• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

Decided to upgrde...

Even though I love the new RT, while I was at the dealership for other business, I decided to test ride the K1600GTL. I have a shorter inseam (29") and this bike really fits me well. Also the riding position is a little easier on these old knees. I bought the RT because everyone told me the GTL's were cumbersome, heavey and had no "soul", I find none of that to be true for me. That plus the fact I liked the bike at $5k less. But my dealer (Eurosport Asheville) made me a heck of a deal and I'll be picking up my Damask Red Metallic GTL this week. Figure if I want to go "sporty" I can take off the top case :). The BIG PLUS is that my wife like the GTL better..."happy wife, happy life"

Even though I love the new RT, while I was at the dealership for other business, I decided to test ride the K1600GTL. I have a shorter inseam (29") and this bike really fits me well. Also the riding position is a little easier on these old knees. I bought the RT because everyone told me the GTL's were cumbersome, heavey and had no "soul", I find none of that to be true for me. That plus the fact I liked the bike at $5k less. But my dealer (Eurosport Asheville) made me a heck of a deal and I'll be picking up my Damask Red Metallic GTL this week. Figure if I want to go "sporty" I can take off the top case :). The BIG PLUS is that my wife like the GTL better..."happy wife, happy life"

Interesting. I love the RT, it is my 3rd one, and my 5th BMW motorcycle, so I reckon I am pretty loyal to the marque, but I am thoroughly fed up with BMW at the national customer service level. I have emailed them and telephoned and have yet to speak with a live human being. I am also fed up with wiping the dust off my bike in the garage, pretty confident that there is nothing wrong with it. So I want to be out riding, but I have no idea of a qualified timeline expectation. That, after this amount of time, is unacceptable. Even an update from BMW to say we are still working on a solution to this issue would be welcome. I know a bit about customer service and their expectations, and it is certainly not rocket science. Keeping people informed at regular intervals is key, even if it is just to say we are still working on it. Show that you are concerned about them even if the news is not good.

It is becoming more tempting to now say to hell with BMW, and go and buy another brand, but I still believe it is the marque that bests suits my personality and riding style. Yet I am less concerned with the technical issue itself and more concerned about their handling of the matter. I have told my dealer that I want to return the motorcycle and get a GT, but they are telling me they have had no guidance from BMW as to how to actually effect the switchout. They have been calling and emailing their rep with little effective response.

Ryeflyer.

leaning very heavy to trade for K1600GTL

Went over to my dealer yesterday, to take a test ride on the K1600. My dealer is over 140 miles from me, next closest is 158 in the other direction. :) After the standard release forms, my dealer tossed me the keys and said have fun. 2 and 1/2 hours later I showed back up! Nice ride! I had never ridden a K bike before. Sometimes the bike seemed a little heavy, (I have an 05 RT and the 14 RTW) which it is obvious by the 164 lbs difference in spec curb weight. Other times, it was HANG ON! Seems almost as nimble as the RT. I am looking at the GTL that has all the bells and whistles the RT had EXCEPT the Gear shift assist, and the Hill Start Control. Two really nice items I was really getting used to on the RT (in the 700 miles I got to ride) but certainly not deal breakers in this trade.
What has become a major irritant in this whole situation is BMW Financial. I financed my RT for my own reasons vs paying cash for it. BMW Financial is not being cooperative with deferring the payments and interest on my RT until it is back in service. This may or may not be "legally right" since I did sign a contract but certainly it would be the "morally right" thing to do. No one will give me a straight answer, and my 1st payment is due tomorrow. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about customer service at that level. My Dealer on the other hand has been superb! Worked me up a price that is actually less than what my RT was (alot less!). So my dilemma you ask? Stand my ground with the RT, and fight with BMW Financial. Or move on to another ride. I know every one I have talked to has told me that I will not like going to an "American" ;) bike since I have been riding Beemers. But I need to know also. Will test ride an "Ultra Limited" tomorrow. I am sure they wont let me disappear for 2 and 1/2 hours though! Oh and I realize it will be heavier still, by about another 200 lbs

Reservations about the K1600? But not deal breakers

1. The K motor, seems awfully complex and have heard that if it needs work it goes to the dealer, you cant do it.
2. Slight weight ratio
3. two minor feature differences
4. the cooling fan blowing exhaust on my left leg, HOT
5. Storage space. (but this was a nuisance on the new RT as well)

Plus marks?

1. Very attractive price! (2014 model 0 miles)
2. RT body styling and instrument cluster was copied from the GTL (Which I think is cool looking)
3. POWER! Holy Crap Marie!

Questions, comments? I use my bikes almost year round, commuting, and then try to take a long ride on vacation. So the GTL will see a lot of use. I like doing the "periodic maintenance" on my bikes, and get really anal sometimes about things that either don't look right or are failing / broken. On my RT I do the work myself in the shop on weekends, I don't want to have to run to the dealer every time I need something done.

Decisions, decisons

Went over to my dealer yesterday, to take a test ride on the K1600. My dealer is over 140 miles from me, next closest is 158 in the other direction. :) After the standard release forms, my dealer tossed me the keys and said have fun. 2 and 1/2 hours later I showed back up! Nice ride! I had never ridden a K bike before. Sometimes the bike seemed a little heavy, (I have an 05 RT and the 14 RTW) which it is obvious by the 164 lbs difference in spec curb weight. Other times, it was HANG ON! Seems almost as nimble as the RT. I am looking at the GTL that has all the bells and whistles the RT had EXCEPT the Gear shift assist, and the Hill Start Control. Two really nice items I was really getting used to on the RT (in the 700 miles I got to ride) but certainly not deal breakers in this trade.
What has become a major irritant in this whole situation is BMW Financial. I financed my RT for my own reasons vs paying cash for it. BMW Financial is not being cooperative with deferring the payments and interest on my RT until it is back in service. This may or may not be "legally right" since I did sign a contract but certainly it would be the "morally right" thing to do. No one will give me a straight answer, and my 1st payment is due tomorrow. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about customer service at that level. My Dealer on the other hand has been superb! Worked me up a price that is actually less than what my RT was (alot less!). So my dilemma you ask? Stand my ground with the RT, and fight with BMW Financial. Or move on to another ride. I know every one I have talked to has told me that I will not like going to an "American" bike since I have been riding Beemers. But I need to know also. Will test ride an "Ultra Limited" tomorrow. I am sure they wont let me disappear for 2 and 1/2 hours though! Oh and I realize it will be heavier still, by about another 200 lbs

1. The K motor, seems awfully complex and have heard that if it needs work it goes to the dealer, you cant do it.
2. Slight weight ratio

Plus marks?

2. RT body styling and instrument cluster was copied from the GTL (Which I think is cool looking)

Questions, comments? I use my bikes almost year round, commuting, and then try to take a long ride on vacation. So the GTL will see a lot of use. I like doing the "periodic maintenance" on my bikes, and get really anal sometimes about things that are either don't look right or are failing / broken. On my RT I do the work myself in the shop on weekends, I don't want to have to run to the dealer every time I need something done.

Decisions, decisons

You wouldn't be alone. Seems a few on the LT forum went to the K bike and got great deals doing so. If it were me and I could wait, I would wait, but I use my bike as primary, so I would have already had a loaner, different new BMW or got my money back and riding something different, in that order. If you can wait, you might be better off in the long run. The shock will probably be the only issue with this bike.

You wouldn't be alone. Seems a few on the LT forum went to the K bike and got great deals doing so. If it were me and I could wait, I would wait, but I use my bike as primary, so I would have already had a loaner, different new BMW or got my money back and riding something different, in that order. If you can wait, you might be better off in the long run. The shock will probably be the only issue with this bike.

I wouldn't bet much on the shock being the only problem. After reading these and other forums since I bought my oilhead (new '04) I would expect problems and some could be very expensive as well. BMW cars and motorcycles are not known for being trouble free. My '04 hasn't cost me much at all in 10 years and 45K miles but neither has it ever once been in a dealer for service or repairs. I wouldn't even try 100% owner service on one of the new models.

If it t'were me with one of these 2014 bikes i would get my money and walk right over to my Honda or Yamaha dealer. Or maybe better yet my friendly Ford store. Only kidding....kind of.

I wouldn't bet much on the shock being the only problem. After reading these and other forums since I bought my oilhead (new '04) I would expect problems and some could be very expensive as well. BMW cars and motorcycles are not known for being trouble free. My '04 hasn't cost me much at all in 10 years and 45K miles but neither has it ever once been in a dealer for service or repairs. I wouldn't even try 100% owner service on one of the new models.

If it t'were me with one of these 2014 bikes i would get my money and walk right over to my Honda or Yamaha dealer. Or maybe better yet my friendly Ford store. Only kidding....kind of.

I said that because the GS engine has been trouble free. Other than switch gear issues and the shock, I think that this will be a winner. The K bikes are another story. Boxers are BMW's bread and butter with bikes, their pride. That said, there's nothing Honda or Yamaha makes that I would buy. May be Kawasaki, may be Victory or Indian. I would agree that other marques are more reliable, but I haven't found another that knows how to balance function in such a way that it's a near perfect balance functionally. As to your last statement, that may be true and that's one thing that would keep me away in the future. I've only owned Kawasaki's before the RT and in general, they required less maintenance and had fewer issues, but they weren't complete either. I guess there's always a trade off.

What has become a major irritant in this whole situation is BMW Financial. I financed my RT for my own reasons vs paying cash for it. BMW Financial is not being cooperative with deferring the payments and interest on my RT until it is back in service. This may or may not be "legally right" since I did sign a contract but certainly it would be the "morally right" thing to do. No one will give me a straight answer, and my 1st payment is due tomorrow. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about customer service at that level. My Dealer on the other hand has been superb! Worked me up a price that is actually less than what my RT was (alot less!). So my dilemma you ask? Stand my ground with the RT, and fight with BMW Financial. Or move on to another ride. I know every one I have talked to has told me that I will not like going to an "American" ;) bike since I have been riding Beemers. But I need to know also. Will test ride an "Ultra Limited" tomorrow. I am sure they wont let me disappear for 2 and 1/2 hours though! Oh and I realize it will be heavier still, by about another 200 lbs

2. Slight weight ratio

Plus marks?

Questions, comments? I use my bikes almost year round, commuting, and then try to take a long ride on vacation. So the GTL will see a lot of use. I like doing the "periodic maintenance" on my bikes, and get really anal sometimes about things that either don't look right or are failing / broken. On my RT I do the work myself in the shop on weekends, I don't want to have to run to the dealer every time I need something done.

Decisions, decisons

If you think there was "heat" with the K, wait till you sit through two stoplight cycles on that limited. You will be wishing that rear cylinder wasn't right between your legs. And be repaired to go about 20 MPH slower in any curve than if you were on the BMW. Two completely different experience...what are you really looking for?

Sent you a PM Cliff. I think I was talking to Eurosport about your RT yesterday. I have some ?'s if you dont mind.

They seem like a very good and stand up dealer btw.

Thanks.

Sent you a PM Cliff. I think I was talking to Eurosport about your RT yesterday. I have some ?'s if you dont mind.

They seem like a very good and stand up dealer btw.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! This thread has brought out a lot of new members.
Gary

Thanks Gary.

I've been a long time MOA member just never posted or joined the forum.

I'm quite confused about a new 2014 RT or a K1600GT(L)..... Looking around for some insight.

The only thing I know for sure is that my lovely GSA is not cutting it anymore for my needs. In 1.5 yrs and +40k miles, only 1-200 have been spent off pavement. Time to be true to myself.

what happens when the shock fails

Thanks Gary.

I've been a long time MOA member just never posted or joined the forum.

I'm quite confused about a new 2014 RT or a K1600GT(L)..... Looking around for some insight.

The only thing I know for sure is that my lovely GSA is not cutting it anymore for my needs. In 1.5 yrs and +40k miles, only 1-200 have been spent off pavement. Time to be true to myself.

Maybe someone can help me. I was wondering if any of you out there know what would happen if the shock fails. I understand that oil can get on the back tire, and the shaft can break etc etc etc. I know that BMW has to give us the ultimate statement of loss of control to death. I get that. You can die every time you get on a motor, however I am looking for a common sense answer it the rear shock fails. Does the bike collapse onto the rear tire? or do you just lose damping ability and the ride becomes real springy. Does the bike explode and burst into flames? Or do you just have to slow down until you get to your destination. It seems like there is a lot of "worlds end" conversation out there. Aren't there thousands of moving parts on all bikes? And those parts are produced by the lowest bidder? And those parts could fail at any moment? At any rate, if someone could list what may happen if the shock fails, I would greatly appreciate it. And yes you can take it all the way to death---it's OK.

Tony C

Maybe someone can help me. I was wondering if any of you out there know what would happen if the shock fails. I understand that oil can get on the back tire, and the shaft can break etc etc etc. I know that BMW has to give us the ultimate statement of loss of control to death. I get that. You can die every time you get on a motor, however I am looking for a common sense answer it the rear shock fails. Does the bike collapse onto the rear tire? or do you just lose damping ability and the ride becomes real springy. Does the bike explode and burst into flames? Or do you just have to slow down until you get to your destination. It seems like there is a lot of "worlds end" conversation out there. Aren't there thousands of moving parts on all bikes? And those parts are produced by the lowest bidder? And those parts could fail at any moment? At any rate, if someone could list what may happen if the shock fails, I would greatly appreciate it. And yes you can take it all the way to death---it's OK.

Tony C
Another New Member to the forum- Welcome!
I would guess that the "Stop Riding" order covers all bases. If was narrowed down to a few exact situations it would have allowed for "situations unknown".
Gary

2. Slight weight ratio

Plus marks?

I've had two days now on my GT, and I decided to take out the RT to compare (shhhhh...don't tell anyone!) The RT feels lighter by far - a combination of the weight and how low the weight is carried. But now that I'm getting used to the GT, I've adapted to the heavier feel and I'm no longer thinking the RT is the clear winner in handling. The clutch of the GT is much smoother and the gearbox also shifts very quickly (and smoothly). I'm getting as good in low speed maneuvers with the GT as I was on the RT. I've also been in hot stop-and-go traffic and not noticed any heat issues. The GT also has these "flippers" you can open that direct air to you, which I really like. So besides missing the hill start control that is available on the RT, the only issue I'm having is parking lot maneuvering.

About the complexity - I'm betting there's significant complexity in both bikes - more parts for sure on a 6 versus a twin, but that doesn't translate to problems IMO. My BMW car has a six cylinder engine and I don't worry about its complexity - and it has twin turbos.

As for the cost, I ended up paying a few bucks more than the RT's price for the GT after the trade-in, so I'm assuming the dealer made some money and I saved a bunch. Seems like a fine win-win. The dealer shared what he knew as he learned it, including taking my RT in trade before the arrangements have been finalized about what they will do with the RT - no reason they should be penalized through this.

Gt

Jono

Thanks for the note. Like you, I am considering the GT. The impressions that you shared are helpful.

Because I am 300 miles from a dealer, my early decisions will have to be made without the initial test ride.

Ken

Got a call from BMWNA and they have offered me my choice of the 4 options as discussed on here earlier. I elected the 2500 dollar option and keep the RT. Another good news item Jay (BMWNA Rep) that there is a good chance the parts will be available by mid July. He indicated the supplier is moving faster than expected and they are gearing up to get the material to dealers and bikes fixed by the end of July. :dance

Lou

Got a call from BMWNA and they have offered me my choice of the 4 options as discussed on here earlier. I elected the 2500 dollar option and keep the RT. Another good news item Jay (BMWNA Rep) that there is a good chance the parts will be available by mid July. He indicated the supplier is moving faster than expected and they are gearing up to get the material to dealers and bikes fixed by the end of July. :dance

Lou

Be still my beating heart, "mid July". That sure beats 90 days. This is sounding better every day. I was hoping as time passed and things got ironed out the options might become more clear. We have seen aftermarket shock fix options here, you would think that BMW could figure out a way to get this remedied quicker than 90 days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Jono

Thanks for the note. Like you, I am considering the GT. The impressions that you shared are helpful.

Because I am 300 miles from a dealer, my early decisions will have to be made without the initial test ride.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I wouldn't make the trade without a test ride on the GT or GTL. The K-bikes are very different from the boxers - and the RT remains a very sweet ride.

Personally I think the K1600GT is a closer option to the R1200Rt Than is the the K1600GTL. The 'gt has a more forward incline to the riding position and higher footpegs. The gtl stands the rider upright with longer bars and lower footpegs. I ride my '11 RT VERY hard and would not conscider replacing it with a GTL as I would grind the pegs off before the first service. The GT and I would make nice dance partners

Interesting. I have emailed them and telephoned and have yet to speak with a live human being... Even an update from BMW to say we are still working on a solution to this issue would be welcome. I know a bit about customer service and their expectations, and it is certainly not rocket science. Keeping people informed at regular intervals is key, even if it is just to say we are still working on it. Show that you are concerned about them even if the news is not good.

... I have told my dealer that I want to return the motorcycle and get a GT, but they are telling me they have had no guidance from BMW as to how to actually effect the switchout. They have been calling and emailing their rep with little effective response.

Ryeflyer.

I call the BMW Hotline and was connected in very short order. They told me they would be in touch with the dealer and then called back in a few days and asked if I had any questions. My dealer was also in touch every couple of days as he got the information.

Back