• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dining table leaves

Twice in my life I've purchased a dining table. In both cases, the table without leaves would seat 4 to 6 people. But, apparently, in belief that I may need to join a polygamist commune, dining tables are typically sold with two or more leaves that will remain unused for the duration of my ownership. Now, assuming that I'm not unique, what, if any, creative uses have you folks found for these nicely finished, but useless and never to be used pieces of wood?

Table leaves come in handy around our house. When we have our family Christmas party, we seat between 22-24 people, kids, spouses, sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. That requires the kitchen table and dining room table put together in the kitchen, with all the table leaves being used. We set up a smaller table just to place the food.

When we just have our immediate family for birthdays, the two leaves in our kitchen table allow us to seat fourteen.

Thank goodness we have table leaves and that we are not a polygamist commune! :D

Maybe one day there will be a use for your table leaves. :dunno

Table leaves come in handy around our house. When we have our family Christmas party, we seat between 22-24 people, kids, spouses, sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. That requires the kitchen table and dining room table put together in the kitchen, with all the table leaves being used. We set up a smaller table just to place the food.

When we just have our immediate family for birthdays, the two leaves in our kitchen table allow us to seat fourteen.

Thank goodness we have table leaves and that we are not a polygamist commune! :D

Maybe one day there will be a use for your table leaves. :dunno

Paul,

OK, now I feel bad. Real bad. A whole life wasted. And, all I had to fill it was whinning about excess table leaves..........

Jon

Depends.

Our's sit under the guest bed until we have to seat more than 8. Then they are brought out and put in.

I made them out of quarter swan oak. Re-used the base (it was still good).

We have friends that have a table that expands to seat 24, which is two less than their kids and grand kids. We only have 14 when everyone is home.

Gets used on holidays!

My D/R table came with four leaves that store right inside. Built by Amish in Maryland, fantastic quality.

Gets used on holidays!

My D/R table came with four leaves that store right inside. Built by Amish in Maryland, fantastic quality.

:thumb That's what neat with our 200 year old+ Quebec pioneer kitchen table; the two leaves store underneath the main table top. Without the leaves, six easily sit around the table and then with the leaves, seating for 14. However, it does have one downside. Since it is so old, and folks used to be shorter, knee clearance is less than a table would have today. Tall guests who are unaccustomed to the table, sometimes bump their knees the first time they sit down for a meal.

We inherited ours

From my wife's grandmother. Nice custom table with 4 leaves that gets used for Thankgiving and such. Seats 12 or 14 with room to spare. Went down to LA for a family wedding, my wife's cousin. Dinner table was the same maker but 10 leaves. Everyone gets to sit at the table but you have to send a letter if you want the mashed potatoes.

From my wife's grandmother. Nice custom table with 4 leaves that gets used for Thankgiving and such. Seats 12 or 14 with room to spare. Went down to LA for a family wedding, my wife's cousin. Dinner table was the same maker but 10 leaves. Everyone gets to sit at the table but you have to send a letter if you want the mashed potatoes.

Ten leaves?

I live in a Cape Cod style house. Ten leaves would stretch from wall to wall.

Not only is my garage inadequate. My house must be dinky.......

Well, no one has answered your question, "what, if any, creative uses have you folks found for these nicely finished, but useless and never to be used pieces of wood?" Seems that all the answers have ultimately just made you feel bad about not having the need for seating for friends and family. In effort to divert your mind from this seemingly depressing circumstance, I will first ask you to think of the times you've attended these large festive occassions and they have turned sour. Divorces were initiated, children disowned and firearms loaded. It is not all bad that your gatherings are necessarily... intimate. Next I will propose some alyernative uses for the unneeded chunks of finished wood: 1) You have a good start on an old fashioned wooden coffen. In fact, you may have enough to build a coffin for a pet. 2) Build a 2x4 frame and create a work bench, or if space is tight build one that is attached via hinges to a wall and will fold away. 3) Quietly place them on a neighbor's front porch, ring the bell and run.

More to follow.

...... made you feel bad about not having the need for seating for friends and family. In effort to divert your mind from this seemingly depressing circumstance.........

Jeezus.......I feel like one of those wretched characters in a Frank McCourt novel..........

Just send me to the Island of Mis-fit Toys, already..

Depends.

Our's sit under the guest bed until we have to seat more than 8. Then they are brought out and put in.

I made them out of quarter swan oak. Re-used the base (it was still good).

We have friends that have a table that expands to seat 24, which is two less than their kids and grand kids. We only have 14 when everyone is home.

Bud, if you store the leaves under a bed, I find it much less work to use full swan oak. Just pull out the table, get out your swan call, and the leaves will fly into place. This doesn't work, however, unless your swan call is made of oak. Now that I think about, quarter swan oak just might work but, for sure you have to have four leaves.

You're welcome.

Our leaves stay in 24/7...the dining room is about 15x20, and with out them, it looks silly.

Slightly related, when I was growing up as a poor white child, my dad made a table out of a 36x80 slab door; big enough for all 7 of us and a few extras that always seemed to be around!

36654, if you're really good with wood, you may be able to whittle them down into a Kermit chair, or two!

I've got 4 kids. 3 of them are married, and one of them has gifted us with a granddaughter. There's never less than 11 or 12 for any family gathering at my house. It's easier just to leave them in, since they're big, heavy and cumbersome and store easier mounted in the table that setting in a closet somewhere.

Take the extra leaves, build a trap, catch that PA Groundhog and Kill it... :thumb

Finally, an answer I can work with......

I'm currently trying to catch a Feral that has ripped the crap out of several of my window screens.....

Back