• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery R1200RT

bob5025

It looks like I may need a new battery. I've heard very good things about Odyssey and from what I can see the model that fits the 2009 R1200RT is PC680. Can't find a dealer in the Toronto area, but I have found a shop in Saskatchewan that ships for free.

What do you think of the Odyssey and is this model the right one? All opinions are appreciated.

Bob

It looks like I may need a new battery. I've heard very good things about Odyssey and from what I can see the model that fits the 2009 R1200RT is PC680. Can't find a dealer in the Toronto area, but I have found a shop in Saskatchewan that ships for free.

What do you think of the Odyssey and is this model the right one? All opinions are appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome to the MOA Forum. Since your bike is a 1200 you'll have more luck posting over in the Hexheads Forum as this one is for Oilheads and does not include your model.

Lots of people use the Odyssey battery and they perform really well. In the oilhead however the alternator charging output voltage is not high enough for the Odyssey and you need to keep them topped up using an Odyssey recommended charger. I believe on the 1200 though the charging voltage is higher and they work quite well from what I have heard. If you decide to go that way this place in Florida has very good prices.
http://sepbatteries.com/pc680-odyssey-battery?gclid=CInczJWW16wCFdIAQAodtmYK7A

Odyssey PC 680 Battery

The Odyssey PC 680 works great. I put one in my 2009 R1200RT last year and it is a solid battery at a reasonable price. The battery is not as
tall as the OEM BMW battery, but with a minor modification you can get it to fit securely. I did a search of this forum and found installation instructions that recommended cutting two small pieces of 1/2" rubber hose and putting them on either side of the battery on the top to fill in the gap so that the battery clamp would hold your battery in place securely. Works great. Good luck with your new battery, may it give you many miles..

The Odyssey PC 680 works great. I put one in my 2009 R1200RT last year and it is a solid battery at a reasonable price. The battery is not as
tall as the OEM BMW battery, but with a minor modification you can get it to fit securely. I did a search of this forum and found installation instructions that recommended cutting two small pieces of 1/2" rubber hose and putting them on either side of the battery on the top to fill in the gap so that the battery clamp would hold your battery in place securely. Works great. Good luck with your new battery, may it give you many miles..

+1... did the same thing in my '09!

Excellent results!

I use UB1220 batteries in my '05 RT. I pay about $52 for them and they fit and work fine.

Bob

I had good luck ordering from Saskatchewan and I recall the all-in price better than anything I could do in Alberta. Been running that battery in my 08RT for three seasons so far.

Back