• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I do solemnly swear that after 45+ years of BMW Ownership and 600K+ miles of riding B

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
I do solemnly swear that after 45+ years of BMW Ownership and 600K+ miles of riding Beemers I will never buy a BMW Motorrad Product EVER AGAIN!

My 2012 BMW K1600GT had three previous breakdowns before the "BIG ONE" when I rode to Austin for the Moto GP, I then filed for my first Trip Claim.

Long story short, after incurring $1,005.28 in costs involved in an aborted vacation due to another BMW Mechanical Failure they've offered me $135.13.

Enough is enough, I will use my Yamaha FJR1300 for street use and a Suzuki DR650 for dirt work. Amazing, I left Brit bikes for BMW Reliability in 1969!

Scan141550001.jpg

Not so good. You didn't show the dates on your initial letter (claim)...assume their dating is correct. I am a little confused. Since you were already in Austin, why didn't you attend the races and wait for Lone Star to repair bike? Couldn't Lone Star fix your bike within a reasonable time period? Even if it took an extra few days, looks like you'd been better off then what you had to go through. However, certainly get your point.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".

Shakespeare's "Henry VI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderman *View Post
"Sometimes life knocks you on your ass... get up, get up, get up!!! Happiness is not the absence of problems, it's the ability to deal with them." Steve Maraboli

Riderman why would I continue to deal with BMW problems, when my FJR's have NO problems at all! I bought my first BMW, 1966 R60/2, in Augsburg, Germany and have owned the brand ever since; 600K+ miles, seven Beemers.

I left behind forever my Triumph Speed Twin 500, Norton Atlas 750 and BSA Victor 441 because of their Lucas electrical problems and the constant oil leaks.

BMW Reliability is long gone, four road breakdowns in less than three years.

My 2003 Yamaha FJR had 110K miles on it, my 2013 grey FJR has 25K miles.

Not a single hint of a problem whatsoever with 135K miles on Yamaha motos!

Gonna need a new screen name and email address now Don. While I do not share your experiences or opinion of BMW, I do share your regard for the FJR. See you over on the owner's forum. Pterodactyl.

Not so good. You didn't show the dates on your initial letter (claim)...assume their dating is correct. I am a little confused. Since you were already in Austin, why didn't you attend the races and wait for Lone Star to repair bike? Couldn't Lone Star fix your bike within a reasonable time period? Even if it took an extra few days, looks like you'd been better off then what you had to go through. However, certainly get your point.

Motodan, I have a Special Needs Son (17). My Boy Seth is Autistic, any longer than five days away from his Daddy Don and he throws temper tantrums.

Normally Seth rides with me wherever I go, but during that time frame he had AIMS testing (State of Arizona required) and I unfortunately could not take him out of school then. Seth has ridden New Zealand with me, on a Harley! BeemerDonS and Seth Stanley at Cape North in Nova Scotia attending an FJR Rally:

IMGP2901.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna need a new screen name and email address now Don. While I do not share your experiences or opinion of BMW, I do share your regard for the FJR. See you over on the owner's forum. Pterodactyl.

Brother Kevin, I'm not going to sell my K bikes or my GS's: I am just not going to buy any more BMW Motorrad Motos, what Beemers I now have in my garage will stay there until I die (age 65, ha!). I have made way too many friends here at BMW MOA and over at BMW RA to give up the big time fun of BMW Rallies and the beer tent!

My next motorcycle purchase will be either a BMW R1200GS wethead or a Yamaha Super Tenere ES. Stories like this keep the Yamaha a close 2nd and may push it to the top of the list when the time comes.

Motodan, I have a Special Needs Son (17). My Boy Seth is Autistic, any longer than five days away from his Daddy Don and he throws temper tantrums.

Normally Seth rides with me wherever I go, but during that time frame he had AIMS testing (State of Arizona required) and I unfortunately could not take him out of school then. Seth has ridden New Zealand with me, on a Harley! BeemerDonS and Seth Stanley at Cape North in Nova Scotia attending an FJR Rally:

IMGP2901.jpg

I do understand. Yamaha it is. And again, it isn't what you ride, it's that you ride.

Don

as loyal owners of the mark, many of us understand where you are coming from. I have held on to my older (IMHO) more reliable BMW's because i have no interest in the complexity of today's BMW's. Not that my airheads or early oilheads haven't occasional broken, but for the most part I can fix them without too much fuss and aggravation. Not so with today's bikes. And BMW doesn't want to hear any part of it.....

again, just my HO

My next motorcycle purchase will be either a BMW R1200GS wethead or a Yamaha Super Tenere ES. Stories like this keep the Yamaha a close 2nd and may push it to the top of the list when the time comes.

Honda is coming out with a new Africa Twin, or CRF1000.

If they hold true to the power, weight and styling seen in concept renderings, it's my next bike.

I am tired of getting abused by BMW over the price of parts.

CRF1000.jpg

Last edited:
1978 r80/7

Still going strong at 106250. Did just replace original starter relay. Part's cost: $28.15. My labor. Good luck to you, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderman *View Post
"Sometimes life knocks you on your ass... get up, get up, get up!!! Happiness is not the absence of problems, it's the ability to deal with them." Steve Maraboli

Riderman why would I continue to deal with BMW problems, when my FJR's have NO problems at all! I bought my first BMW, 1966 R60/2, in Augsburg, Germany and have owned the brand ever since; 600K+ miles, seven Beemers.

I left behind forever my Triumph Speed Twin 500, Norton Atlas 750 and BSA Victor 441 because of their Lucas electrical problems and the constant oil leaks.

BMW Reliability is long gone, four road breakdowns in less than three years.

My 2003 Yamaha FJR had 110K miles on it, my 2013 grey FJR has 25K miles.

Not a single hint of a problem whatsoever with 135K miles on Yamaha motos!

We'll get you on an Indian yet!:huh

Ha, ha; that's a good one ponch1, if ever I needed to keep my Irish sense of humor it is now!

I've heard it's an improvement over a HD and you've owned and liked them. I just thought it would be a natural progression and all. I mean if Dean could own a Road King, anything is possible. :laugh

I have four BMW motorcycles, however BMW does not have any current motorcycles that I would be willing to own outside of warranty. Which is to say, that they do not have any current motorcycles that I am willing to buy. I keep bikes a LONG TIME. I had a nice ride today, as I do most days, on my 38 year old R75. I can't imagine a 38 year old K1600!!!

I have four BMW motorcycles, however BMW does not have any current motorcycles that I would be willing to own outside of warranty. Which is to say, that they do not have any current motorcycles that I am willing to buy. I keep bikes a LONG TIME. I had a nice ride today, as I do most days, on my 38 year old R75. I can't imagine a 38 year old K1600!!!

Neither can I. The engine alone is over $14000.

Back