• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I do solemnly swear that after 45+ years of BMW Ownership and 600K+ miles of riding B

I have four BMW motorcycles, however BMW does not have any current motorcycles that I would be willing to own outside of warranty. Which is to say, that they do not have any current motorcycles that I am willing to buy. I keep bikes a LONG TIME. I had a nice ride today, as I do most days, on my 38 year old R75. I can't imagine a 38 year old K1600!!!

That's a very good point. As of this year we have 20-yr old oilheads riding around. I think I'll keep mine.

I was under the impression that the leaking water pumps was no big deal & you could still ride with it leaking. :scratch

I was under the impression that the leaking water pumps was no big deal & you could still ride with it leaking. :scratch

Does that sound normal and reasonable to you? I've never heard a car manufacturer say that and consider Don and I live in Hell, I wouldn't think it's the best idea.

Don, my first BMW was Dad's 1968 R50/2: It was great.

My second was the 2007 BMW F800S - it was lemoned out.

My third is the R1200S and it has needed oil and tires and 2 valve adjustments in it life.

It is the most problem free BMW I've ever had. The K1600 you have is a lemon. Make the claim. Let BMW buy it back.

Sounds like a group of guys who don't want a new BMW. I've had 14 new BMW's since 2000. Avg. miles about 22k. Some much less, several over 40k. One failure. My '09 12GS needed a new rear shock under wty. Afraid I don't see your point about the new BMW's.

Last edited:
Sounds like a group of guys who don't want a new BMW. I've had 14 new BMW's since 2000. Avg. miles about 22k. Some much less, several over 40k. One failure. My '09 12GS needed a new rear shock under wty. Afraid I don't see your point about the new BMW's.

You never will if you buy a new one every year and never lay the miles or years on one.

and I am sure BMW prefers it that way.

I am sure that they do, but the evidence is all over this forum that our faith is misplaced. We have $25,000 motorcycles that go tango uniform regularly (but they don't leak coolant "abnormally"). Battery failures that lead to a tow. What used to be an inconvenience is now a trip ender. Changing a headlight, which used to be a Phillips screwdriver - and you could stow the spare bulb inside the headlight nacelle - is now an exorcism. Then just now, orders from headquarters not to ride your new RT because of some issue with the shock absorber. So, even if they will run you shouldn't do it. Bet me it has something to do with a computer telling the shock absorber to do something stupid like flick the rider off into near space.

What about those of use who ride these things to faraway places?

"..Hello BMW Roadside Assistance, can you send someone up to Inuvik today with one of those very special teeny batteries for my GS?"

I am sure that they do, but the evidence is all over this forum that our faith is misplaced. We have $25,000 motorcycles that go tango uniform regularly (but they don't leak coolant "abnormally"). Battery failures that lead to a tow. What used to be an inconvenience is now a trip ender. Changing a headlight, which used to be a Phillips screwdriver - and you could stow the spare bulb inside the headlight nacelle - is now an exorcism. Then just now, orders from headquarters not to ride your new RT because of some issue with the shock absorber. So, even if they will run you shouldn't do it. Bet me it has something to do with a computer telling the shock absorber to do something stupid like flick the rider off into near space.

What about those of use who ride these things to faraway places?

"..Hello BMW Roadside Assistance, can you send someone up to Inuvik today with one of those very special teeny batteries for my GS?"

Then there's Eilenberger's Axiom

"I'm betting BMW's solution will be some sort of clamp on ring, with a special tool to install it (probably an Oetker type design) allowing the dealer 30 minutes labor time to do the job (regardless of bike model..)

And I'm sure based on BMW's usual reactions to these sort of things:

1. What problem?
2. Oh, that problem. First we've heard of it.
3. You caused it
4. Your environment caused it (fuel properties usually)
5. We have no problem

Is at step #4 now... so I'm certain they've never heard of the problem in Europe.. (said with tongue firmly in cheek..) It's caused by bad US karma."

First the K1600 "issues" and now this RT (WC) issue. Can BMW make anything reliable anymore? Makes you wonder how just much pre-production testing is done nowadays... All are issues that should have been exposed prior to production. Unless these issues were known and they decided to let the dealers take care of it later... Until the latest General Motors recall scandal hit the press ( new reports of 74 deaths from their ignition switch problem ) and now everyone wants to be proactive with their safety recall issues.

First the K1600 "issues" and now this RT (WC) issue. Can BMW make anything reliable anymore? Makes you wonder how just much pre-production testing is done nowadays... All are issues that should have been exposed prior to production. Unless these issues were known and they decided to let the dealers take care of it later... Until the latest General Motors recall scandal hit the press ( new reports of 74 deaths from their ignition switch problem ) and now everyone wants to be proactive with their safety recall issues.

Well, I applaud them for being pro-active. Normally it's denial. May be it's a step in the right direction, may be it's CYA, but it was the right thing to do.

Enough is enough, I will use my Yamaha FJR1300 for street use...

Don, just so that you can have a good chuckle. This is a true story.

My friend who spent many years as an organizer for the Ride For Dad rides a FJR 1300.

While in the parking lot with other organizers and volunteers, one of the local BMW club directors who rides a BMW GS pulls up alongside. You know, the GS with the big poseur "I've been around the world" aluminum cases. So he flips open the case lid and starts to impress my friend with all the roadside fix-it stuff that he carries.

My friend just looks at him and says, "what do I need all that stuff for, I ride a Yamaha". :rofl

That was too good.

Last edited:
At first I thought that they had just implemented technology that was too cutting edge to be reliable, but that is not it. The Japanese manufacturers can make some pretty sophisticated stuff work. Also, some of the problems include things like final drives and water pumps. BMW has used final drives since 1923 and I think that Archimedes invented the water pump 200 years before Christ. So, I am at a loss to fabricate an excuse for them.

My friend who spent many years as an organizer for the Ride For Dad rides a FJR 1300.

While in the parking lot with other organizers and volunteers, one of the local BMW club directors who rides a BMW GS pulls up alongside. You know, the GS with the big poseur "I've been around the world" aluminum cases. So he flips open the case lid and starts to impress my friend with all the roadside fix-it stuff that he carries.

My friend just looks at him and says, "what do I need all that stuff for, I ride a Yamaha". :rofl

That was too good.

Many thanks for the chuckle Alex, I have to laugh about my K16 woes: Otherwise I would cry! Also thanks again for your Alps website, I always refresh myself with your information before I touch down in Munich!

Many thanks for the chuckle Alex, I have to laugh about my K16 woes: Otherwise I would cry! Also thanks again for your Alps website, I always refresh myself with your information before I touch down in Munich!

you could not give me a new k bike,,,,

I'll take his. :D

MarkM, are you sure? After everything else that has gone wrong with my 2012 BMW K1600GT in the three years that I have owned it and suffered through its many and various breakdowns, the right switch cluster was replaced today! I honestly do not trust this K16 any farther than 100 miles from my home, tired of getting towed/rescued! I LOVE riding this bike, but it is the DUMB BLONDE of Motorcycles!

Scan141560001.jpg

That was too good.

+1... my riding buddy has been on his 2007 FJR and has done NOTHING but oil changes since getting it new from the dealer. He never carries tools because he says he doesn't need to for two reasons; his bike doesn't break down and he rides with Beemer guys who have every tool made.

... my riding buddy has been on his 2007 FJR and has done NOTHING but oil changes since getting it new from the dealer.

That's odd, I can say the same thing about my '03 R1100S. :thumb

I had Hondas for years until I had to replace 4 sets of camshafts (all under warranty) and the starter button exploded in smoke and flame on one bike.

Don, looks like you got a "Friday Afternoon Bike" which, if your state has a lemon law, BMW should be buying back from you.

Back