• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200RT Horn Button Fail,Need Help!

rthump

dchumphrey
I'm looking for some insight on trying to solve the issue of my horn switch fail. First to note I do have an aftermarket horn (Air Cannon bought from Aerostich) I have checked the relay, fuse and I even hot wired the horn to be sure it worked and it does. I also checked the wiring with a volt meter to make sure I had juice to the horn. The only thing I can think of at this point is the switch. Has anyone else had a switch failure and if so was the whole switch replaced or do you know of a way to open the switch housing and check something (connections) in there? Thank you in advance for your input!
Dave 715-581-1263

Unfortunately, lots of reported switch failures on the 10-13 RTs. I had my cruise switch fail at about 1000 miles and had the whole left hand switch block replaced, under warranty. I believe BMW updated the switches as a result of the failures. Check with your dealer and if you're under warranty still, you should get the block replaced with the updated hardware.

The above is correct. Majorly bad switch gear on these bikes. I got a 2010 also and had the LH switch gang replaced about 5 times. Now my RH switch is bad.

I don't know how BMW avoided a recall on these bikes. My dealer is far away so even under warranty it's still a PITA.

tsp
My MC Blog:
http://www.airheadmoto.com

Well I have a small update. I purchased a GS911 scan tool because I also got the dreaded "Brake Failure" light the other day and wanted to pull the codes to see what is up. So after I scanned I found a fault code for the horn (41739) Horn malfunction, open circuit. Now my thoughts are this is in the switch so I'm going to try and open it up and check it out! I guess if I wreck it I would have to buy a new one anyone for why not mess with it. As far as the brakes looks like the speed sensor has an issue, multiple codes here (24052,23954,23952) First one is an electrical under voltage code, I know I need a new battery. The other are front wheel speed sensor. I will update after I get done with some research.

I got the brake failure light too. Front speed sensor wires were rubbed bare. Re-wrapped and re-routed them and problem was resolved.

Don, I found I had a speed sensor cable that was rubbing on the rotor as well. Took your advice and cleared the code and rode, no light! So, that issue is solved now I just need to fix the horn. I haven't pulled the switch gear apart yet but that is next.

Back