• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200RTWC Using straps to tie down bags and so on

dogsbody

I was trying to use my Helen Twowheels tie down straps on the new RT. There are no round frame tubes to loop the webbing around in the area near the rear seat. The frame supports in the area have very sharp edges. It looks to me like the webbing would be cut in short order. Has anyone seen metal tie down loops that use the mounting screws in the area where the hard bags attach to the frame? Any ideas on using tie downs in some other way?

I will have some photos of a very ugly kluge to post very soon. Lots of time to work on it now that the bike will be sitting in the garage for weeks, months?
I am so happy I still have my old R850R!

Hadn't heard of this product before, looks interesting. I use ROK straps around the passenger grabrails, similar idea to the Helen TwoWheels straps. My feeling is that the edges of the rail have enough of a radius that chafe won't be an issue. The video on the H2W site shows them securing the straps to some sort of slotted plate, which would have to be worse than the passenger rail in terms of chafe. Of course it's a demo video and that particular setup may not work too well in real life.

The kluge, version 1

I picked up some pre split pipe insulation and several stainless circular pipe clamps. All stuff in Lowe's plumbing aisle. All very cheap. I attached the Helen Twowheels web strap to the grab rail, covered the grab rail with a bit of the pipe insulation and placed the clamps on each side to keep the strap from sliding on the grab rail. I don't think this is a real solution, but it's a start. I still wish I could somehow use one of the several large screws in the frame to connect the straps.
Problems remaining (1) I am not confident the strap won't slide on the grab bar under serious acceleration. (2) It is ugly.

Why don't you either, 1) put the pipe insulation on the strap and do away with the hose clamps, OR 2) get a large piece of rubber hose, like radiator hose, and secure it to the rail with zip ties (look neater than hose clamps) and then secure the strap around that.

I used to put the straps on the grab rails of my 05RT like you show , but NO rubber or clamps and never had any issues...once cinched down,(really cinched ya know) they did not move, or damage the finish. Dude...it's anRT...not a SS1000:laugh:laugh:laugh unless it's tweeky loose to start with, it' s not leaving.

On H's R12R, there is just enough space between the case mounting rail to push a strap thru...just ahead of front tab.

I have had good luck with "spec" quality nylon wire ties with the mounting holes to put an attachment point wherever I want-
OM

Attachments

• Cable-Ties-2CND2_AS01.JPG
    Cable-Ties-2CND2_AS01.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 150
I used to put the straps on the grab rails of my 05RT like you show , but NO rubber or clamps and never had any issues...once cinched down,(really cinched ya know) they did not move, or damage the finish. Dude...it's anRT...not a SS1000:laugh:laugh:laugh unless it's tweeky loose to start with, it' s not leaving.

I agree with Steve. My wife made straps like the one in the picture and I have attached them to the grab rails, rear rack, frame, ect. of our K1200RS and K1300S and nothings moves as long as it's snugged down.

OmegaMan, where can those type nylon ties be purchased? I've never seen that kind before.
Probably any electrical supply, a W.W. Graingers or McMaster Carr. They are really made so you can put a screw through the loop/eye and then close the tie as usual. You may even find them at a home improvement store.
I like to get the ones that are UV rated. The good thing is you can put one anywhere and remove anytime.
OM

RT luggage rack.

I realize that this is the WC forum, but 2013 RT's luggage tray looks very similar. Because I could't buy an RT specific rack and like some people, I did not want to scuff the paint. I made myself one out of aluminum sheet metal and powder coated it at a local shop. I did use buttom brackets of GS style Best Rest unit, and I did not drill any holes on bike's rack. It takes me few minutes to bolt onto the bike and it doesn't leave any scratches which was my intent.IMG_4186.jpg

Back