• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150rt Oil Leak

ayaple

SAY 1 Let's ride
I just had my 2004 rt starter motor replaced by a BMW dealer. After 200 miles oil is leaking from the area of the new starter
dripping on the side stand and blowing back on the catalytic converter as I ride. Is there a gasket that could have failed. The bike never leaked a drop before.
Any Ideas before I send it back to the dealer

Hmmmm, no replies yet so I will chime in. I don't know what WOULD be leaking oil from that area but I would consider things other than the starter motor installation. I've removed the starter motor in my 2002 RT twice and there are no gaskets or oil involved. In fact, as far as I can tell you should be able to run the bike with the starter motor removed and not have oil leakage. With the starter motor removed you can see the flywheel but nothing that should have oil on it.

I'm not sure what would cause an oil leak from that location and I supposed it's possible your dealer disturbed something else when they did the maintenance. Are you having clutch issues at all? My bike had a slave cylinder failure and that leaked clutch fluid onto the clutch friction surfaces. Maybe that is the source of the leak?

Please let us know when you figured out what is going on and good luck!

We need pictures, there is no oil behind starter motor.

Use engine degreeser to clean off all oil, then run the bike to pin point the leak.

I just had my 2004 rt starter motor replaced by a BMW dealer. After 200 miles oil is leaking from the area of the new starter
dripping on the side stand and blowing back on the catalytic converter as I ride. Is there a gasket that could have failed. The bike never leaked a drop before.
Any Ideas before I send it back to the dealer

The oil pressure sender is in that general area. It's possible the sender got hit and is now leaking. If that's what it is the dealer will likely say that it's coincidental that the sender is leaking. The sender is not expensive and can easily be replaced, but I would first check to see if that where the leak is and then bring it back to the dealer and ask them to fix what got disturbed when they were working on your bike.

I'm gonna go with the crappy oil pressure sender.

I just changed my second oil pressure sensor in two years. I replaced the original with OE and it started leaking so I've gone aftermarket. It's a horrible chore to find the leak with the tupperware on and the damn thing makes your bike look like the Valdez after a good boo.

Thats my vote to, ive changed about 3 or 4 of the sencors out on the ole guzzi. cant remember if they wer magnetti or bosch but never the less they wer leaky. the reason i mention airbox plug is that just recently(while on the road) my buddy changed out a faulty starter on his 03 1150 and while doing so he knocked out his airbox plug, after the oil was cleaned up the first time no more evidence of any more leak. he still cant find that plug and we have another 5k ta go. :dance

Thanks for all your input. I called my dealer and they said it must be somthing they did a with less than 300 miles since they did the work. They are sending a truck to pick up the bike (200 miles each way). I will let you know how things turn out. It may be a couple of weeks turn around, Good thing my wife's R1100rt is in good running order.

Great to hear the dealer's thoughts, it may not be their fault in the end. Coincidences do happen but..... It is a shame to think the bike will be out of use for that long. So often we read that dealers are "not responsible" and unresponsive so a post that shows they can be (and in my experience always have been) reasonable is good to hear. I use them after I have tried my damnedest with the help here, to fix it, but when that fails.....

Follow up on oil leak

The valve tensioner was replaced at the same time as the starter motor and that was the problem. My BMW dealer did pick up the bike and fixed the problem no charge. I didn't want to wait a few more days for them to transport the bike back, so my wife drove me up and I had a great ride back from the Albany , Troy area.

Back