Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on Comm system...

Need guidance on Comm system...

In the process of buying a 2014 RT. What do you recommend for the comm system? I will use it for music, Nav 5, and talking with passenger/wife. I have an Arai open-face, and a Shoei Neotech flip-front. I probably won't need to communicate with other bikes.

BMW, Sena (10 or 20), or other?

Thanks.

No one??

My entire riding group has sena 10. No complaints.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

20 is overkill for your purpose, IMHO
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

My wife and I have the BMW Communicators on our Schuberth's and use them with our K1600 GTL. They work well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephen
    2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
    Los Angeles, CA
    USMC Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen0313 View Post
    My wife and I have the BMW Communicators on our Schuberth's and use them with our K1600 GTL. They work well for us.

PS recently added a Sena SR10 for bike to bike comms.

Stephen
    2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
    Los Angeles, CA
    USMC Veteran

I think Sena is the best you can do at the moment. The SMH10s are pretty cheap too with the 20s coming out.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

I have a Scala Q9X, it has 2 BT Channels plus has a music sharing feature that if you buy a second unit, they come in pre paired set, your Passenger can listen to the same bike audio that you have selected. Works great have never used any other brand but Scala. Just happen to be the first headset I tried starting with Q2, Q4 then Q9X and they all worked as advertised.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

I have the Sena SMH10 and I am not at all satisfied with it. Coming from a wired J&M setup, the Sena's VOX is far inferior, voice quality is inferior, music quality is about the same but the crappy VOX triggers all the time from wind noise and so you never get to listen to music anyways.

Cannot recommend it.

YMMV.
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

I came from a wired chatterbox setup and Sena has performed very well. I can't speak to VOX, I have never found it useful on any setup. I make phone calls all the time on my Sena and no one even knows I am on the bike. Bike to bike very good. Directions from my gps are clear, and music works as expected. Battery life is good. On long trips my group typically opens a conference and leaves it on all day. Battery good for about 2 days.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Thank you everyone, for your comments! Will the BMW comm units work on any helmet, or do you have to get the Schubert?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpaul View Post
    Thank you everyone, for your comments! Will the BMW comm units work on any helmet, or do you have to get the Schubert?
    I think the BMW BT comm system is custom made for the Schuberth helmet so the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    I came from a wired chatterbox setup and Sena has performed very well. I can't speak to VOX, I have never found it useful on any setup. I make phone calls all the time on my Sena and no one even knows I am on the bike. Bike to bike very good. Directions from my gps are clear, and music works as expected. Battery life is good. On long trips my group typically opens a conference and leaves it on all day. Battery good for about 2 days.
    That might work well for rider to rider. But IMO VOX is essential for rider-passenger intercom. I find it extremely annoying to have to hit the intercom button every time you want to say something to your passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    That might work well for rider to rider. But IMO VOX is essential for rider-passenger intercom. I find it extremely annoying to have to hit the intercom button every time you want to say something to your passenger.
    Not sure how you had it set up, but the Sena works in full duplex just like a telephone conversation. There is no need to press an intercom button or to have "VOX" activate the mic for you. It's just on when you're connected to another one (be it your passenger or another rider). I haven't used the Sena with more than one other person, but it's been absolutely fantastic when I have. I use it daily for commuting to listen to music and answer phone calls. I can even send text messages by dictating to Siri with it.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    I have the Sena SMH10 and I am not at all satisfied with it. Coming from a wired J&M setup, the Sena's VOX is far inferior, voice quality is inferior, music quality is about the same but the crappy VOX triggers all the time from wind noise and so you never get to listen to music anyways.

Cannot recommend it.

YMMV.

You can turn the VOX off. But, I agree, the VOX should work, and work well. Other than that, I have no complaints with my Sena SMH10.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005