• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A little F800GS maintenance-

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I had a minute today so I thought I'd install the parts recently in from Touratech.

First was rear brakes- very easy. Remembering "sides" are as the driver is seated..
Up on center stand look things over and blow off the dust (carefully) with a regulated blow gun with shop air.

Next, from the left side of the bike, look at the caliper and look through the wheel to the rear brake- brake fluid reservoir and slowly push on the caliper and watch the fluid return to the reservoir. You should now see plenty of space between the rotor and the pads.
There is a small "hair-clip" that stands up and that is the next part to be removed. You will notice that it was pulled out of a hole that will need to be vertical during reassembly.

Using a small pin-punch, tap the pin towards the right hand side of the bike. Once it moves a bit, it will come right out due to the friction ring on the pin.
The pads should basically drop out so keep an eye on how they were in there although it would be tough to put them in wrong. You can look the area over for cleanliness and perhaps touch up the "far side" landing with a small brush or a screwdriver with a rag on the tip.

Make sure the pin is clean and just start it back in- right to left, and put the inside pad in position- it just sits on the rear tab. Bring the pin in a little more and repeat with the "outboard" side pad. As you bring the pin further in you will notice it contacts the "friction ring" and you will need the pin-pinch again to finish tapping the pin into position.

Make sure the hole is vertical so the clip can be pushed back in.

Your ready for a test drive. It's about a 20 minute job.
Good luck.
OM

Last edited:
I also put on some of those Grab-On grip (foam) covers. So far I like the feel. The ones I got seemed to fit tight so I skipped the "put some hair-spray" on to keep them in place step. I had to use the old dirt bike trick of using compressed air to "inflate" the grip.
If later I find some movement, I can roll the grip back and put some stick-em on it.
OM

Lastly, for today, Touratech offers a small metal bracket that keeps the tank bag from engaging the horn button when the handle bars are turned hard lock left. It is easy and effective.
OM

Back