• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Touratech, or not to Touratech. That is the question.

Illiya

Hello All. I am about to purchase panniers for my 2014 GS BMW. I have pretty much decided on the Touratech system, due to what appears to be the high quality of it's components and accessories. Would those of you familiar with Touratech please give me your opinions? Thank you very much.

I'm a fan of the TT gear, just received a shipment last week. Be sure to get a catalog, they are very well done.
OM

Touratech

Most of the accessories on my bike are Touratech. I live near their Canadian Distributor which is convenient and liked their products but after a couple of years, if I had to replace them, I would likely not choose Touratech.

My Zega Pro panniers leak after two years of use and have never been dropped. I expected more. My TT crashbars look great, nice quality but the engineering is lacking. Two impossible little bolts sit behind the front shock and take forever to undue simply because they are bolts instead of threaded studs. They are a pain to remove and replace for doing valve adjustments and add way too much time to an otherwise simple task. Same goes for the skid plate, it takes more time to remove it than it does to do an oil change. All because of fiddley spacers, oddball fasteners and generally a lack of foresight for the end user who may need to do an change oil while on a trip.

Their long distance touring seat however is amazing but that is made by Kahedo. Don't mean to sound like I am bashing them, this is simply my honest opinion and experience with their products. YMMV.

I have had a very good experience with the luggage system and protection gear from Touratech. The Zega Pro panniers have been on my 13 GSW for a year now. No issues with leaks or rattles. They seem very durable and the anodized black finish looks like new. That finish looks great and resists scuffs from boots when getting off and on the bike. It's also nice to have the interior anodized so there is no aluminum rub-off or oxidation. Interior surfaces are in excellent shape after 12000 miles of riding. The engine bars and pannier racks are stainless tubing with a silver bead blasted plating. This finish has been resistant to wear and scuffs. One last thing, many of the wear parts for the panniers and top box are readily available as replacement parts should they be damaged. Yes, I am pleased with the quality and appearance of these parts. Every thing thus far has fit well without modifications and I find on the GSW engine guards are easily removed and replaced with four fasteners when doing valve service. The TT stuff is priced at a premium, but I feel I got value for my money.

Hello Omegaman, Soarhead, and Gr8ridn2. Thank you for your replies as I appreciate hearing your opinions and experiences. It just happens I placed my order earlier this morning for TT's pannier system and a few other parts. From your experience, Soarhead, I will consider making a hole in the skid plate where the oil drain plug is located. (Similar to the Altrider design.) I noticed TT's prices have increased within the past two weeks on some items much more than others. Safe riding to each of you.

I believe Touratech started with their original aluminum luggage which are rock solid. This goes back many years.

And they make some accessories that are tops like their luggage mounting kit...the kit with the plastic pucks which I used to mount my Daerr aluminum boxes on my Happy Trail mounts (top quality BTW) on my KLR 650.

But they also make bling for the poseurs. Another GSer and I were just talking about that last night. The aluminum TPS Sensor positioner cover that is supposed to protect it.

Pick your items.

I think Touratech makes quality stuff at a very premium price. That being said I believe Jesse Bags are the best made and most durable bags available for your bike. Rectangular bags with rectangular lids are susceptible to being deformed in even a small incident. Once this happens it can be difficult to make them waterproof again. Jesse recognizes the strength inherent in the immutable triangle. And, at a price that is certainly competitive with TT. If you want rectangular bags at a better price then check out Happy Trails. Good bang for the buck there, even if they are less refined then either the TTs or Jesses.

Tough to argue with Jesses if they make a set for your bike. I don't have a bike for which I'd consider them the best choice- no GS for example. But I admire their work- about as well built and installed as possible while keeping weight reasonable- way better than the TT stuff IMO- but not I'm not an actual user. Would be my automatic first pick if I had a bike for them -like if I ever buy a GS. (All of my bikes save one are road bikes and more than once I've wished Jesses were made for them)

I've got an 89 Transalp with a Happy Trails set- which is fine for that lighter and less expensive bike used mostly for around town and simple fire road duty. Not as sophisticated but very functional, available in 3 basic sizes, each in several widths. I use the mid size 9" wide set. No complaints but also not tested with a high speed drop.

Back