It's kind of a BIG deal!
Registration is now closed.
You've ridden the wilds of western Pennsylvania. The hoots and hollers of Arkansas and Missouri. Bigfoot's haunts in Oregon. Now try your hand at an adventure ride across the land with all the lakes... big, beautiful Minnesota.
What is this? The GS Giant is a week-long adventure travel event held in conjunction with the BMW MOA International Rally. You can ride all or any part of the event. Most ride it for fun, but there is an element of competition. This year, we're doing an adventure poker run, and you pick up a card for your hand as you participate in the various parts of the event. All makes of bikes, all levels of skill are welcome.
It all starts ahead of the rally with the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour!
We're up to six group rides starting from various locations as indicated in the map below. You don't have to ride with the group
- Each ride starts with a meetup on Sunday evening, July 20th
- 2-day ride departs on Monday morning, July 21.
- There will be multiple options for Monday night lodging
- All rides will converge on Tuesday, July 22 at the St. Croix Haven Campground in the St. Croix State Forest about 1.5 hours northeast of the Rally.
- We'll party that night and pound ground the next day, riding on excellent adventure roads surrounding the campground and on down to the rally.
Gypsy Tours will start in:
- Brimley State Park (map) near Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, and ride across the UP or along Lake Superior's North Shore!
- Arnold's Campground in International Falls, MN, (map) and ride ride on the Trans MN Adventure Trail! Be sure to see Jim Klas's TMAT thread.
- Pikes Peak Campground, (map) in IA, and ride on the Trans WI Adventure Trail!
- Medora Campgrounds in Medora, ND, (map) Polarbear's ride.
- Clay's Way, from IL (map)... an ultimate adventure. Fun but not for the beginner.
These are all make-your-own-arrangements deals.
You can roll your own Gypsy Tour if you want. Just get out there and ride!
The idea is to get one card at the beginning of each ride and another at the first night's camp. If you do something different, we'll figure it out at the second night, when everyone meets up in the St. Croix Forest.
On Wednesday, July 23, you can spend most of the day riding cool adventure roads like the Gandy Dancer Trail, or throughout the local OHV areas, and then head down to the rally in St. Paul. There you will find a club camping area for the Giants.
At the rally, there's more in store!
Well, not everyone has an entire week to ride, and some folks live close to the rally. So you can add cards to your hand in these ways, too:
- Show up early in the St. Croix State Forest, there's a ton of riding there
- Post in social media as you ride on your own adventure - use the tag #GSGiant2014
- Do a big ride around Minnesota and visit some very big POIs
- Take a self-guided day ride (we'll have a Women-only version if we get a volunteer leader)
- Take some training with the BMW Performance Center - these are sold out
- Ride on the Adventure Track... practice or compete, or both
If you have registered you will be receiving an e-mail soon with much more detailed information!
The GS Giant is looking forward to seeing you there!
OK, I still don't get what this event is all about???
It's really not all that complicated. Here, watch this nice video from a recent GS Giant event.
Registration is now closed.