• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

middle gear engine surge

CARLWISE

I've got a new '03 Rt and it seems like it surges (a little) and doesn't want to cruise in the middle gears going through town doing about 30- 40 mph. Any suggestions- I use premium fuel and was wondering if Techron (gas additive) would help?
Tx for the feed back.
Wiseguy in Charlottesville, Va

surge???

have you been to bmwsporttouring.com? you need to go over there and do a search on the word "surge" or "surging".

There are plenty of options available that you can try to eliminate or reduce your surging.

Before trying any of the more expensive solutions (Techlusion, dual-plugs, chips, etc.) ensure your bike does not have a mechanically induced surge.

Take it to your dealer and have the throttle bodies synchronized. Throttle bodies can easily go out of synch over time. Cables stretch. A good indicator is an increase in engine vibration are different speeds. I own a TwinMax that I use to synchronize my throttle bodies.

http://www.adventuremotogear.com/twinmax.htm

Also try changing spark plugs. Paul Glaves likes the autolite plugs. I use Bosch 4418 and 4417. They are available at most autoparts stores. Some owners report totally eliminating a mild surging with plugs along.

If your dealers is unable to fix the problem, you may want to consider aftermarket solutions like Techlusion. My RT surged so badly, it was unsafe to ride before I had my dealer install a Techlusion 83i about two years ago. Since then, I have tested all their products and they all totally eliminated my surging. If you are concerned about warranty issues, check with your dealers. Several dozen dealers are now installing Techlusion products on their customers bikes and I don't know of a single failure that has caused damage to their Bosch electronics. Here is my website providing information on the new R259 TFI.

http://www.kansas.net/~krummk/index.html.first

If your interested in dual-plugs, visit SJBMWs website.

I know others that have had positive results with BB Powerchips.

The bottom line is, do whatever it takes to put the fun back into your ride. If the bike is no longer fun to ride, do whatever it takes to fix it.

Back