• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Web based trip planner

okiegman

I was surfing around over on ADVrider and found the following thread where the developer is asking for input on his new web based trip planner. I played with it and found it to be much more intuitive than Basecamp. You can plan your route and then import it into Basecamp to transfer to your garmin device.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the developer.

Disclaimer #2: I've only played with it and transferred into Basecamp. I have not yet transferred to device and actually taken a ride (have I told anyone I'm really tired of this winter?)

I have sent him a PM and invited to post over here so I may be overstepping.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959091

Here's a link to his site

https://trips.furkot.com

You can plan your route and then import it into Basecamp to transfer to your garmin device.

Is there an advantage to exporting to Basecamp before moving it to the GPS?
I just did a route, and I see where I can export to my computer, and from there move the PGX file to the GPS.

Good question

I had read through the thread and saw where it could be imported into Basecamp. I have not tried to hook up and transfer the route to my GPS either through Basecamp or directly through Furkot.

Maybe the developer will post and answer questions over here.

I just found it to be an easy/useful tool for planning routes and thought other's here might find the same.

When you get into the inner workings you can set your fuel range and daily riding range. It will plan fuel stops (based on filters you set I think for things like pure gas, camping vs. hotel, etc.)

I'm challenged when using the computer. I hope this will be easy for me to use.
Going to watch this thread closely. Excited that maybe this will be easy for me.

Is there an advantage to exporting to Basecamp before moving it to the GPS?
I just did a route, and I see where I can export to my computer, and from there move the PGX file to the GPS.

A route planned using map A will not give you expected results if your GPS is using map B. It is unlikely that using a non-garmin product to plan your route will result in something that will EXACTLY match your plan when moved to your GPS. It frustrating when you've spent a bunch of time planning then see the GPS do its "recalculating" thing, ignoring your desires.

Make a rough plan using the tool of your choice. Import that plan into Basecamp and make sure that Basecamp is using the same maps you have loaded on your GPS. Tweak route, if necessary, to make sure it follows your desired path. Now transfer to the GPS. There is still no guarantee that the route will look the same way on your GPS as it did in Basecamp, but you'll have a much better chance that it will at least be close :banghead

A route planned using map A will not give you expected results if your GPS is using map B. It is unlikely that using a non-garmin product to plan your route will result in something that will EXACTLY match your plan when moved to your GPS. It frustrating when you've spent a bunch of time planning then see the GPS do its "recalculating" thing, ignoring your desires.

Make a rough plan using the tool of your choice. Import that plan into Basecamp and make sure that Basecamp is using the same maps you have loaded on your GPS. Tweak route, if necessary, to make sure it follows your desired path. Now transfer to the GPS. There is still no guarantee that the route will look the same way on your GPS as it did in Basecamp, but you'll have a much better chance that it will at least be close :banghead

I don't disagree, I created a route and transferred it into Basecamp and the route was identical to the one created in Furkot. My route stayed on secondary state roads. I did not transfer the route to my GPSmap 478 nor have I ridden it. I have PM'd the developer and he seems to be engaged and willing to help and make changes to the software as needed.

Just thought it might be useful and easier to use than Basecamp. Since it has been a long winter I spent several weeks watching Norwoods videos and studying Basecamp in attempts to be more proficient. I will try and plan a short trip on Furkot and see how the routing works out.

I've put a considerable amount of time in to using Furkot and I think it is an easy replacement for BaseCamp if you use Tracks rather than Routes. To use Routes on your GPS you will be sending your GPS a GPX file with Route tagging from Stop-to-Stop (point-2-point) and the GPS will calculate your route so choosing the location and number of Stops is important. Depending upon which GPS device you are using, BaseCamp is no better or maybe even worse. If you are using either the BMW NAV5 or the zumo590LM, BaseCamp has the advantage of using Route Shaping Points between via points which just about assures you that the Route will be the same from As-Planned-in-BaseCamp to As-Used-on-the-GPS.

There have been many updates to Furkot since March, 2014. They have implemented over a dozen just form me, not to mention others.

Back