• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What I did on my summer kind-of-a-vacation

kbasa

Neither Tina or I have much vacation time. So we wound up flying to Ohio. Of course, we took the red eye so we could save a day of vacation time.

Let me tell you. Red eye flights are the equivalent of an airborne SS1K. You're uncomfortable, your body hurts and you're not going to get much sleep.

So, here ya go. We've got our riding gear on and we're ready to go. I've got David Sedaris on the iPod, Tina's probaby got TLC or Salt 'N Pepa or Prince or something.

29412528-L.jpg

So we got to Ohio at about 6am local time and picked up our rental car. We landed in KY actually. Apparently Cincinnati is sprawled clear over the Ohio River down into the state that makes my favorite liquor in the whole world.

We get to Hertz and pick up our car. I rented a Taurus. They gave us an Infiniti G35 4dr. w00t! 280hp! 350Z based chassis.

We head up north, stopping a couple times for naps in parking lots and rest areas before we finally get to the hotel and make it over to YB Central. Some things, I see, don't change. The YBs have their rally groove on, that's for sure.

29412533-L.jpg

Tina wonders what's up with the ears while Greg tries to explain.

Wimmen, they just don't get it.

29412552-L.jpg

listen, cone of silence here, OK? Just you and me. Let's talk about this rally site for a bit, shall we? You and me, K?

Alright, so I'm in Spokane and they start talking about going to Lima, OH? I'm all like, what the...., over? I'm assured that while the area ain't spectacular riding, the rally site is terrific. OK, cone of silence off. Dig it? wink, wink.

It is terrific. I'm really psyched. There's shade and lots of room.

They even have little signs on the flagpoles.

That'd be a cool sign to have hanging in my garage. Hope you caught one, Sue. I hear you've got a barn up there on Beemerhill.

29412566-L.jpg

This, my friends, is the look of a man surrounded by two chatterboxes trying to take it all in, in stereo, no less.

We met John and Andrea in a laundromat in Oshkosh, WI, I believe. Tina and I were at our first national and were doing laundry. They wandered in to do laundry and we started talking. Here we are again. At a rally, yakking.

See folks? This is what yer rally is about. Getting a look like John has here cuz you've been listening to and talking with so many of your friends you just can't handle anymore, but you can't stop.

29412583-L.jpg

Speaking of chatterboxes, here was the happiest guy I met all weekend. Talk about being in his element. This cat was playing host and having a ball every time I saw him.

Tina and I are sitting in the audience at the closing ceremonies. I look on stage and there he is, with a whole bunch of medals hanging on his arm. This, my friends, is a volunteer. He saw something that needed to be done and did it.

Loraz is my hero.

29412601-L.jpg

I'm not sure who this young man is, but he looked to be having a great time too. Up late, sleeping in a tent that night, lots of guys around doing guy stuff, lots of motorcycles and he's hanging with his dad. Plus, he's got some snacks and a big ol' lemonade that mom won't let him drink after 7 on a school night, but there he is on a warm summer night making memories that will last him his whole life.

Nice. I present the future of the BMW MOA. Ya heard it here first, kids. I bet this dude's got an airhead in 8 or 9 years and wins youngest rider to the rally.

29412605-L.jpg

Hiya *shag* :wave

And Michael, I see you in the back there too.

Hey, *shag*, that lighter light thing you gave me is totally cool. Thanks again.

29413652-L.jpg

Suppose you're deaf and mute. You're from behind the Iron Curtain, but you have a Jawa 350. You pack all your crap on it and start to ride it around the world. Deaf, mute, don't know the language and you're just about the perfect definition of a poverty rider.

You finally make it to America and you're having a ball. You're seeing it all. America! Such beauty! Until you get hit, wind up in the hospital and your Jawa's all crashed into garbage.

Your motorcycle buddies hear about it and organize. They wind up getting you a bike. They get you on the bike and send you on your way so you can continue to see America and live your dream.

I was at a funeral once for a riding buddy of mine. He had two teenage sons that he rode with. The kids looked out around the gathered folks and saw a bunch of their dad's clubmates sitting in the room in their wet riding gear. It was a wet New England day. He looks around and says, "My dad always told me my riding buddies would never let me down."

Damn straight. Here ya go. Proof that the kid is right.

29413654-L.jpg

Alrighty. Some of you know that I'm pretty involved in another forum. I help moderate it with a couple other guys, at least our little corner of that rather sprawling forum.

I'd met Dan once before in WV. We talked only briefly, but for the last couple years, we've talked pretty frequently. We finally got together and it was like we just picked it right up.

Here's another good, good friend I made because of motorcycles. Howyadoin' there, Dan? We're gonna get you back, you know. :ha

In a strange reflection of how that forum is, Dan and I are out front and Raaaabia is lurking in the back.

29413665-L.jpg

OK, so it's Frenzy Time.

I've gotta tell ya, I'm kinda crappy with names, particularly when I've got a bunch of beer and The World's Finest Liquor in me, so I'm just gonna post them all up here and try to see what happens.

So, if I forget your face, remember, I know your name from here. :thumb

Hiya, BG and, um, errrrr, well, *crackle, pop, buzz* i give up.

29413676-L.jpg

I think I'm with you, Rev. Willie. The other picture from Charleston is better.

Dunno quite why. Good to see around, man.

29413679-L.jpg

That's D'Lilah there in the front, with Ol'Salt and Red Hot (she's a Tina too!) in the back taking their own picture.

D'Lilah doesn't know it yet, but taking a shower in the morning ain't gonna be much fun. That's some kinda burn ya got there, young lady.

29413681-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Joecubana there on the left and um, uh, help me out here on the right.

While we were in there, a huge storm was getting ready to blow through. I'm talking just short of fire, brimstone, wrath of God stuff. I looked out to see if I could see an old lady pedaling a bicycle around a funnel cloud while that wizard off oz music paid.

these guys didn't care. We've got beer. We've got motorcycle buds to talk to.

Heck yeah.

What weather?

29413692-L.jpg

OK, so I think these folks were having the time of their life. Lots of handshaking going around. Lots of "Hi, I'm....." happening, lots of laughing.

Beer tent. Thursday night. Yeah, baby. Hanging with my peeps.

29413742-L.jpg

So the storm comes in, but the band's still playing, the place is full, all beer must be destroyed is the marching order and everybody's ignoring the storm.

Somewhere in here, somebody cares, but nobody I can see does.

The band's playing blues, but nobody has them. It seems wierd.

29415065-L.jpg

As a matter of fact, no.

Though here at home, I have some Balvenie Doublewood that hedge36 gave me.

Oh man.

Ride report, oh yeah. This is The Veg. He's from Texas. He's a hoot. He rides an airhead that BMWGypsy used to own. He's taken it everywhere. It makes him and the bike happy.

But he'd be happier if you said yes.

29415057-L.jpg

Back