Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ON magazine with starter cleaning article?

  1. #1
    Matt Norton smnort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Posts
    2

    ON magazine with starter cleaning article?

    Anyone remember what month the article for the starter cleaning / maintenance on a 1150 was?

    I put that months magazine somewhere so I can reference the article when I got to the project - now I have no clue where it is

    Hopping someone can recall what month the article is so I can get a copy from a member in my club

    Anyone recall?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Here's a link to a thread on advrider.com where a guy strips down a starter. You might search there, here, and on ukgser.com as well.

    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=starter

    It's a real shame and failure that every article Paul Glaves and Matthew Parkhouse ever wrote is not available at the click of a mouse to BMWMOA members.

  3. #3
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,951
    Not free to nonmembers
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  4. #4
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,930
    Quote Originally Posted by smnort View Post
    Anyone remember what month the article for the starter cleaning / maintenance on a 1150 was?

    I put that months magazine somewhere so I can reference the article when I got to the project - now I have no clue where it is

    Hopping someone can recall what month the article is so I can get a copy from a member in my club

    Anyone recall?

    Thanks
    It was the first part of the column in the February, 2014 ON

    Here is what it said:

    "OILHEAD STARTERS: These starters often emit a screech just as the starter button is released. Almost always the noise is coming from the one-way clutch built into the nose drive of the starter. Once the starter is removed the round silver disk visible just behind the nose gear is the one-way clutch. There is a visible seam on the forward face of the clutch. To eliminate the screech I clean the starter drive and clutch. I use electric motor cleaner available at any good auto parts store for this purpose. I first clean the entire visible portion of the starter drive with cleaner and compressed air. I then support the starter nose up and spray cleaner right into the seam on the starter clutch. A few squirts followed by compressed air cleans the clutch and the screech will go away for ten or twenty thousand miles. Then it is time to repeat the process. While I have the starter removed and in the vertical position I always also place a few drops of light machine oil where the shaft is located in the nose bushing. I allow a few minutes for the oil to seep down into the shaft bushing interface and then reinstall the starter."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  5. #5
    Aspiring Profligate jeff488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Not free to nonmembers
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

  6. #6
    Motorcycleton
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by gsbruce View Post
    It's a real shame and failure that every article Paul Glaves and Matthew Parkhouse ever wrote is not available at the click of a mouse to BMWMOA members.
    I recently discovered that the whole ON magazine can be downloaded as a pdf file. There are a number of past issues available. The method to find the issue desired and download it is definitely not straightforward. In another thread I created some detailed instructions on how to find and download the ON as a pdf. That thread link is below - look for post #12 in that thread -

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....RS-brake-lines

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    I recently discovered that the whole ON magazine can be downloaded as a pdf file. There are a number of past issues available. The method to find the issue desired and download it is definitely not straightforward. In another thread I created some detailed instructions on how to find and download the ON as a pdf. That thread link is below - look for post #12 in that thread -

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....RS-brake-lines
    This process for downloading archived articles does not work on an iPad. Thanks for describing the arcane ritual that must be performed on a PC to download entire older issues so one can view about 3-5 pages from an issue. I'm going to try to download and edit them down (delete pages in Acrobat) to the oilhead technical articles if possible, if that doesn't work I'll just print those pages for future reference.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2

    Oilhead Starter Replacement

    I had the same problem. Two years ago I found a new replacement starter for my 1999 R1100RT from Discount Starter & Alternator for $72 delivered to my house (http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com). It matched up perfectly and still works great after almost 2 years. I still have my original, so I will do the clean and lube fix and keep it for possible future use.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •