• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Plane Is Flying Over Your House?

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Have you ever wondered where that plane flying over head is going and what type of aircraft? Every day you see planes in the sky, sometimes very high, with or without con-trails. We often ask ourselves these questions: What type of plane, Airbus A320, 330, Boeing 727, 747 or some other manufacturer.

Where did it come from, where is it going, what altitude, what speed, what airline, etc. Well, now you can see all this information instantly on your laptop screen. I just watched the plane whose vapor trail I could see over head, on my laptop, and was blown away by all the information and also the view.

I can now see why an air traffic controller is one very, very busy person.

Here is a note to help you get more out of your visit to this site. These are all the aircraft in the air right now. In the left hand column, there is a box called "planes". The number in the box is the number of aircraft airborne. This view is what the various airport air traffic management people see for planning purposes.

Some additional tricks:

Drag the map to take you to the area you want to view.

To view your region or town, you can zoom in by tapping with your mouse. On the map you will see all the planes in the air. When you click on a airplane, on the left screen you will get all the information related to; airline, plane type, air speed, altitude in real time that is re-calculated every 10 seconds. On some you can also click on view from the cockpit.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

They are B1 bombers on their primary low altitude training route aimed toward their turn at Nine Point Mesa.

This photo shot from the back porch.

I am advised by a B1 pilot that they usually are between 500 and 1,000 feet AGL (above ground level) at a nominal speed of .92 mach.

Attachments

• B1 Bomber1.jpg
    B1 Bomber1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I tried the free app on my phone, but it only shows the airline and flight number. It doesn't show the aircraft type or the route.
I might pay the $2.99 for the Pro version.

I live near an major international airport. Too many airplanes flying over to care about tracking any of them :p

I tried the free app on my phone, but it only shows the airline and flight number. It doesn't show the aircraft type or the route.
I might pay the $2.99 for the Pro version.

ALTERNATIVELY, use the browser version, it is free.

BUT if you purchase the $2.99 app - let us know how you like it.

They are B1 bombers on their primary low altitude training route aimed toward their turn at Nine Point Mesa.

I am advised by a B1 pilot that they usually are between 500 and 1,000 feet AGL (above ground level) at a nominal speed of .92 mach.

Cool shot Paul.

I live in the flight path/approach to the nearby "International" airport.
All manner of planes flying overhead.

I well remember those three(?) days sept 12, 13, & 14 2001... All air traffic shut down post 911 attacks.
Those were very quiet days.

Yesterday a B-17G, a B-24, a B-25, and a P51 Razorback all flew over.

The Collings Foundation Wings of Freedom national tour heading to their next stops in NorCal, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Every year they spend Memorial day weekend at Livermore Airport about 5 miles from here.

DEFINITELY worth the time if they are coming near you: http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

:dance:dance:dance

Pre first grade we lived in Rapid City. Lots of B-36 flying over, sometimes all 6 propellers turning, sometimes not. B-1s there during MOA National in '92 and I believe still today.

I'm near a municipal airport, some make it, some don't. This was a Cessna. :eek

Attachments

• plane crash.jpg
    plane crash.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 130

First B1 I saw was in their early flight testing. Traveling down a remote central Nevada highway one afternoon, when this big ass bird came over a ridge line to the west. Clearing the ridge by 100 feet or so, it nosed down quickly and followed the slope of the mountain. Went across the valley at high speed, never more than about 100 feet above the terrain. Climbed the mountains to the east and dropped out of sight. Don't have any idea of the speed, but it was FAST! :D

Fair enough.

On my iPad it asked if I wanted to download the app. I responded no, so it went to safari web page free version.

I tried the website a couple more times and it was not the same as viewing on the computer. I couldn't get a map view with the planes. I was able to get a long lists of flights, but didn't know if they were close to me.
I downloaded the Pro version to my phone and it looks the same as the website when viewing on a computer. Pretty neat.
Sometimes at work I'm surveying west of Des Moines where the aircraft are fairly low, and when I look up I wonder what type of aircraft and where they are headed. Now I can pull out my phone and find out :)
Thanks for the cheap entertainment :)

I live not to far from the Chino Airport. So in addition to the normal light aircraft and commercial stuff, I get to see a lot of vintage war-birds fly by. So I've seen formations of P-38's, Zeros, a lot of B-25's, Migs & Sabre jets, B-17's, C-47's, a gaggle of P-51's, well you get the idea. Chino has several air museums and private companies that restore the vintage airframes. In early May, they have their annual airshow, so the skies are full with of fighters, bombers and cargo haulers then. Look at the Chino Airport on Google Earth and you might be surprised what you see parked there. (Just had a fly-by from a P-51 as I am writing this, no mistaking that engine).

I also get to see an occasional C-17 or KC-135 from March ARB. And once in a while a V-22 from the USMC dropping off people in the nearby Cleveland National Forest.

And when fire season is in full force and something is burning nearby, then you can add converted P3's, P2's, Air Guard C-130's, a lot of rotary wing stuff and once in a great while that fire fighting DC-10.

I live not to far from the Chino Airport. So in addition to the normal light aircraft and commercial stuff, I get to see a lot of vintage war-birds fly by. So I've seen formations of P-38's, Zeros, a lot of B-25's, Migs & Sabre jets, B-17's, C-47's, a gaggle of P-51's, well you get the idea. Chino has several air museums and private companies that restore the vintage airframes. In early May, they have their annual airshow, so the skies are full with of fighters, bombers and cargo haulers then. Look at the Chino Airport on Google Earth and you might be surprised what you see parked there. (Just had a fly-by from a P-51 as I am writing this, no mistaking that engine).

I also get to see an occasional C-17 or KC-135 from March ARB. And once in a while a V-22 from the USMC dropping off people in the nearby Cleveland National Forest.

And when fire season is in full force and something is burning nearby, then you can add converted P3's, P2's, Air Guard C-130's, a lot of rotary wing stuff and once in a great while that fire fighting DC-10.

Chino is a must see for anyone interested in the history of aviation, some rare and exceptional aircraft!

And to the OP, sorry for the thread hijack! :bow

The ap you directed us towards is uber-cool. I live about 20 miles due west of Sea-Tac, so what I see all the time is a bunch of folks headed towards Hawaii and the Far East...:D

Cheers!

I'm 25 miles east of the 3800 acre hardwood bombing range. F-16's from air national guards states surrounding Wisconsin practice bomb/strafing there. Every other year there was a open house where you could watch the jets come in tree top level firing their guns and dropping bombs ,with lots of demilitarized equipment to go thru and climb all over. Since 9/11/01 this has ended and razor wire has gone up. I used to go in to the flight tower on weekends and stand up top around the porch around the tower these guys are great but now this has all changed now you have to stand outside the fence a 1/4 mile away if you want to watch. Twin prop Helo's drop men from ropes and do fly byes firing their door guns. one year a group of civil war recreaters set up a cannon battery of 25 cannons firing them all at once, wow that was something to see/hear. there was a 30 cal set up you could stand in line to shoot 25 rounds of live ammo down range.to bad these day are gone now. The same thing goes at fort McCoy with the apache helo's doing maneuvers and live fire exercises'.

Back