• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tall Seat option on 2014 RT

ldhardy12

Utah 12 - what a road!
I am 6'2" and having got about 1000 miles on my new RT and was wondering about anyone having the tall seat option on their RT.

My tall seat won't be until the end of April and the standard seat really does cramp things up after an hour or so and I was hoping to hear if the tall seat is the 'fix' for the seat position.

I would love to get an inch or two more stretch to the pegs.
Thanks

Have you put this kit on your RT yet?
How much effect does lowering the pegs change your cornering limits?

Thanks!

Lower pegs did not affect my cornering, I can drag a toe if I am not on the balls of my feet in twisties.

Ditto on the toes draging. Just pull your feet back in sharp turns. Lowering kit give a more relaxed riding position.

Thanks for the great input.

I got an e-mail from Suburban letting me know which kit to use.

I will see how the high seat works first and then try the lowering kit should the seat not work well enough.

FWIW I had my Corbin made 1" higher than stock, but I ride it in the lowest position, higher seat meant shorter arms and windshield. So the higher seat just cancels the bar risers and tall windshield. Of all those mods the last I would give up is lower pegs. Just my opinion.

I will also try the lowered pegs. It sure seems like the 2014 'scrunched' things up in the bar-seat-peg relationship

FWIW I had my Corbin made 1" higher than stock, but I ride it in the lowest position, higher seat meant shorter arms and windshield. So the higher seat just cancels the bar risers and tall windshield. Of all those mods the last I would give up is lower pegs. Just my opinion.

I added risers and peg lowering kit on my RT, so the seat in the high position works. On the new RT, the bars can't be raised, so it's a little tougher to get it right.

I did notice that bar risers are going to be tough on the new RT. Epic fail in design. I am sure someone will figure something out, but it will look strange.

barbacks

I did notice that bar risers are going to be tough on the new RT. Epic fail in design. I am sure someone will figure something out, but it will look strange.
I talked with John at Ilium Works. He has a new RT and is scratching his head over how to do the handlebars. He does have some products in the pipe line for other applications.

Changes...all good?

I guess it isn't just motorcycles, but BMW certainly promotes in every direction...whatever fits their need. Use to be shaft drive was the only way to go. How BMW would rant against chains. Now chains are okay and even belts are great. Of course I don't remember seeing any BMW ad use a shaft vs. chain vs. belt line to sell their products. In 1994 the key marketing word became "adjustable"...seats, handlebars, shift levers, windshields and on. Now appears they're going the other way, handlebars don't and now are more difficult for aftermarket to address.

I guess it isn't just motorcycles, but BMW certainly promotes in every direction...whatever fits their need. Use to be shaft drive was the only way to go. How BMW would rant against chains. Now chains are okay and even belts are great. Of course I don't remember seeing any BMW ad use a shaft vs. chain vs. belt line to sell their products. In 1994 the key marketing word became "adjustable"...seats, handlebars, shift levers, windshields and on. Now appears they're going the other way, handlebars don't and now are more difficult for aftermarket to address.

I have given some thought to this latest move by BMW with one piece steering head ... Is it a design feature to address the handling characteristics of the RTW therefore a necessary function of the design. Or could it be an intentional effort to restrict aftermarket product because of the cost of R&D plus potential liability issues.

Im pretty it will require lots of engineering data / time / development funds to come up will an adjustable solution. Or maybe the intended complication is the precursor to Motoradd attempting to capture a bigger share of the aftermarket customization market. If we see handlebars options coming out Germany in the next 6 to 12 months we can answer this quickly.

Whatever the case I will be a customer as soon as a solution become available.

I am looking forward to the new seat. It is about all I can do until the aftermarket can take a look at the bike.
Having said that, this is one VERY enjoyable motorcycle. Here's hoping that small changes can make big differences in the comfort factor.

I have given some thought to this latest move by BMW with one piece steering head ... Is it a design feature to address the handling characteristics of the RTW therefore a necessary function of the design. Or could it be an intentional effort to restrict aftermarket product because of the cost of R&D plus potential liability issues.

Im pretty it will require lots of engineering data / time / development funds to come up will an adjustable solution. Or maybe the intended complication is the precursor to Motoradd attempting to capture a bigger share of the aftermarket customization market. If we see handlebars options coming out Germany in the next 6 to 12 months we can answer this quickly.

Whatever the case I will be a customer as soon as a solution become available.

If BMW was going to have different bars, we would have seen it already. We haven't and we didn't see it with the K1600 bikes either. More than likely they wanted to maintain a certain look. It's an epic fail to me.

If BMW was going to have different bars, we would have seen it already. We haven't and we didn't see it with the K1600 bikes either. More than likely they wanted to maintain a certain look. It's an epic fail to me.

Heli Bars has them for the K1600's...I think price is somewhere in $600.00 - $700.00 range.

Ouch! What was $100 and required one wrench in your garage is turning into a $1000 add on at the dealer. I agree, epic fail. I was going to get the new RT next year, as I never buy anything BMW makes in the first year, but this is a show stopper for me. At 6'6". I just can't get comfortable at the stock geometry.

Heli Bars has them for the K1600's...I think price is somewhere in $600.00 - $700.00 range.

I know Heli makes them, but BMW doesn't make accessory bars for the k1600. I imagine Heli will make bars for the RTW eventually. I emailed them in february and they said they hadn't seen a RTW yet.

Back