• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

I stopped by the dealer today and they had received the letter informing them the parts would be available on the 18th. The email he got wasn't the same as the posted email and he didn't have a clue what it implied. Available to order or in their hands??? The did receive an email telling them who the owners were in the area that had chosen option 1 (all two of us).

If you've called the 1-800-525-7417 number lately you'll hear a rather long list of Bimmers that are on a recall. Given the ratio of cars sold to motorcycles I suspect we're now relegated to second class citizens. Maybe we've always been second class to NA CS?

Impatient? Naw.. I just WANT TO RIDE MY MOTORCYCLE!

Soon to be forgotten, me hopes

I look forward to the day coming soon that this will be behind us and I will neither be reading nor writing in this forum because I will be RIDING. Hopefully this tread will fade into the past and forgotten. I took the RT out the other day and it reminded me of why I continue to wait for the repair; it is simply the best ride that I have ever experienced in over 45 years on 2 wheels (and that includes the awesome K1600).

Fingers Crossed

I going to be pro-active. I just scheduled an appointment at my dealer for the 19th to take the bike in to get the rear shock replaced. They are also installing some OEM driving lights so I should be safe if the shock is a little delayed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

According to the letter and my dealer the shocks will be replaced by VIN # starting with the first bike sold at that dealer. Might want to check about that before making an appointment.

According to the letter and my dealer the shocks will be replaced by VIN # starting with the first bike sold at that dealer. Might want to check about that before making an appointment.
Wonderful... since I got my bike 2 weeks before the recall I suspect I'll have a bike to ride around the end of September!

Depends on how many bikes your dealer sold. Mine sold 10. I was the first. Some dealers sold only one or two so the wait shouldn't be too long. That is the plan but you never know what will transpire until it happens. I am hoping my is the first fixed. I was told it would be as long as the shock that comes in is tied to my VIN #.

So if the first guy can't make it in right away, everyone has to wait??? VIN or delivery date or order date or first to have theirs back to the dealer after recall date or person who complained the most or complained the least or....???? I think whoever has their bike there will get fixed in short order when parts arrive. Waiting in line by VIN would be okay in a perfect world, but 4 to 10 units a shop should go rather quickly regardless of VIN.

Just saying don't get you hopes dashed thinking making an appointment will get you to the front of the line because quite possible everyone is thinking the same thing. I would be in verbal communication with dealer on timing for your particular bike. You can bet I will be in his ear every day as the time somes nears for the repair parts to arrive.

So if the first guy can't make it in right away, everyone has to wait??? VIN or delivery date or order date or first to have theirs back to the dealer after recall date or person who complained the most or complained the least or....???? I think whoever has their bike there will get fixed in short order when parts arrive. Waiting in line by VIN would be okay in a perfect world, but 4 to 10 units a shop should go rather quickly regardless of VIN.

My dealer says a tech can do one bike in an hour. If two techs are assigned, then accounting for breaks and lunch, 12 bikes can be ready in one day. What is still unknown is how many units will be delivered to each dealer on the first delivery date. If every dealer gets as many units as he has 14 RT's waiting, then they all are done the first day.

In a perfect world. Will they dedicate the whole staff to this endeavor or work it in between existing service work?

My dealer (Vancouver BMW Ducati) said that overtime has been authorized if needed for the techs. Hardly fair to delay someone else's service that they've had scheduled for a couple of weeks.

My dealer (Vancouver BMW Ducati) said that overtime has been authorized if needed for the techs. Hardly fair to delay someone else's service that they've had scheduled for a couple of weeks.
Over a guy that's been waiting over two months for service???

Buy Back

Ok, NOW I'll admit to the communication issues. It seems the email robot doesn't talk to the above Customer Service number. I just got off the phone looking for information and confirmation of the above email (not saying it's not true, just wondering why I haven't received one). The friendly lady on the phone didn't know anything. She tried to get the Rep assigned to me on the phone but he wasn't in yet. I didn't ask for a call back due to my schedule today.

Us West Coast guys have another week, typically, added to anything coming from Europe as it gets trucked across the states. The wife and I have a mini vacation scheduled on the 24th which would be about the time I could get my bike fixed...hopefully. We all know you don't cancel vacations with SWMBO for your motorcycle! :nono

The saga continues...

Has anyone out there received funds from BMW for the buy back plan?
I have a friend that has been waiting from the buy back announcement and cannot get an answer from BMW or the Dealer BMW Denver. His bike is at the dealer and they can only tell him that they are waiting on BMW.
It sounds like a waiting game on BMW's part to delay it until they can fix it????

I was allowed to read the email that my dealer received on the 1st but he didn't read until Monday the 4th.
There was an attached spreadsheet with all the US bikes affected by the stop ride, sorted by dealer. There was a link for them to verify or update the information by the 6th.
Then it stated "New shock absorbers are expected to start arriving the week of August 18, 2014." Another line read something like BMW Motorad will use this information to prioritize delivery to those that chose to keep their motorcycles.

PERIOD. Nothing about allocation. Nothing about VINs except to confirm information (I did not see the spreadsheet).

Lots of rumors :) not supported by what I read.

Back