• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How long can oil stay in the bike?

It would be helpful to consider all the things that impact proper oil change intervals but if you do low miles in typical riding, major grit problems won't be one nor will severe heat (and as practical matter you'd be hard pressed to get a running BMW motor to fry a modern synthetic.)

For the low miles rider the usual issues are combustion acids and/or water accumulation.

The reality of modern oil chemistry, especially for long service synthetics with high base numbers, is that they are capable of handling water and acid loads that are ridiculously extreme by the stds of 20 yrs ago. Significantly damaging the viscosity index of modern synthetics in a BMW bike motor in low miles is pretty near impossible.What is in contact with or submerged in oil will not be damaged in silly long storage intervals.

What is of more concern is what is not in the oil- anything above the wet sump line that can be exposed to residual moisture trapped in foamed oil or to water vapor vented in, especially for machines seeing wide temp changes in humid climates. Still, even that is no reason to get all twitchy and nervous.

Anytime you do an oil change it should be done after the motor is brought to full operating temp for a while and while the oil is hot.
Not much point to changing oil on a cold motor- you won't do anything to clear that headspace above the oil and you surely won't get the max of old oil out.

My "practical. real world" answer for most is you can easily go a couple years IF the bike gets to full temp for a while when used and your miles stay moderate. (Oil analysis by most suggests at least 8K is very reasonable on R motors, for example, and that's by very conservative criteria. Your bike won't instantly destruct even if you go well outside them.)

What do I do for myself? Generally 7-8K or annual change, whichever comes first but if that "annual" is 18 mths for a bike getting low miles I don't worry about it at all. I'd be a lot more worried about brake fluid exposed to air in some of BMWs whizzie systems.

I've seen oil failures aplenty- but not in any recent time. Some of the old multi viscosity dino oils were crap and turned to glue if they got a bit too hot due to additive failures - easy to do in hard used motors.

Abusing lots of turbo motors with high boost in humid conditions has given me plenty of opportunities to examine oil when motors are literally trying shear it to death and to force water into it at the same time - despite that I've never seen any engine damage attributable to water in oil or to shear damage.

What I have seen is stressed motors operating with low viscosity oils that provided inadequate wear contact shave so much metal that they lost compression in starting conditions and got very hard to start. Even then, once started and warmed, they cranked out close to their previous max power. I had one motor so gouged it looked like gremlins had been carvings its guts with chisels but it still made plenty of power. It got rebuilt mostly because it was a real pita to get started.

Its separated water or excess acids that can do the damage in low miles conditions but actually running into real damage is extremely unlikely. Its nowhere near as easy to damage motor metal in the presence of modern oils as some think.

I bought a bike on ebay that was in Atlanta, K100RS. .I hitched a ride to get it. Inflated the old cracked tires, put a new battery in it and rode it home to Wilmington, NC. I did a complete service after I got home. No damage.

Russian Roulette risks eventually catches up to you.

Jerry's K100RS turned out to be a sweet find that looks sharp and is in sold running condition that last time I saw it. Not generally a fan of that vintage myself but that one would tempt me.
A few oxidation cracks on the outside of tire don't necessarily make it unsafe for a bit of normal use (like to ride home) though they're surely a sign that its time to buy a replacement rather than ride it into rubber dust. Just better be careful and know what you're doing when inspecting/deciding re the risk.

There is ideal and then there is practical- like where will I get a couple new tires bought and installed this weekend before riding this purchase home?

We all have a right to our own opinion, no matter how ill-informed. On an air cooled engine, it's even more important to keep fresh oil in the engine. It's my bike, time money...etc.

You can leave that nasty old oil in your bike as long as you like, ignorance is bliss.

We all have a right to our own opinion, no matter how ill-informed. On an air cooled engine, it's even more important to keep fresh oil in the engine. It's my bike, time money...etc.

You can leave that nasty old oil in your bike as long as you like, ignorance is bliss.

yup. you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

feel free to enjoy your blissful existence. :)

A few oxidation cracks on the outside of tire don't necessarily make it unsafe for a bit of normal use (like to ride home) though they're surely a sign that its time to buy a replacement rather than ride it into rubber dust. Just better be careful and know what you're doing when inspecting/deciding re the risk.

There is ideal and then there is practical- like where will I get a couple new tires bought and installed this weekend before riding this purchase home?

If only one could be 100% sure if they were only oxidation cracks. You can't see absolutely everything and you can't see depth. Old is old. This isn't buying it from across town and riding home at 35MPH. There's nothing "practical" about riding long distance on bad tires. Especially on a vehicle that only has two, and needs both to keep the rider alive. You make it sound like you have a real choice. You don't. Unsafe is unsafe. You either trailer it or have it delivered or make a foolish choice to tempt Fate.

Playying the odds

Russian Roulette risks eventually catches up to you.

I wish I could say that running on cracked tires was the most dangerous thing I had ever done on a motorcycle.

Hill climbing on car tires on an old Harley that was known to detonate at the higher stresses that racing put on them..check

Motocross in work boots, jeans, t-shirt and an old Bell open face...check

Finding out where the police hide and blowing by them at insane speeds with no lights or tags...check

Drag racing on a Harley that could barely run a straight line...check

Cross country and trials events on a Bultaco that threatened to throw me off every time it hit 4000 RPM...check

Turning off the Blue Ridge Parkway and cutting through woods and fields to get away from the Federal cops...check

The list is much longer, but at my age, I figure I have beaten the odds so many times that it really does not matter.

Forgot to mention...keeping up with Paul on a long ride into Georgia...check.

Back