• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Parts Question

nevadaslim

I have a 1980 R100/T bike, I'm currently rebuilding the front forks.

I've got all of the parts I think I need but found one part on the micro-fiche that I just can't figure out where it goes.

See photo item #13. P/N-31 42 1 231 483 Shaft Seal. What shaft?

Any ideas where this o-ring goes? I know it looks like the brake caliber pivot-bolt o-ring, but it's not, different P/N.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've spent hours trying to figure out this part.
Mike...

Attachments

• Lower Leg O-Ring.JPG
    Lower Leg O-Ring.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I sure don't know, but the photo of the slider (below), coupled with the position of the seal, in the drawing, looks like it might fit here ( in the hole near "7" ) ???

31421233509_1_B.jpg

Item 13 on Card 31-0315, 31 42 1 231 483, is indeed the o ring that goes in the lower leg on the ATE brake models up to 9/80 with the eccentric adjuster. Item 2 on Card 34-0604, 34 11 1 231 469, is the o ring that goes on the lower end of the eccentric adjuster bolt itself. Both ends of the bolt are sealed.

I sure don't know, but the photo of the slider (below), coupled with the position of the seal, in the drawing, looks like it might fit here ( in the hole near "7" ) ???

31421233509_1_B.jpg

You know, I think you're on to something. While the o-ring won't actually fit into the hole, the brake-caliber-cam-bolt fits in there very snug, it looks like it could fill the gap between that hole and the cam on the brake caliber bolt.

If that is in fact where these O-rings go, neither one of my caliber bolts had them on when I bought the bike, adding to my confusion. Either-way, you've given me hope(light at the end of the tunnel) as to a possible location, so I'm going to go ahead and order two($10.74ea.) ouch! And see if they fit.

Thank you so much,
Mike...

PS: You would think BMW would have put this part with the brake caliber cam bolt parts listing instead of the fork slider tube parts listing. Arrr!

"PS: You would think BMW would have put this part with the brake caliber cam bolt parts listing instead of the fork slider tube parts listing. Arrr!"

The parts lists are done the way they are because they reflect the order, and subassembly stage, the bikes are built in, not the functionality groups. So this brake group part goes with the slider subassembly, which is the stage at which it is installed.
This principle is also why repair procedures in resources like Clymer, which copies the shop manual, will contain excessive labor in some procedures, as disassembly is treated as literally the reverse of factory assembly. A typical example of this is the direction for RS/RT bikes, to remove fairing to clean and lube steering head bearings. The job can be done fine with fairings on, and likely takes less time as well, but in the factory the fairing goes on later, hence it "must" be removed. Undoubtedly this procedure logic also drives up quoted shop labor in certain instances.

Back