• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cooling Vest Recommendations

ItsPhilD

First let me say I might not fully informed about the searchable options available on these Forums. When I searched for "cooling", "vest" or "cooling vest" there came back 1000's of results. I could not figure if there was a way to filter my results or ask it to only return results with both words together. Sooo I am posting a new thread.

I live in Phoenix and am looking for fellow desert dwellers/riders input into what they are using for keeping themselves cool in the 100˚+ heat we have. I'd like recommendations into which brand and model you've had success with as well as how you've achieved the best results.

TIA

Cooling Vest recommendation

My son and I have just returned from a cross country trip from SC to California. We were both on R1200R's. We used Silver Eagle Outfitters cooling vest. They worked great. They are designed so that you do not get wet as it is cooling. It would last all day without a problem in the environment of California, Nevada, and Utah. We wore them under Aerostitch suits. Everyone thought that we were crazy wearing all of our gear, but there is no other way to safely be in the dessert all day long and maintain hydration.

Take a look at LD Comfort turtle neck and underwear. There is also an article on how to stay cool when using it. Worked for me in hot dry weather wearing All the Gear, BMW street guard 2.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Done many summer rides out of Texas in 100+ heat and found the neck wrap from Polar-Products http://www.polar-products.com/index.php?p=view_product&product_id=1 works quite well. They also offer ones that go on the wrist though the neck wraps do the trick. They start out completely flat and dry though after soaking them in a container of water ( I recommend cold) the pellets inside absorb the water so the wrap inflates to about the diameter of a garden hose. The neck wrap lays on your carotid artery and is quite cold to the touch since it's constantly evaporating. By cooling the blood flow past your arteries it helps lower your core temperature.

I believe the cooling vests have improved in the last few years to keep moisture in better, but I found at least the one I tried dried out over time making it seem like I was wearing a winter ski vest in 110 degrees. Plus another large item to pack and find a large vehicle to soak them in before the ride. Most of the time I fill up the sink while packing or eating breakfast and let the wrap soak before heading out.

Best way I can describe the neck wrap would be like putting a cold wet towel around your neck during high heat. The wrap just feels damp and surprisingly cold. They pack easy and at gas or meal stops I soak them in cool water to give them a boost. I'd say effective for a good 4 - 5 hours at least.

If you go that route, get the style that attaches with Velcro. Best 10 bucks you'll invest for cooling. Still have mine after years since they completely dry out and ready for the next trip. Just choose the color you like.

I also live in Phoenix. You never stay cool in this heat, but you can make it a little better.

I like the cooling vest from E-Cooline. http://www.e-cooline.com.au/sports/cooline-inside/

They are expensive, but worth the price. Most vests cover your whole upper body like a winter vest. These are shorter, you don't need to cool your stomach area, just your respiratory area. The best part for us motorcyclists is they pack dry. No need to remember to pre-soak overnight and store in a ziplock bag when not in use. When the temperature starts to get too hot, just stop at any gas station, restaurant, wherever there is water and use their sink. It absorbs completely in less than one minute. Do not wring it out, just put it on. When using it, I like to keep most of my jacket vents closed, too much hot air flowing just creates the convection oven effect, cooking you faster.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

About the most effective gear I've experienced is the system from "Veskimo." The first time I used it was on a 107F day, and I actually shivered.

My son and I have just returned from a cross country trip from SC to California. We were both on R1200R's. We used Silver Eagle Outfitters cooling vest. They worked great. They are designed so that you do not get wet as it is cooling. It would last all day without a problem in the environment of California, Nevada, and Utah. We wore them under Aerostitch suits. Everyone thought that we were crazy wearing all of our gear, but there is no other way to safely be in the dessert all day long and maintain hydration.

Used my eagle outfitters KULA vest for two years now, gets a + rating from me! larger sizes have bee difficult to find recently as friends have have difficulty finding them

Got me a Techniche "HyperKewl" (purchased from Sound Rider)vest last summer. Reasonably priced. Works OK but evaporative cooling doesn't work so well here in the east with the high relative humidity. Should be great in the desert. The phase change gear is the best thing when it's humid, but it's pricey and bulky. And yes, riding in full gear is not only safer but helps keep you hydrated, even if you feel like a boil-in-bag sometimes.

pete

Got me a Techniche "HyperKewl" (purchased from Sound Rider)vest last summer. Reasonably priced. Works OK but evaporative cooling doesn't work so well here in the east with the high relative humidity. Should be great in the desert. The phase change gear is the best thing when it's humid, but it's pricey and bulky. And yes, riding in full gear is not only safer but helps keep you hydrated, even if you feel like a boil-in-bag sometimes.

pete

I bought one of their vest at the rally in St Paul. Used it on the way home to NC under my Klim Badlands Pro jacket. Worked great and stayed moist for many hours. Good value IMHO.

I've been using a Joe Rocket Sahara vest for years. Works extremely well in the drier hotter parts of the SW- UT, CO, AZ, etc. Packs dry. Pretty inexpensive. Better than other evap vests I have experienced.

I was researching options for a cooling vest to help with the Summer commute. After looking through numerous websites and searches I found that there were lots of options and choice. I put together a list of products which is probably the tip of the iceberg.

I may eventually buy a vest, but for now on my short commute I use a wet Chamois on my neck to keep me cool.

View attachment Cooling Vest.doc

An Objective Review Would Be Great

I was researching options for a cooling vest to help with the Summer commute. After looking through numerous websites and searches I found that there were lots of options and choice. I put together a list of products which is probably the tip of the iceberg. . .

View attachment 46106

Looks like a good start for a Motorcycle Consumer News piece. You should drop them a line.

Back