• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 K75S, tight valve.

Biker,

Ready for this?

The shim, special order, "engine down rush", ten days to supply, $52.00.

This dealer knows he is the only game in town.

The outrageous part is not that he doesn't stock it. It's that he wants to charge $52 for a part that LISTS for $6.19!:mad

:dance:dance:dance

I mean no disrepect, but you are talking from an American point of view.

The reality on Canada is we are different, all the way from warranty to parts inventories. A dealer is not required to sell anything for any vehicle older than ten years here nor is he obligated to fix it.

It doesn't matter if we are talking four wheels or two, every manufacturer sets up their networks to be autonomous to the rest of the planet.

The best example I can give you are BMW Motorcycles. Every bike imported into the US is automatically compliant in Canada. Bikes imported just for Canada are not necessarily compliant in the US. A very specific example are the turn signal lenses. They are DIN approved, acceptable here, but do not have DOT approvals.

I am painting with broad brush with that example.

BMW Motorad Canada has nothing to do with it's US counterpart and nothing to do with the automobiles. The same applies with Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Harley Davidson. The only manufacturer that crosses borders is Suzuki.

For a broader stroke to my comments, the US has the "Right to Repair Act" (I think that is what it's called there) and we don't have anything similar. In short, manufacturers aren't obligated to share any information about what they build, right down to the type of oil used. It's dealer proprietary.

We are bigger and we are on top but sometimes I think we are that neighbour that sits on his front lawn picking his nose with his fly undone yelling, "Hey, you be a Hoser, Eh."

OK, but since you know or can calculate what size shim you want why not call a U.S. dealership and have them send one up to you?

Side Note: Back in 1986 I bought the factory/dealer box of shims plus the tools for $119. Still have the same number of shims - 50 or so I'm guessing - just a few different sizes since I've swapped several.

For sure there are alternatives for me.

OK, but since you know or can calculate what size shim you want why not call a U.S. dealership and have them send one up to you?

Side Note: Back in 1986 I bought the factory/dealer box of shims plus the tools for $119. Still have the same number of shims - 50 or so I'm guessing - just a few different sizes since I've swapped several.

We got way off track on this one and for sure, I use the US side as much as possible. The only trouble I have is on the Canadian side. The issue of "sending it in the mail" is, hang on to this story; If I buy it from the any of the good guys in the Minneapolis area, it will go to Halifax to be sorted to me. In fact, If I order it from my favorite dealer in Montreal, it will go to Halifax to be sorted.

What I do is I have it sent to a little, very quaint place with super nice people in Pembina, ND. It's an hour drive/ride one way, cross the US, ten more minutes, drive back to the Canadian Border.

Then, at the border, declare everything and if I need to, declare the stink from my truck is because I might be a bit "gassy". Thirty minutes getting back into my own country at a very minimum. That's still faster and cheaper than having something mailed to me from the US.

Back to the original topic for a second, thank you all for making me feel less paranoid.

NO WAY......Really, We would come down and show yooze how to play HOCKEY!!

Ah! Pembina, Emerson. Memories from my youth! I was raised in Grand Forks. :)

I love GF, try to get there about every two months or so. People are so cool, almost Canadian like.

We went down in 1998 and dropped a bunch of machines for the flood fight. Tough folks and always full of laughter and good will, even while the buildings were burning, almost Canadian like.

They have a stripper bar now.................................................

Alternative to BMW valve shim

Just checked and adjusted the valves on my 1990 K75rt.I used a valve shim from a Kawasaki KLR 650 on intake side,it is identical to the BMW shim.The shims are 27mm and worked great.I own both of these models of motorcycles and was amazed that the parts would interchange.I used the Polepenhollow BMW K valve shim tool from Kenneth Lively to remove the shim from the bucket.BTW my KLR is a 1999.

Back