• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200R - Leaking Fuel

fastdogs2

Where does the fuel leak show itself with the fuel pump/flange problem?

I went for a ride today and fueled up during the ride. I rode about 25 miles from the gas station to my home and parked the bike on the side stand. When I walked over to the left hand side of the bike, I noticed a puddle of fuel on the garage floor. The puddle was just to the rear of the side stand and I could see the fuel dripping out onto the floor from somewhere up above, but could not pinpoint an exact location.

I placed the bike on the center stand and the leak subsided to an occasional drip that deposited just to the rear of the left side center stand foot.

Since the garage was reeking of gasoline and I have a gas hot water heater in there, I thought it wise to park the bike outside to avoid any fire hazard.

My question is: Is this type of leak symptomatic of the potential fuel pump/flange defect? I received the recall letter, but will need to wait until Tuesday to call the dealer.

Anyone else experienced this fuel leak?

Bill

It sounds as if you may have overfilled the tank; at least it is behaving as mine did when I over filled it once. As the fuel warmed and pressure in the tank rose, fuel was pushed out of the vent hose, thru the charcoal canister (assuming you have not removed it) and out the next vent hose to the ground. Check to see if the vent hose ends in spot where it could have resulted in the spot you saw.

I have not seen a bike leaking fuel from one of the fuel pump connections, but I am under the impression that on the R12R the fuel runs down further forward.

Fuel leak

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

The bike has been outside the garage all night and I can see no more evidence of a fuel leak on the driveway concrete.

Perhaps I did overfill it in my enthusiasm at finding a Shell station that dispenses no Ethanol fuel.

I will ride it again today to check if there is any more leaking.

I really don't want to keep the bike outside the garage, since we are at the height of our pine pollen bloom here in North Carolina. If you have never seen it, you would not believe how much pollen those trees put off. When you ride through a tree lined street, the pollen is so dense, it looks like fog. It deposits on everything, leaving a greenish/yellow film. Not good to have a black car at this time of year. When it rains, the gutters look like someone urinated in the street.

Bill

Man, I overfilled my tank very recently. Worst part was...(yes I often do things without thinking of the consequences)... I had set my helmet under the bike when I went to get a coffee. Gas was soaked into the foam liner. That made for an unpleasant 90 minute ride home. Oh well, I needed a new helmet anyway (just glad I didn't do that with my new helmet!)

BH

It sounds as if you may have overfilled the tank; at least it is behaving as mine did when I over filled it once. As the fuel warmed and pressure in the tank rose, fuel was pushed out of the vent hose, thru the charcoal canister (assuming you have not removed it) and out the next vent hose to the ground. Check to see if the vent hose ends in spot where it could have resulted in the spot you saw.

Happened to me this morning ... overfilled the tank (as I usually do) but then stopped at my Dads for some coffee instead of heading out for the day. On the sidestand and in the sun ... a few hours later there's a spot right under the vent tube (on my '11 its attached right near the sidestand).

Funny part was - we went out the driveway and we both saw the spot and without missing a beat he says " Huh ... somebody must have parked a Harley in your spot while we were inside." :D [He used to have Harleys]

So yes ... likely just some venting.

Fuel leak must have been venting

I took the bike on about a 85 mile ride today. I parked it outside the garage on the sidestand, waited and fortunately there is no more evidence of a fuel leak, so it must have been venting as you guys have all diagnosed correctly.

Will call the dealer tomorrow to check on the availability of the fuel pump/flange recall parts.

Bill

Back