• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Terminal strip-Terminal block????

1der

Putting my project bike, my Dad's 1990 R100RT back together. I would like to add a stand alone terminal block,strip (?) from the battery. Right now there are three ground wires and four positive wires. What I'm looking to do is have only two wires off the battery and the rest coming off the fused terminal block. Anyone know where I could find something like this? Is there anything like this for BMW's?

A quick search for "terminal blocks" easily turns up MANY suppliers on the internet. Even your friendly NAPA or Autozone carries a supply. Not familiar with a "BMW" product for this use; but this isn't the problem actually.

Where are you going to install this device?
How many circuits?
Do the circuits need to be fused?
How large T X W X L will it need to be vs where you can mount it.

The functionality of what you are trying to do is great; but you have several questions to answer before you actually go shopping........God bless........Dennis

Did a so-called "Quick Internet Search". Found nothing helpful that is why I posted. Four circuits, # 14,16,Gu., 2X4". Shouldn't be to hard to find some place to mount it. I think I did mentioned fused. Maybe this is to much to ask for a older BMW. My 2012 Honda GL1800 has no problem. I have several added circuits from a relay controlled board on the GL. All I was looking to do was add something to power my GPS, power outlet to charge cell phone etc..

One solution is a power distribution panel. One that I like is the Fuzeblock. Each circuit is fused and can be connected to content power or switched power.

I bought mine (large copper plate w/ terminal points) from a boat yard. Try a marine supply outfit.

I use a product from Powerlet called aptly "The Terminator". Basically an extension of the "+" & "-" terminals on your battery. I use it on my Ural Patrol and not my BMW. On that rig the battery is not that easy to get to but the real reason for the Terminator is that I just have too much of a stack of accessory wires going to the terminals (heated gear, Tender Pig-Tail, Extra 12V, etc.) yet not enough to justify a full blown fuse block. I know some folks just use a longer terminal bolt, I don't like that idea. This is a simple solution and in reality after buying and seeing it in the flesh it wouldn't be such a hard thing to fabricate yourself. However for what I consider cheap (I think it was around $49.00) Powerlet has packaged a complete Plug-and-Play product, all hardware and even tie-wraps. Also comes with a 20amp in-line water-proof fuse and holder. Takes about 20 minutes or less to install and you don't have to find a permanent spot for a fuse block.
A few months after installing it I found a better streamlined way to run the original accessory wires (Pre-Terminator).
Was able to just re-route Terminator and re-attach via tie-wraps. You could/can do this as many times as you want to so it's pretty flexible to use.
Bought from TPI or Arrowhead or Whitehorse Gear... one of the Dual-Sport vendors.

IMG_5412.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

Back