• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Revelation. WARNING: Transmission Oil Thread

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I have always purchased quality oils for my vehicles. Some synthetic, some not, but all had a brand name - except for my transmission and FD oil in my Beemer. For some reason or other which I cannot explain I bought the stuff that bore the name of the store where I was buying it. I figured, "Its GL-5, they don't brew it themselves but buy it from a big-name supplier (I'm guessing), should be good enough."

Well, in changing my transmission oil this spring I had the Brainiac idea to buy something motorcycle specific. It happened to be Belray Gearsaver but I'm sure there are many other fine suppliers. Well...since the change I have enjoyed smoother shifting than I have ever had.

Moral: Pay a little more for a quality product and reap the benefits of the research that went into it.

Now, if someone can help me understand why I was a jackass for so many years, I'd appreciate it. :blush

I tend to roll with what works or is working until I have a reason to change. This is how I came about my recent endorsement (in a thread) as to the performance of Lucas products and the 1 Amsoil I tried. It's nice to hear of a change that works. :thumb
OM

Interesting comments. I tend to go with "approved" lubricants, SAE, API, GL, NLGI, etc. because in order to advertise those accreditation's, they need to pass the criteria as set out by the various organizations and the ASTM.

I tend to shy away from the others as "snake oil". Don't get me wrong, I use some lubricants with no accreditation and it works for me.

But if I recall, there was thread from last year from someone very loyal to the Duluth manufacturer and I had suggested that garter snake guts sucked up off the pavement had the equal accreditation and similar loyal following.

If it works for you, it works for you. An open mind to alternatives is an open mind to alternatives.

It's garter snake guts sucking up time again very shortly here so if you want some, I'm taking orders now. No promises that it will work for you.

I've been happy with the Bel-Ray Gearsaver for many years.
I've even had the opportunity to switch back and forth between that and the BMW mutil-weight trans oil (75W or 80W? -140; I'm not going out to the garage to look) several times, and I've consistently found that the Bel-Ray shifts slicker under all conditions EXCEPT when "Extremely Hot"; the BMW oil seems to provide a little more cushion then.
I also like that it's red - so if something is leaking, the different color makes it easier to tell where it's coming from.

How many garter snakes does it take to get a quart? Our desert rattlers might be a better deal...

How many garter snakes does it take to get a quart? Our desert rattlers might be a better deal...

Desert rattlesnakes are a lot like Jamaican hockey players. They might be good but it takes a lot of them to find the right one. AND, no more quick passive aggressive comments about the desert allowed directed on this forum to people that live in Canada that might have snow tomorrow. We be a bit sensitive about the -5C tonight.

I hate hijacking these threads but an FYI for anybody that cares, Narcisse, 80 miles north of me has the highest concentration of mating Garter snakes and the largest concentration of any kind of snake on the planet. It's a blast to see hundreds of horny little critters go after one female. It's a lot like me and my buddies in any given bar on any given Saturday night.

Whatever works for you, go with it. Some might choose to disagree.

For forty plus years, I've used Castrol products, gear oil, motor oil and brake fluid, even when BMW declared they were inferior to BMW requirements. Now BMW is using Castrol for BMW motor oil. Who'd a thunk... Anyway, never an engine, trans, drive shaft or rear drive issue. Brake systems have held up well also. Each to their own I guess but if it works for you, stay with it.

Back