• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LH Switch Cluster

caddss

Looks like my LH switch just died. No horn, windshield wont lower and right turn wont work. Bike only has 1500 miles. Start button on the other side is acting up too.

My problem is a live 100 miles from the closest dealer and dont want to drive that far with no horn. Anyone taken the LH cluster off? What size are the two screws and how do you take it off.

My hope is the dealer will send me one. :banghead

Dealer needs to install in order to collect reimbursement for warranty.

If your bike is this new and still under warranty, dealer will send truck to pick up your bike. BMW roadside assistance.

Looks like my LH switch just died. No horn, windshield wont lower and right turn wont work. Bike only has 1500 miles. Start button on the other side is acting up too.

My problem is a live 100 miles from the closest dealer and dont want to drive that far with no horn. Anyone taken the LH cluster off? What size are the two screws and how do you take it off.

My hope is the dealer will send me one. :banghead
It might be a tad helpful if we knew what year/model you have.. there are different switch designs on different years. Given you have problems with components controlled by both switches I rather doubt that the root cause is bad switches. The new ones do go bad - but haven't heard of simultaneous failures of both.

:banghead

Do you ride alot in the rain/park outside uncovered? 1500 miles is not much on a 2012 rt.

You're correct it's a safety issue to have no horn. ... or turn signals nor ability to flash headlight. Given the 2014 shock issue, dealers should be pretty safety conscious and shouldn't refuse you. Those bikes will be transported by roadside assistance and there's no reason yours shouldn't be too.

Do you ride alot in the rain/park outside uncovered? 1500 miles is not much on a 2012 rt.

My left cluster also just took a partial dump. Started after spending a night in a north florida rain on the way to the RA at Birmingham. Cover was on, but is not waterproof (out of sight out of mind cover from Aerostitch). Started with intermittent turn signal turn off failure (though using emergency flasher and off would stop turn flasher, or let them time out). When I got home tried wd40 to expel any water, but no help.

Dealer says switchgear is toast and cost to replace around $360. :jawdrop With 4 years and 18000 miles on the clock this is on my dime. Stupid new style turn signals :banghead

Now it works????

No water involved - rain or wash. Bike is garaged. As for the low miles the guy who had it before me had some medical issues and didnt get to ride much. 1000 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago.

So today i go to the garage and try the switch and everything works. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem yesterday was that when I was riding yesterday I stopped for a while and the bike was sitting in the sun. It was about 85+ here yesterday. Wonder if the sun light coming through the windshields like a magnifying glass could cause the problem.

Now I'm concerned about taking a trip. Would hate to get stuck somewhere.

No water involved - rain or wash. Bike is garaged. As for the low miles the guy who had it before me had some medical issues and didnt get to ride much. 1000 miles when I bought it a few weeks ago.

So today i go to the garage and try the switch and everything works. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem yesterday was that when I was riding yesterday I stopped for a while and the bike was sitting in the sun. It was about 85+ here yesterday. Wonder if the sun light coming through the windshields like a magnifying glass could cause the problem.

It's under warranty, have it replaced.
Don't take NO for an answer.

There was some discussion either here or on another forum about being able to temporarily resurrect a hot switch by placing an ice-pack on it, but Alfred is right: get it replaced with the redesigned unit and be able to forget about it.

JayJay

i'd be tempted to carry a small can of freeze spray with me like I use at the shop...

does anyone happen to know if the '13RT has the old switches or the new part # "upgraded" switches?

Last edited:
Back