• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1990 K75RT Side Cover Removal

98 Lee you've got what I've got.

I girded my loins and betook me of the garage. I fondled around under the tank corner of the side cover and found what felt like a grommet. So then I pulled out toward me as close to the grommet as I could. Lo and behold it worked. And there was great rejoicing. Success had crowned my efforts. It was quite tight but eventually was persuaded that any further resistance was futile. Thanks to all of you for your input on this and saving me the expense and indignity of breaking the panel.

To recap: The manual says 1. Pull the side cover away from the frame at the bottom of the cover. 2. Push down at the front of the cover where it meets the tank. 3. Then pull it to the front and and remove it. This seems wrong to me.

Having looked it over: 1. One should start at the position under the tank and NOT PUL IT DOWN- but out. 2. Then slide it forward to remove the rear pin. The bottom hook would just go for a ride. If one followed the manual and pulled it down at the front under the tank it would certainly result in the front pin breaking.
Thanks again.

BB

Any danger of the grease causing a breakdown of the rubber?
BB

I've been greasing my battery side cover grommets and rubber cylinder barrels for several years now without the rubber breaking down. :dance

Even if it should eventually affect these rubber bits, they are much less expensive to replace than the battery covers. :thumb

If in doubt, use the silicone spray you use on your windows.

Being from Manitoba, you must be using liberal amounts of silicone spray on the side windows of your boxes to keep them from freezing to the weatherstripping. It won't hurt the rubber.

Not to hi-jack.......

Yes.
I put on silicone spray just before I put the frost shields on the windshield : )
BB

If you are old enough to remember those, you're old enough to remember Canucks telling visitors from the US that we had electric cars first, just needed really long extension cords.

What's a frost shield? asks the smartass who is sweltering in 103 degrees, is on mandatory 25% water rationing and has only seen 9" of rain since last April '13. :hungover

:dance:dance:dance

I have total sentiment with your question.

What's a frost shield? asks the smartass who is sweltering in 103 degrees, is on mandatory 25% water rationing and has only seen 9" of rain since last April '13. :hungover

Frost Shields and the plug that hangs out in front of our vehicles is a closely guarded national secret. It's our only hope that when yooze invade us, that we will beat you over the winter.....................I took an oath you see.

We also turn our air conditioners on when it hits 55F because we are sweating like crazy. At 103, to hell with the lawn and having a shower, just keep the power on for the beer fridge.

For some perspective, I'm in a mine way above the Arctic Circle looking at beautiful scenery. It's virtually unimaginable as spring comes here, but I'm still wearing my longjohns. It's gorgeous and pristine but, there is a critter here that looks at you and goes, "tasty, eh?". They run faster and the door on a pick-up truck is like opening a can of sardines for them.

We do live in a wonderful world.

98Lee
After the winter we've had and the non existent spring, I begin to swelter at about 60 F. After that the mosquitos keep me indoors until freeze up. If I get on the highway on my bike I can usually weave between them and miss most of them.

Well this thread has degraded rapidly, hasn't it.

Beemerboy

98Lee
Well this thread has degraded rapidly, hasn't it.

Beemerboy

Not really.

You got the answer you were looking for.

The rest of us gained a little more info about the various side covers.

And we learned that no matter where we live, there is always something we can bitch about.:D

Back