the tire pressure sending units replaced as well, and it had to be hooked up to the computer for that. On the rest of my trip the fuel gauge worked perfectly. I don't know if there was some type of new flash or something that may have helped, or if it's just a coincidence. I will probably call the dealer next week and see if something was done that may have helped.

If it starts behaving wonky again I will definitely get it replaced, even though I consider it just a convenience. I tend to reset trip meter 1 to zero after filling up and mostly go by mileage anyway.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    They can do a recalibration with the service computer which might remake a connection within the strip. But that technically requires a dried out of tank strip. I would think they would not have done that unless they replaced the strip.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")