• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

95 K75S ABS - Confirmation of Tire Size

drneo66

The date codes on my tires are so old that Prince was still singing about 1999... so it's time for some new skins.

I have been searching on several forums but have yet to find a definitive answer about my K75S as it seems the "S" model is often just a bit different. I have seen where people talk about their K75s (as in they own several), but before I go and spend several hundred dollars, I wanted to ask you friendly folks.

I've had very good luck with a Metzeler Lasertech front tire and an 880 rear. On my last bike, a Honda Gl500 Silverwing, I had a pair last 18,000mi before cords were showing. I mostly ride solo for longer distances at reasonable speeds, so I want something that will last a long time.

It seems the original sizes for my 3 spoke rims are:
Front - 100/90 - 18
Back - 130/90 - 17

I'm looking at installing:
Front - 100/90 - 18
Back - 140/80 - 17 (since Metz. doesn't make an 880 in the correct size)

Both will be bias ply since that's what the bike was designed for. Am I on the right track?

~Thom

One of the K100RS's (about 1988 I think) came with 110/80-18 front and a 140/80-17 rear. I have used a 140/80-17 on the rear of my 86 K100RS and there was a spacer (BMW part) that went between the wheel and the hub to give a bit more space to the monolever. It can get pretty close for clearance depending on the tire (not all 140's are the same) and my experience was that after riding a few hundred miles the tire widened out a bit and got very close to the monolever. It did work and I used the tire for it's full life but I found that there was no performance advantage that I could see so I went back to the 130.

I have run at least a half dozen 880s in size 140/80-17 instead of 130/90-17 with no noticed ill effects whatsoever. This is on a K75S, K75 standard, and K75RTP. The K1100LT bikes had an identical rear wheel to the K75S and came with the 140/80-17 size stock.

For reference: The drum brake K75C and K75T bikes had an 18 inch rear wheel
All disk brake K75 standard, K75/3, K75RT and K75S bikes had a 17 inch rear wheel.

Back