• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TPMS sensor installation?

GTRider
Installing a tpms sensor in a spare rear wheel. Should the sensor body extend toward the front or the rear of the bike once the wheel is mounted? Or does it not matter?

Thx

DG

Ten days and no other replies...I don't recall which direction mine were when I changed tires on the K13S, but I don't see how it would matter. Centripital forces will throw it to the rim, but I don't see there would be much shear either in acceleration or deceleration, or not enough for it to matter which direction the mass was...and you have likely already gone one way or the other, right?

My recollection from other threads, and this may be incorrect, is that the sender has to be recognized by the receiver and that that takes setting by the dealer.

Ten days and no other replies...I don't recall which direction mine were when I changed tires on the K13S, but I don't see how it would matter. Centripital forces will throw it to the rim, but I don't see there would be much shear either in acceleration or deceleration, or not enough for it to matter which direction the mass was...and you have likely already gone one way or the other, right?

My recollection from other threads, and this may be incorrect, is that the sender has to be recognized by the receiver and that that takes setting by the dealer.

Thanks, pretty much that was my assumption. There is a picture in the service CD, but no annotation as to whether or not the direction matters. Time will tell...

And yes, the onboard brain needs to be told to recognize the new sensor, or more correctly the new "set" of sensors--which in my case is a different rear sensor coupled with the same front sensor.

Best,

DG

And yes, the onboard brain needs to be told to recognize the new sensor, or more correctly the new "set" of sensors--which in my case is a different rear sensor coupled with the same front sensor.

Will the CPU remember more than one set of wheels, so that when you change wheels back and forth (as a set) it is good to go? Or will it just remember one set at a time?

It can also be done with a GS911.

Will the CPU remember more than one set of wheels, so that when you change wheels back and forth (as a set) it is good to go? Or will it just remember one set at a time?

Yes, it will remember two sets of wheels. After a wheel swap it takes a quarter-mile or so before it registers both of the sensors, but no issues. In my case, it is only the rear wheel being swapped in/out so it just considers the front wheel as part of both sets.

Best,

DG

Back