• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MPG on Your Hack?

Just curious what kind of mpg folks get with their hacks and how fast they're traveling. With my '85 KRS, running 60 to 70 all day, I'm at 37 mpg. How are other folks doing?

30 plus or minus puttering around town with a silly grin on my 2012 Ural Gear-Up.

86K100RS w/ EML GT2

About 32 to 38 depending on how fast I'm riding, how much crap I'm carrying, and whether I have the windscreen attached. My Prius gets much better mileage but isn't as much fun.

We always travel grossly overloaded and running 75-80 mph. 32mpg with no wind, 28-30 with wind and especially a quartering headwind. We didn't build it for fuel mileage, but for FUN mileage. :)

Best,

DG

I'm in the ~30mpg camp, '83 R100RT. Less in the Winter but never below 27mpg even with temperatures of -20F. On the highway in the Summer, ~33mpg @ 60mph.

I don't don't do it for the mpg, but the mpg does not hurt. I get to do it longer.

Mid 30s +- depending fuel source. And I do it for every reason I can think of. Including fuel and fun. :D

2002 R1200C w/ Ural... Gross wet weight @ 880 lbs...

Are you sure about the weight figure?

I'm not saying that you are wrong... i'm just surprised.

Last year, I changed the rear shock on the R1150R/EZS rig. And in order to get the right spring, i had to have it weighed.... so i took it to the local dump! :scratch (Yup, they have a scale that is accurate to within two lbs.)

Anyway, the rig (wet weight) weighed in at 1058 lbs! I was shocked! :hungover

Mid 30s +- depending fuel source. And I do it for every reason I can think of. Including fuel and fun. :D

2002 R1200C w/ Ural... Gross wet weight @ 880 lbs...

I fully admit I'm twisty with the right grip. I could get much better mileage if I stayed below 55.

24-26 when I had a 17" sports car tire on the stock wheel. I switched to an R1200CLC wheel and put a higher-profile 15" tire on it, my mileage went up 8-10 mpg easy, more if I'm light on the throttle.

What kind of milage?

Checked today and got 27.5 mpg with my 99 R1100RT w/EZS sidecar. That's a combination of city/hiway, cruising at 60 to 65 mph. Who ever said it is totally right. I ride for the fun and enjoyment, not the milage.:)

Tally for this weeks combo of in town/highway = 32...

10295232_10152465617454810_6916761275701035975_o.jpg

10287006_10152465617409810_2709590097294430063_o.jpg

27 mpg is almost half of my high 40's or 50's. The weight of the machine, and the pull of the weight controls it.

My CR-Z car weighs 2500 lbs, and being a hybrid gets 32-35 summer (AC) and 35-37 winter. It holds 10.2 gallons and go at least two weeks of commuting.

Good week for riding in the NW. Put on a little over 400 miles on the EML, on Tuesday. A couple hundred more on the oilhead RS yesterday. Cleaning off the bugs today.:wave

I get in the low to mid 30s in local riding on a mix of dirt and paved roads. It drops on long trips as my speed increases, and the ragtop I had built to keep Barley out of the sun added a lot of sail area; fuel economy really suffers at higher speeds. Mid-20s at 65-70mph. But enhancing Barley's comfort level is worth every gallon.

My worst mileage ever was 18mpg crossing high desert in Montana at 85-90mph into a headwind on a slight incline. I really appreciated the fuel capacity of the GSA on that trip!

Back