• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires-R27

J

James.A

I recently changed tires on my R27. Some DPO had a 4.00-18 on the rear. It had rub marks from being too big, and both tires were weather checked. I fitted a modern 3.25-18 Continental on the front and a NOS 3.50-18 Continental on the rear. I realize that the rear is still over-sized compared to OEM specs, but the end result is that the transmission is less troublesome and the bike handles so much better. Why? Would a 3.25-18 on the rear make a marked improvement?

I'm not sure "New-old Stock" is something I'd want to use in a tire. :dunno
Tires get hard with age and unless you're talking about a bike you want to put on a stand and admire, I'd suggest new rubber.
Then again, if you used the term to describe some new "vintage styled" tires, nevermind.
As for your question, I would quess there might be a small improvement with a 3.25. But you might have a hard time finding one. I just went through that with my /5. Closest I could find was a 3.50 Michelin Mac 50.
But I experienced the same thing as my brother had fitted a 4.00 when it was all he could find on a trip when his rear tire shot craps.

I had the same experience when I went back to a 3.50x18 from a 4.00x18 rear on my R60/2. The bike is much more sprightly, even though mathematically there shouldn't be a great deal of difference. Even so, I can use 4th gear in a lot more situations where previously I'd have had to shift down into 3rd...

Back