• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

IPOD over heat.

story

I fought it last year and now this summer on our first warm day my IPod overheats and shuts down.
Anything over 100* and I start having problems. Today was 108* and it shut down about a half hour into the ride.
Evidently it doesn't get hot in Germany. Why else would you put an IPod or IPhone plug right next to the engine. I would love to relocate it but where?

The LCD screens are pretty sensitive to heat. My iPod shuts down on a sunny day sitting on the dash of the motorhome, even when the A/C is running. Also shuts down if it's in the window of the tank bag on a sunny day.

This is why I use one of the original iPod Nanos in my RH pocket on the adapter. There's no heat sensitivity in that device - at least that's manifested itself for me.

I've been riding my K1600GT for 2+ years now with a system that works as well as it can given how it's designed but I think I'm ready to chuck the audio system and move on. I've got the Nav IV a Sena SMH10 on my hat, and the iPod on the USB adapter. I sync my iPhone to the Nav IV so I can get/make calls through the GPS; I get audio from the GPS synced to my Sena hat; and I get audio from the bike's stereo system. What I can't have in this system, is access to Siri or the music on my iPhone or audio from my radar detector without a custom hack job to integrate it with the Nav. It all works reliably but is complicated and limited - but I do get Sirius sat radio and Nav audio.

I've also got a second bike, an S1000RR, that obviously has none of this built in BT audio foolishness on it. So when I'm riding that, I just have my iPhone and Sena paired. I get all my music from my iPhone; phone calls are simple to take and with Siri, much simpler to make. Even the music is easier to deal with because I just ask Siri for play whatever playlist I want instead of taking my eyes off the road to fuss with the multi-controller wheel. I can integrate my SR10 BT for the radar detector audio and if I wanted, could have bike 2 bike GMRS radio. All of that is possible with no audio system on the bike.

As I said, after a couple of years of reliable use, I'm wondering if the audio system on the K1600 was really more trouble than it was worth - to me. I understand others my place a higher value on the BT audio from the radio.

Don't forget that you can also use a USB drive to deliver music to your K1600. I have a 32GB drive about the size of a pinky fingernail and it works well. I simply plug that into the lower right-hand USB port (in the compartment) and away I go.

Sgreen,

I am interested in the USB thing. How did you put the music on it, in what format, and did you use a PC or a Mac?

Thanks!

As I said, after a couple of years of reliable use, I'm wondering if the audio system on the K1600 was really more trouble than it was worth - to me. I understand others my place a higher value on the BT audio from the radio.

I also just use my sena connected to the iphone. Easier to manage calls and music. Can still use the wonder wheel to skip songs when the phone is plugged in to the usb.

I only use the speakers when using the bike audio.

Sgreen,

I am interested in the USB thing. How did you put the music on it, in what format, and did you use a PC or a Mac?

Thanks!

Personally I used a Mac. I used a software program called Daughtry's Playlist Exporter to extract specific playlists from my iTunes library that I wanted on the bike. The bike has an upper limit of 256mbps when it comes to audio files and they cannot be protected content. There are several threads on this at the K1600 forum (k1600forum.com) where you can get specific instructions and drive recommendations.

Back