• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The GS Giant 2014 - It's kind of a BIG deal!

Visian

look out!!!

It's kind of a BIG deal!

Registration is now closed.

You've ridden the wilds of western Pennsylvania. The hoots and hollers of Arkansas and Missouri. Bigfoot's haunts in Oregon. Now try your hand at an adventure ride across the land with all the lakes... big, beautiful Minnesota.

big_deal_outlined-XL.png

What is this? The GS Giant is a week-long adventure travel event held in conjunction with the BMW MOA International Rally. You can ride all or any part of the event. Most ride it for fun, but there is an element of competition. This year, we're doing an adventure poker run, and you pick up a card for your hand as you participate in the various parts of the event. All makes of bikes, all levels of skill are welcome.

It all starts ahead of the rally with the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour!

We're up to six group rides starting from various locations as indicated in the map below. You don't have to ride with the group

• Each ride starts with a meetup on Sunday evening, July 20th
  • 2-day ride departs on Monday morning, July 21.
  • There will be multiple options for Monday night lodging
  • All rides will converge on Tuesday, July 22 at the St. Croix Haven Campground in the St. Croix State Forest about 1.5 hours northeast of the Rally.
  • We'll party that night and pound ground the next day, riding on excellent adventure roads surrounding the campground and on down to the rally.

2014_GSG_GypsyTour-XL.png
Gypsy Tours will start in:

These are all make-your-own-arrangements deals.

You can roll your own Gypsy Tour if you want. Just get out there and ride!

The idea is to get one card at the beginning of each ride and another at the first night's camp. If you do something different, we'll figure it out at the second night, when everyone meets up in the St. Croix Forest.

On Wednesday, July 23, you can spend most of the day riding cool adventure roads like the Gandy Dancer Trail, or throughout the local OHV areas, and then head down to the rally in St. Paul. There you will find a club camping area for the Giants.

At the rally, there's more in store!

Well, not everyone has an entire week to ride, and some folks live close to the rally. So you can add cards to your hand in these ways, too:

• Show up early in the St. Croix State Forest, there's a ton of riding there
  • Post in social media as you ride on your own adventure - use the tag #GSGiant2014
  • Do a big ride around Minnesota and visit some very big POIs
  • Take a self-guided day ride (we'll have a Women-only version if we get a volunteer leader)
  • Take some training with the BMW Performance Center - these are sold out
  • Ride on the Adventure Track... practice or compete, or both

If you have registered you will be receiving an e-mail soon with much more detailed information!

The GS Giant is looking forward to seeing you there!

OK, I still don't get what this event is all about???

It's really not all that complicated. Here, watch this nice video from a recent GS Giant event.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zFG3tBHir6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Registration is now closed.

Last edited:
For budgetary purposes, has the cost been established yet?

And is there a place for a total n00b, with too much bike and no experience?

For budgetary purposes, has the cost been established yet?

It is free. The Gypsy Tour is on your own nickel, everything at the rally is covered by your rally entry fee. There may be some formal training options at additional cost.

And is there a place for a total n00b, with too much bike and no experience?

The GS Giant wants you to get involved!

All levels of skill are welcome and everything offers easy, medium and hard options. You get to ride with and learn from experienced riders, and as noted above in addition to extra-cost formal training options, there will be plenty of free time for informal training, such as practice on the track, easy day rides and seminars.

Here's a video shot by a friend, who wanted to express what the event is like from the rider's perspective...

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/45274986" width="750" height="422" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/45274986">ADVENTURE SUMMIT</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jonbeck">Jon Beck</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Try it now, you'll have manually enter your Province and Country, sorry. :D

Last edited:
Registered!:dance

I could make International Falls in a long day but if there's enough interest in the Dakota's I might start there.

Thanks!

Another one for St Croix

where is location of meet up in St. Croix.

I will be coming over from Maine, up into Canada through Montreal and Toronto, meeting up with the St Croix tour...whenever someone has details on this, please post them!

See U there!:wave

I will be coming over from Maine, up into Canada through Montreal and Toronto, meeting up with the St Croix tour...whenever someone has details on this, please post them!

See U there!:wave

You'll probably want one of the rides that start near the Soo Locks.

The all-paved option goes along Superior's north shore, and the dual-sport ride across the UP will be world class. (there is actually a paved option across the UP in this set of GPS routes.)

And if you're coming via Canada, check out the route that includes a ferry ride departing from the Bruce Peninsuala in Tobermory.

GS_GypsyTour_MOA_transp-L.png

Might be interested from the west (NE/SD) What ya got in mind?

OK... much of this is a WAG, but it starts at a very nice campground and takes you through the only twisties I've found in Nebraska.

Much of the points east are guesses by me, based on my nose for roads that I see on digital maps.

Note that you can zoom in on this map, and click/hold/drag it around to see the detail.

Are there any Giants in flyover land? :ha

<iframe src="//ridewithgps.com/routes/4725355/embed" height="800px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

OK... much of this is a WAG, but it starts at a very nice campground and takes you through the only twisties I've found in Nebraska.

Much of the points east are guesses by me, based on my nose for roads that I see on digital maps.

Note that you can zoom in on this map, and click/hold/drag it around to see the detail.

Are there any Giants in flyover land? :ha

<iframe src="//ridewithgps.com/routes/4725355/embed" height="800px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Your proposed route looks very good with the exception of the bit on IA 60. That road is 4 lane divided highway (yawn, DAMHIK). Mayhaps continue on IA 10 to US 59 instead. Most of the construction on 59 is complete so there shouldn't be a problem with that leg up to US 18. The drive around Okoboji should be scenic.

Once on to MN 60 and US 169 the views change once you get to the MN River valley and the run into the Cities. Your choice of MN 41 to MN 7 is good and the Hennepin Avenue to the Fairgrounds is likewise a good choice. You get to see all of downtown MPLS with this route.

Final question - is there a proposed date for a group ride? If so, I am VERY interested as I live 2 hr from the proposed starting point.

Last edited:
Final question - is there a proposed date for a group ride? If so, I am VERY interested as I live 2 hr from the proposed starting point.

Thanks for the route advice... I will tweak it a little.

The rides are self-directed, you can start and finish whenever you want. In the past, most groups meet up on a Sunday afternoon and converge on the rally on Wednesday.

This year will be a bit different, given that the rally location is so urban.

On Tuesday night there will be a place in the St. Croix State Forest where everyone will converge. This is a couple of hours (depending on the roads you take) northeast of the rally, with really nice dual-sport riding in the vicinity. The thought was to spend half a day riding that area with no luggage, then head down to the asphalt jungle.

Ian

Thanks for the route advice... I will tweak it a little.

The rides are self-directed, you can start and finish whenever you want. In the past, most groups meet up on a Sunday afternoon and converge on the rally on Wednesday.

This year will be a bit different, given that the rally location is so urban.

On Tuesday night there will be a place in the St. Croix State Forest where everyone will converge. This is a couple of hours (depending on the roads you take) northeast of the rally, with really nice dual-sport riding in the vicinity. The thought was to spend half a day riding that area with no luggage, then head down to the asphalt jungle.

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

BTW, I just drove the MN segment of MN 60 and US 169. There is a short segment of MN 60 bypassed to one side of the highway while they rebuild the roadbed on the other side. This is between Windom and St. James. No big deal but it might be tricky at night.

T

Grand Marais Camping

Are you considering the Superior's North Shore route for The GS Giant's Gypsy Tour?

Well then, I have it on good account that The Grand Marais Campground and Marina is an excellent place to camp for the night.

Of course, since this is the all-paved option for the Tour, hotels are also readily available. :ha

A question for riders on The GS Giant's Gypsy Tour

I've spotted two lodging options for Giants planning to ride the Wisconsin Gypsy Tour:

1) a nice secluded section of a State Park, next to a creek with its own restroom but no electric

2) a lakeside resort that has campsites with power and also offers cabins.

The lake place is a bit more expensive.

Any preference?

Questions

Hi all; I am just starting out on this GS type riding and have a few questions about this Gypsy Tour. Do we ride as a group and if so where will we meet on the International Falls start point. Are campsites already picked out for us, is there places to get food, etc, on the trail? Is a GPS absolutely required (new to that as well)? What kinds of things should I bring, besides the sleeping, tenting, clothing items? I would appreciate having some previous tour rider give me a rundown on how the whole thing works. Thanks very much.:bow

Back