• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anonymous Book Problem/Question

David13

On another forum a rider had a problem in Pagosa Springs (CO).
There are a number of listings in the anon book, but is it acceptable to use the anon book for someone who may or may not be a member?
And also, is it acceptable use of the anon book on behalf of someone else. Or just your own situations.
dc

It's members only. From the title page:

"The BMW Owners Anonymous is for the exclusive use of members of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America as an assistance to touring members..."

Good questions. Is it good form for me to use the BMWMOA Anonymous book when I'm riding my FJR?

Doubt there are any rules, just opinions. My opinion... make the call, be honest about the situation, be prepared for the person you called to have a different opinion on the subject and declne to help. I think most people will provide help.

Maybe be the intermediary? Call the numbers in the book and see if there's someone willing to help. If you find someone, get back to the stranded rider and pass on contact info.

I'd probably use the book if I had it with me (or if I had an app!) and had troubles in my car sometime. As indicated, I'd be honest about what was going on and see if I could get some assistance while away from home.

I think most of us would assist anyone in distress. The book is simply assistance in finding someone that is willing to help.

I'll help anyone in distress, member or not. I am bothered by those who take the "members only" stand. This does not sit well with the general desire of the club to expand and bring in new members. Imagine someone finding a copy of the book when the were broken down somewhere only to be told that they were on their own because they weren't an MOA member. Do you think they'd ever be inclined to join our club?

MT & Sedan are right on - several times, I've given away a "last year's" book to another rider: "Here's one of the big benefits if you join." Two neighbors who ride GSXR-1000s were amazed that we have such a thing (no I didn't give them a book).

I agree with Kevin and Paul. Honesty's best, and I wouldn't leave a distressed rider hanging either.

OTOH, the book is a product of our club, and we should be reasonable about sharing it. If it were (for example) to become freely available to all on the net, then some reason for joining the MOA would disappear.

We've had several opportunities to assist folks passing through our area and will continue to. Most all have been BMW riders though not all have been via the anonymous book. I'm reluctant to jump into another brand bike due to my lack of knowledge, but if it's something simple or it's BMW, whatever I have I'll make available to the rider in need. Regarding passing the book on, I've shown it to new BMW riders to encourage them to join the MOA, but have never given one away. I just keep putting the most recent one under the seat of the bike I'm currently riding, and recycle the oldest one. In 40 plus years of membership I've only used it once, not in an emergency but to support a logistical need: we were traveling to a '49er Rally one year from ID, my wife on her own bike didn't want to ride with lunatic fringe CA drivers so we found a member in the AB who lived in Reno, NV, who allowed us to leave her bike there while we two upped to the rally. It all went well and I'm always comforted by the knowledge that I have the AB with me and the caliber of those folks included in it.

Help

It's members only. From the title page:

"The BMW Owners Anonymous is for the exclusive use of members of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America as an assistance to touring members..."

Twenty years ago we helped a young returning (from Honduras) US army helicopter pilot that was taking the short cut across southern Ontario from Fort Drum to Wisconsin. He and his girlfriend broke down in his TR7 on a Sunday. We were able to get them of the QEW and they ended up staying with us for 3 days until his father came from WI with a trailer to get them home.

We still get a Christmas message from them each year with an update on them and their children, with his career in the military (now USAF) these messages have come from all over the world. His parents are also MOA members and they make sure that they find us at the National each year. They say they can never thank us enough for helping there children.

We now have lifetime friends from a simple act of helping someone in need.

I wasn't debating the issue of helping or not.
Just the issue of the use of the book.
Someone else had already contacted him and determined he was in as good a position as possible. And that if he needed further assistance it would be provided.
dc

Well, the last three rescues at our place have been:

1. Goldwing sidecar rig - blown rear tire. Not an MOA member.

2. Honda Shadow rider with a Harley rider - flat rear tire. Not MOA members.

3. K1300 - final drive caught fire - MOA member.

We are an equal opportunity rescue operation in the Texas Big Bend.

Back