• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

magnification sheet

Is it possible to magnify the speedometer without cooking it.

plastic magnification sheet ?

Thanks

Bifocals for the speedo? Wouldn't a set of those spiffy safety glasses with cheater bifocals (~10) work?

For a dollar or two more, you can get shades......:)

I think you would have to try a few things and I understand your concern on the baking. I think that more than baking, you would have problems with moisture getting trapped and clouding the view. If it's just a small segment you want to view better you may get away with the "paper weight" sit-on style.
OM

Bifocals for the speedo? Wouldn't a set of those spiffy safety glasses with cheater bifocals (~10) work?

For a dollar or two more, you can get shades......:)

I have those motorcycle safety glasses in clear and smoke. The top 80% is plain safety glasses with no prescription built in. The lower edge is available in various reading glasses powers. Perfect for viewing the instruments, they're all in focus.

I wear glasses, and the pair I use while riding has its lower (close) segment set to focus at the distance between my eyes and the instruments when I'm on the bike. The close segment is also lower (on the lens) than normal, so that the division line (in my vision) between close up (i.e., the bike's instruments) and far away (everything else) is just at the instruments' top. I can easily read all the instruments, and see everything above them through the "distance" rx in the upper part of the lens.

Mine, too

I had a pair of glasses made for this specifically. My Rx had not changed so for my 'annual pair' I had these made up under my health plan insurance coverage. They are just like dbrick's, perfect Rx for the guages in the reading section and distance Rx for all else. The reading section toward the middle and inside of the lower part of the lense, leaving the outer part in the distance Rx. This allows me to also just flick my eyes to the mirror to use the distance Rx for things behind me, something you cannot do with progressive lenses, as you can only focus in the center of the lense and change distance by moving your head up and down. (Reading a book with progressives requires rotating your head continuously, rather than your eyes.....).

I also had my eye doc bend the frames such that the bottom of the lense is canted out to almost vertical as opposed to the standard of having the lenses be more tilted out at the top (fashion and reading focus attributes). This reverse of the standard tilt helps in my helmet as I lean forward and look out the upper section of my visor opening. They even worked in a full tuck on my track bike when I had it.

I did have them made of the photo-grey material, but in the helmet, they rarely change much.

Though, prior to needing the distance Rx, I tried using the Costco Cheaters, to varying degrees of success. If the OP does not need any additional visual assistance than reading the guages, these cheaters and/or the red arrow above would likely be the best option

Thanks for all the great suggestions

I'm behind a windshield and a face shield wearing prescription progressive transition glasses and it works.

I would really like to shed the glasses especially on all day multi day rides. The glasses become uncomfortable. I can see good enough to ride without them except for seeing the dash.

The instrument cluster appears to be about 8"x 6" or a little bigger . 3 individual magnifiers may work

A variation ram-mount big screen magnifier from the link below from 2bikemike is probably a good starting place

I'm hoping some innovative creative type rider has already come up with a solution ;) and all I have to do is copy. I'm not that creative

I use my GPS for speed

My GPS obscures my speedomer quit a bit on my RT. But, I can read the speed quite well on it. Also, I can change it to read either in kmph or mph depending on where I am riding. It's a squarish Zumo 550, and the RAM arm can put it where the amount it obscures the Speedo can be minimal. One of the handlebar bolts was replaced to pass through a RAM ball. I used a real stainless bolt and not the aluminum one that came from RAM, just for peace of mind.

It's one solution for your problem, although you may prefer the optical route.

Let us all know your solution when you get it worked out.

Thanks for all the great suggestions

I'm behind a windshield and a face shield wearing prescription progressive transition glasses and it works.

This is so YMMV! I've worn progressive lenses for years, very happily. I tried them while riding, and, for me, it was just awful. The constant head movement, necessary to maintain focus, was a problem on the bike: I felt like my peripheral vision had become non-existant, and I began to feel nauseated as well. I went right back to bifocals in that environment, and they work very well for me. My riding glasses are heavily tinted; I avoid riding after dark.

Riders who wear glasses while riding can get stick-on "readers" to cope with presbyopia.

Last edited:
This is so YMMV! I've worn progressive lenses for years, very happily. I tried them while riding, and, for me, it was just awful. The constant head movement, necessary to maintain focus, was a problem on the bike: I felt like my peripheral vision had become non-existant, and I began to feel nauseated as well. I went right back to bifocals in that environment, and they work very well for me. My riding glasses are heavily tinted; I avoid riding after dark.

Riders who wear glasses while riding can get stick-on "readers" to cope with presbyopia.

Thanks for the suggestions

stick-on would be great if I could stick them on the instrument cluster.

I just would really like to shed the glasses. Having to wear them all day long just to read the instruments is annoying to me . It would be the same for contacts

Lasik or PRK?

Can work well, on several levels.

Thanks for the sugesstion
Lasik has also been recommended to me by my brother who had the surgery. It probably is the best option.
I'm too paranoid to risk having the procedure . I had one eye destroyed by a 12 penny nail .
Even though the risk is minimal it's still more than I feel comfortable with

Staples has sheet-type magnifiers

I recalled seeing a sheet-type magnifier at Staples, and just searched for magnifier. Credit card and letter size are available.

These are a form of Fresnel lens. A simple lens is thick, but if you cut circles around the centre, you can collapse the lens to make it flat.

From experience, there is some magnification when the magnifier is laid flat on a page. More power when held a bit off the page.

For about $4, you can get a credit card sized unit and try it out. If too small, get the page size and cut the size you need from the centre of the sheet,

I recalled seeing a sheet-type magnifier at Staples, and just searched for magnifier. Credit card and letter size are available.

These are a form of Fresnel lens. A simple lens is thick, but if you cut circles around the centre, you can collapse the lens to make it flat.

From experience, there is some magnification when the magnifier is laid flat on a page. More power when held a bit off the page.

For about $4, you can get a credit card sized unit and try it out. If too small, get the page size and cut the size you need from the centre of the sheet,

Good find.This is something that I have to check out . If I can eliminate glasses I will be very happy
Thanks

Back