• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hard to Find Tires for '13 R12GS W

HaroldGSW

Okay, so can anyone help me out with this problem I'm having getting new rubber on my bike. I'd like to get a set of Heidenau, but they haven't made a set yet for my GS (not in production yet). It was pointed out to me, that the slightly smaller tire size can be used (110/80 19; 150/70 17, instead of the stock 120/70 19; 170/60 17). There maybe a couple of options for me with the smaller size, but almost everything appears to be back-ordered until July. I'm making a trip to Canada at the end of this month, and would really prefer to change out my tires before heading out. Please, any suggestions, and or could the smaller size work on my GS? Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the heads up Lee. I've been looking at Revzilla, as one of several suppliers. I must have missed this availability. The other issue has to do with a wider variety of tires available with a slightly different width in the tires (oem: 120 and 170, front and rear vis a vi 110 and 150, front and rear). Wanted to find out whether or not anyone has opted for the slightly different size in order to have greater availability of tire selection. Thanks Lee!

I just ordered a set of Conti TA2's from Southwest Moto. They had the correct sizes in stock and on sale for $255 for the set.

I just ordered a set of Conti TA2's from Southwest Moto. They had the correct sizes in stock and on sale for $255 for the set.

That is a very good price for the Conti TA2's
I have had good luck with tire life and how well they turn in, and do ok off pavement.
No mud!

When I shopped around recently, I found Jake Wilson to offer the best deal on price including shipping. That may change from day to day, so you'll want to confirm that instead of going on what I found a few weeks ago.

http://www.jakewilson.com/

FWIW, I've ordered a number of things from them over the years, and have always gotten good service.

When I shopped around recently, I found Jake Wilson to offer the best deal on price including shipping....

Yeah Jake Wilson is usually pretty competitive but they weren't this time. For the same set of Conti TA2's shipped, 120/70 R19 and 170/60 R17.

Jake Wilson: $330.98 ($134.99 & $195.99)
SW Moto: $255.30 ($104.29 & $151.01)

:lol
That is a very good price for the Conti TA2's
I have had good luck with tire life and how well they turn in, and do ok off pavement.
No mud!

My 09 came with those....no mud was quickly discovered as a big limitation! :laugh

The smaller sizes were the former models standard. The bike's handling has been tweaked with that new size...would fit, but I wouldn't alter spec.

I tried a set of pilot road 3's last summer since they had the gsa sizes available and we were not doing any serious off roading that trip. I could keep up with Helen in the twisties in the rain really well. I did catch some grief from my dirty buddies with TKC's.

Back