• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Beartooth Highway Opens Today......

Nice!

I had the opportunity to ride the Beartooth 3 years ago bringing my new (to me) '08 RT back from CO. I can't say for sure it is at the very top of the list of all-time senic rides, but I'm sure it is very near the top at least.

Regards,

Marty

I've only ridden it once in July. Snow, slush and fog with my visor and glasses both steamed up - couldn't see much. Oh, and I am squeamish on ice. Never saw a thing so it is still on my bucket list to do-over - this time I will make sure it is hot and dry.
:blush

Last edited:
Beartooth

I used to live in Red Lodge in the early 70's and rode my 70 CB-750 over the pass then in Cooke City and Yellowstone. Great, great ride. Of course being young and not quite so bright, when we returned to Red Lodge, my friend and I who had a 900 Kawasaki used to see how far we could back riding with no hands, just using balance and low gearing to maneuver. Most of the hairpins were our downfall and we had to put our hands back on the bars, but there were a few we could negotiate. Ahhhh, good times!

42 degrees at the top.

A number of skiers and Memorial day traffic today, but sunny and beautiful ride.
25 foot drifts in spots along the way

Attachments

• DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 79
My brother and I went through there in '07, it is beautiful. However, the most admiring sight was a group of bicyclist pedaling up and over....quite a feat in my book.

Last edited:
Beartooth.......

First attempt today with the Go Pro on the Beartooth........lots of vibration in the video, I'll try a different mount.
On my new F800 GS Adventure, magic day what a ride!

Attachments

• GOPR0035.jpg
    GOPR0035.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 62
not My favorite road

There is only ONE passing lane on this road. When I rode it on the way to Gillette national BMW rally, another BMW rider crashed into me. The reason he lost control, though a very experienced rider, was that he was in that one passing lane, and that passing lane was covered with sand which looked exactly like the very clear swept surfaces we had both encountered in different directions to that point.

Maybe whoever is responsible for sweeping the winter sand off this passing lane got the message. And maybe they didn't. I pursued this issue with lots of appropriate agencies and got no response.

It is a great road with great scenery, but beware of that passing lane whether you are tempted to use it or riding in a direction that opposes it.

Ski Lift was running......

The lift is still there and was running, it was busy with young 20 somethings since the drop must be black diamond type and some 50 degrees on the face. Crazy to be sliding down a mountain with that gradient, almost as risky as say..............riding motorcycles.:D

...must be black diamond type and some 50 degrees on the face. Crazy to be sliding down a mountain with that gradient...:D

The Area screens its skiers and riders for advanced skills.

And, yes, that slope sure looks like it could be 50 degrees. :D

Last edited:
Back